Pdas

mstatedawg

Hello. I am VERY new to the geocaching world and I just found out that I could download all the cache information to a PDA. I really don't have much other use for a PDA, so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on a cheap one that will give me the funtionality that I need save waypoints, hints, comments, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Look for something like a Palm M500 or M505 on Ebay. You can pick one up for around $30. Something with 8 megs should give you enough room for thousands of cache pages. If you don't want to go the Ebay route, a bottom of the line Palm Zire will work just great.

You'll also want software for your Palm. Cachemate is an excellent app and is only 8 bucks (and worth 5 times that).

Edited by briansnat

YES I sugest starting with a used ebay one first. I didnt do that I purchased a new Palm Tungsten E for almost $200 and after about a month or 2 I figured out I was using it for everything not just caching and I really wanted the Palm TX so I could have wireless and bluetooth also since I am using this for work and home and pleasure. So I sold my Tungsten E and another cacher got a awsome deal on a 2 month old PDA so I could get my new one.

SO for sure if this is your first PDA go CHEAP that way if you use it only for caching you didnt pay too much and if you decide you want more, you still didnt pay too much for the first one and you wont take as much of a loss.

BUT, I have a bad habbit of jumpin into things like that.

Can you just imagine what my wife said when I told her I wasnt happy with my 2004 pickup BUT I know what I really want now.... LOL

J

I also recomened the cheap ones on ebay. I had an old IBM Workpad (PalmOS 3) that I stated using for caching. Once I used it for a while, I realized I needed more machine and bought an open box Zire72 from Palm for $130 shipped. Just the increase in hotsync speed is worth it to me, but I'm impatient. It's also much faster for things like the "find caches near this one" feature in cachemate. The fast CPU and hi-res screen were the deciding points for me. Not so much for caching, but I like old games and there are a lot of great emulators that can make use of it. The built in 1.2MP digicam was also very nice for taking quickie pics of fun caches and locations.

Palm m500 off e-bay $20-$30. Cachemate download for $8.00. GSAK download for onetime $20.00 afrer the free trial period expires. GSAK will give you several handy capabilities for managing your caches a couple of the handiest are direct loading of the waypoints and descriptive info into your GPSr and PDA devices. Premium membership to get the special GSX format files used by GSAK, multi-category filtering of cache downloads that are provided by custom Pocket Queries that you design to match your personal cache hunt objectives, $30/yr.

Combine all this stuff with a laptop and the mapping software that matches your GPSr vendor, a TV remote control, a case of diet Coke and two pounds of GORP and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your living room....you simply summon the caches and out of pure fear and intimidation, they come to you.

Happy caching!! ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati
Thanks for your help. I found of couple of prospects...I think. I really know NOTHING about PDAs.

What software is need to dl coordinates to the pda? What sort of "operating system" does my Pda need to have?

Thanks again!

Your Palm OS should be at least 3.0. With that, you should be good to go. The GSAK/CacheMate approach is described in detail here. Another approach using Plucker and Spinner is described by forum maven CyBret at his Geocacher U site.