Public Art Works

I have been known to automatically create waymark categories on a whim, but I'd like to get some feedback on this category.

The idea is to locate public art displays - those usually commissioned by the state, city, or local art councils. Variables could be:

Artist Name

Title of Art (also the title of the waymark)

Date established/erected

Commissioned by Organization:

Materials (iron, copper, tin, etc)

Type of art piece (hanging, bolted, etc.)

What types of restrictions would be part of the description for this category? I'm thinking they should be permanent to semi-permanent and specific to commissioned art (instead of, say, spontaneous art that would disappear in time).

Fremont in Seattle is a place unique in their public art, so I really like this category :rolleyes:

There is an insect sculpture category, so I expect some duplication but the additional variables would help differentiate between the two categories.

Jeremy -

Do you envision that this category would encompass public buildings that are regarded as works of fine architecture, war memorials, miscellaneous monuments and statues, and WPA murals and the like?

Could be a really broad category depending on what the meaning of "public" and "art" are.

Will

i think that the category might be a little too broad.

yes the buildings are works of art, but they would also be in the 'museum' category.

there is a insect sculpture category, and a horse one i think. then the 'man on a horse'.

in Athens, we have the ceramic 'dawg' statues--to be posted in the dog category or in the "who let the dawgs out" category if i can create it(or someone else does).

these dawgs are the only thing i can think of in this area that was obviously commissioned. we do have markers around the city, but who commissioned them? what if the VFW commissioned it to donate to the city?

as in above post "Could be a really broad category depending on what the meaning of "public" and "art" are."

[edit]made a rated 'r' word with my spelling--glad i caught it.

Edited by ChapterhouseInc

I think this would be a wonderful catagoryIt sounds like a fun, exciting way to showcase the talents of local artists while supportinga locations nonprofit art and culture organizations. Our local community, Burlington County, in collaboration with New Jersey Transit, sponsored a public art project along the historic riverfront communities where the he art project, called The Eagles Have Landed, have a dozen or more life-sized eagles on moorings decorated and placed at the town stations along the River LINE for public viewing .The new River LINE light rail train connects Camden to Trenton.ce2c17c0-c57f-4b71-b04d-15f36e2e3531.jpgEaglesExample of Eagle

Edited by chstress53
Do you envision that this category would encompass public buildings that are regarded as works of fine architecture, war memorials, miscellaneous monuments and statues, and WPA murals and the like?

No. Public Art Works is very specific. They are commissioned art projects generally paid for by public funds but often through Non Profit grants. A building is not a Public Art Work.

We have nutcracker statues that were painted by various artists and are around Seattle. These are nonpermanent structures that wouldn't count. Some examples of public art works:

Fremont Troll by the Fremont Art Council

Waiting for the Interurban at the bottom of Fremont

The Safeco field Glove in front of the stadium

Often a new building requires a new commissioned sculpture as part of the deal. These are very specific kinds of art works. What we're trying to gather here is the artist, medium, and organization that commissioned the piece.

so then the dawgs in town wouldn't count because the government did not pay for them (seewe let the dawgs out)?

"Each sculpture has been paid for by an individual or corporate sponsor and painted by local artists. Plaques designate the artist and sponsor of each bulldawg.

"

other than the group/person paying for them, it seems that they would fit in this category.

“The goal of our bulldawg public art project was to instill in the citizens of Athens-Clarke County a deeper love and appreciation for art. We felt there is no better way to accomplish our goal than to expose people to public art. This is first and foremost an art exhibit”,

“Our bulldawgs will give people one more reason to visit Athens and experience all our city has to offer. Our bulldawg art exhibit not only highlights local artists and the masterpieces they have created, but will also benefit local charities. This project is an outstanding example of how various city, art and private sectors can become involved in a single project in order to further the arts in a community”

quotes taken from above website.

so then the dawgs in town wouldn't count because the government did not pay for them (seewe let the dawgs out)?

Nope. Commissioned art can be commissioned by non government agencies. I'll quote a recent post of mine:

No. Public Art Works is very specific. They are commissioned art projects generally paid for by public funds but often through Non Profit grants. A building is not a Public Art Work.

We have nutcracker statues that were painted by various artists and are around Seattle. These are nonpermanent structures that wouldn't count. Some examples of public art works:

This was actually a few posts above yours and shows an apples to apples comparison to the bulldog statues. They're not permanent so they wouldn't be in this category.

I also noted in the quote above that it doesn't have to be a government organization.

well, i downloaded the map toady, and went to check on some of them.

one has been in for repairs for over 6 months.

one had been damaged, and auctioned off--to some location in the 5 points area (see waymarks in zip code 30601).

one had moved from a buisness to a building on UGA campus.

and one location had an additional dawg. i have yet to figure which one it is.

so although they do move, it is rare. how would this be applicable to this category? could they be 'marked', and then the peer review system would alert if one has been relocated?

I like the idea.

Need to include variables identifying if the display is temporary (airport displays are often rotated, for example) or permanent.

Or, for example, the display in Central Park last spring that was on display for 10 days or so.

If the display is only temporary, perhaps "From" and "To" dates would work.

Wow! Waymarking seems to have opened up a whole new can of worms!

We have, in our little town of almost 10,000 people, the distinct honor of having Rafer Johnson as a "local celebrity". Not only is the Jr High named after him, but in town along the "downtown" area are some murals done on the sides of buildings. These depict mainly the Swedish history of the town, but there is one dedicated to Rafer Johnson. Does that mural count as a permanent art work? Does it fall under Art or People or History or Culture? I believe at this point in time, it is actually part of a virtual cache GCG9CX here in town, so would it still be able to be considered a Waypoint?

Many, many more questions in the future I am sure...so thank you in advance for the answers!

(of course you can't see the little happy dance I do when I figure out something myself or discover something new and fun!) :antenna:

I found an interesting website related to this topic yesterday. The Smithsonian American Art Museum maintains an inventory of outdoor sculptures by state. There are currently more than 32,000 outdoor sculptures in the inventory (and they know they don't have them all). See Smithsonian American Art Museum Inventory Too bad it is limited to only the United States.

....Interesting...Except when I click on "Hawai'i" I get - Iceland and Idaho- Outdoor Sculpture -- Howaii ^_^

....and no photos...

I found an interesting website related to this topic yesterday. The Smithsonian American Art Museum maintains an inventory of outdoor sculptures by state. There are currently more than 32,000 outdoor sculptures in the inventory (and they know they don't have them all). See Smithsonian American Art Museum Inventory Too bad it is limited to only the United States.

....Interesting...Except when I click on "Hawai'i" I get - Iceland and Idaho- Outdoor Sculpture -- Howaii :mad:

....and no photos...

I got same thing. Click previous 50 link and Hawaii will show :o I did not realize it has some international entries also.

Edited by BruceS

Is anybody taking the lead on starting a public art category? I've got one I wanted to submit but have no place to put it. :mad:

I'm still trying to read more about starting a new category. Which seems to be rather complicated and more time consuming than I have time for right now. :o

I'm thinking my current art submission could either be "public art" or perhaps "abstract sculptures". Anyway, right now it doesn't fit any of the current Art/Music categories listed. Anybody starting a new one? :P

Edited by wandererrob