Cable For A Gps 72

Airmapper

I have a Garmin GPS 72 in addition to my AirMap. I'm wanting a cable for it so I can download Geocaches to the unit from my computer. I have been using the AirMap to cache, but I would like to be able to leave it in the truck and hooked up to the 12v, while I take the 72 to the cache. (Except for tree cover, I'm gonna take the Lowrance for that.)

Plus, would I need any software for that, or would GPSBabel take care of organizing data files.

Any place where I can get a data cable for the GPS 72 at a good price? I usually don't buy stuff on the internet, but I will from a reputable company.

GPSGeek has good prices on cables compatible with Garmin receivers, incl. the 72. They generally have significantly lower prices on their eBay store than they do if you order directly from their own website. I've found them to be a good company from which to buy accessories.

GPSGeek has good prices on cables compatible with Garmin receivers, incl. the 72.  They generally have significantly lower prices on their eBay store than they do if you order directly from their own website. I've found them to be a good company from which to buy accessories.

I can attest to what Peter has said about GPSGeek. Go to the 5th item down this page and see your cable for $16.99. I deal with them a lot and they are great doing business with.

I'm digging up my old topic in favor of starting a new one. Thanks for the above links, if/ when I do get the cord it will probably be from GPS Geek. I'm favoring the cable that doubles as a 12v power cord.

I still haven't got the cord, but the need for one has jumped higher since I have a Laptop to hook the GPS to. That brings my question: How do I get the computer and the GPS to "Talk." Will a mapping program configure this or will I need special drivers or software?

Depends on your laptop. If it has a serial port you'll just need the same software as you use on your desktop. For most "realtime navigation" like with Streets&Trips you'll need to set the interface on your GPS72 to NMEA.

If your laptop only has USB ports you'll have to get a USB/serial convertor and that will require drivers.

and for those who are unable/unwilling to buy on the internet, or simply do not have the patience to wait for the shipping, you can get one from bass pro shop for about $35-40 (circuit city and best buy do not carry it), and sometimes non " big-box"truck stops or boating/marine oriented shops will sell it as well. GPS 72 is not listed on the packaging as a supported system, but GPS 76 is. the regular 76's (NOT the map 76) parts are usually reverse-compatible with the 72. if you aren't sure, go to garmin's website and check the item number. the item number on the 4pin cable that I've described above is listed on garmin's accessories page for the 72.

and for those who are unable/unwilling to buy on the internet, or simply do not have the patience to wait for the shipping, you can get one from bass pro shop for about $35-40 (circuit city and best buy do not carry it), and sometimes non " big-box"truck stops or boating/marine oriented shops will sell it as well. GPS 72 is not listed on the packaging as a supported system, but GPS 76 is. the regular 76's (NOT the map 76) parts are usually reverse-compatible with the 72. if you aren't sure, go to garmin's website and check the item number. the item number on the 4pin cable that I've described above is listed on garmin's accessories page for the 72.

Sportsmans Warehouse is clearancing their Garmin 12V/serial cable setups for half of retail.

I have a 76 (higher resolution & external antenna version of the 72) It came with a serial cable.

Same cable can also be used on 12XL, GPS III, GPS IV, GPS V, 60 series & 76 series.