Experience Or Knowledge?

Having only a few caches under my belt due to lack of spare time in recent months, the following quandry has sprung to mind: -

In the past, when I've mentioned hiding a cache I've been e-mailed by, good willing, members who suggest that I refrain from doing so until I've found more caches. That way I'll have more experience.

So far, the caches I've found have been excellent, but mostly unextrodinary. I mean no criticism by this point! They've been hidden under piles of twigs, beneath fall or felled trees or in handy holes/overhangs.

It strikes me that it doesn't and shouldn't take much experience to place a cache. What is more desirable is a knowledge of the area you're using, to ensure that you're hidding the cache in a unique spot.

In my exploration of my locale, I've found just such a spot. Should I plough ahead and place a cache or hang on for more experience? Experience or knowledge?

I'd welcome your comments!

Just my £0.02's-worth...

I think that the principle of "wait until you've found a few caches before you you start hiding caches" works not because experience means you place a better cache, but because time can help to curb any over-enthusiasm which might tempt you to place a cache somewhere less than ideal.

Pragmatism is the key, IMHO. Regardless of how long you've been caching, you should review a location, cache type, etc. and make a considered judgement as to whether it's a good cache or not. Don't rush in and place one for the sake of placing one.

Obviously, you need to have found a few caches to be able to judge what makes a good cache, but not necessarily have found lots of them. I think my "finds" count was still in single figures when I placed my first cache. I haven't had any complaints about that cache, and I think that's largely due to the fact that I placed it in an areas I already knew well and was naturally well-suited to having a cache placed there

The advice to wait is to my mind so you have more knowledge of good hiding spots for the box rather than good places to hide a cache (hope that makes sense)

The more caches you see the more hiding places you will know about.

I have to admit that where we hide our caches has got better as time has gone by.

Id go for it

There are definately two aspects to hiding a cache, the general locale and the hiding place itself. The first is down to local knowledge but the second is where experience

really shows. That unimpressive pile of sticks may have been going unnoticed for years as muggles walked by within a few feet. The places you choose will get better over time but you have to start somewhere.

I only have a few caches to my name, that's because i have only recently found out about geocaching, what i do have is over 14 years serious walking/climbing experience.

For this reason i am planning to set a few caches myself, if certain people dont think me or anyone else for that matter is capable of setting a cache then they need not bother going on the walk, which in my opinion is half the enjoyment.

All i can say is your loss :)

Because with my experience of numerous areas you will be missing out.

With that i suggest you go for it mate, if they want moan let them, no point in being miserable in life, they obviously have nothing better to do.

Hope you enjoy setting up your fist cache, i know i will :):D:o:)

We found about 20 before placing any, this allowed us to work out what (for us) makes a good cache. We decided we like:

• A decent walk
  • An interesting location
  • Ammo boxes rather than tupperware
  • high quality contents

So that's what we try to place! When it comes down to it as long as you think carefully about what/where/how you are going to place a cache you should be OK.

Chris

For this reason i am planning to set a few caches myself, if certain people dont think me or anyone else for that matter is capable of setting a cache then they need not bother going on the walk, which in my opinion is half the enjoyment.

With that i suggest you go for it mate, if they want moan let them, no point in being miserable in life, they obviously have nothing better to do.

Hope you enjoy setting up your fist cache, i know i will :):):D:)

LW - I don't think "they" and "them" would have meant you to get the impression that this is such a strong feeling. It is nothing more than a rule of thumb, maybe not even that.

WW & LW - place your caches - everyone who can will do them.

The only point people are making is that two years down the line you might decide that your earlier caches aren't as strong as your later caches (you could always change them), or even, 2 years down the line you've not been caching for 23 months.

I only have a few caches to my name, that's because i have only recently found out about geocaching, what i do have is over 14 years serious walking/climbing experience.

Hope you enjoy setting up your fist cache, i know i will :):):D:)

It had better be a good one... :o:)