Tips On Doing An Event Cache

I.R. Geonut

There is no central repository. I think its because events are as varied as the people who plan them so there is no one way to do it.

For instance one tip that I would give is not to hold your event in a cache rich park and/or don't place a lot of temporary caches specifically for the event. I find that it cuts down on the chances to socialize, as everyone is out looking for caches. I've been to these kinds of events and when I went to log it, I'd see logs from all these geocachers who were there that I never got to meet.

Now someone else will tell you to be sure to have plenty of caches available for everyone to hunt to keep them happy.

I think the best tip I can give is, plan the kind of event you would like to attend, make sure it conforms to the guidelines, post it and show up.

I'm a little like Brian. I've never hosted an event, but I was at an event once where the organizer had set up three temporary caches as prizes. The coordinates were handed out at the same time and everybody raced to find the box.

The third box was a mile or so away and the organizer suggested we might need to drive there. Well.. when we finally made it to the final spot (after having gone the wrong way at first) there were only about six cars there. All the others had gotten in their cars and gone home.

Although a few of us went out afterward for more caches, I thought it was kind of an odd ending to the event. I never did get a chance to meet everybody.

Jamie

First let me say that I like events and I mean like them a lot, can’t tell you how but will say what I like.

Have probably attended more events than anyone and have hosted several, the best attended ones are those where food is involved in one way or another, maybe that is why I can’t lose any weight Hee Hee

The most important part of any event is to give enough time for everyone to mingle and meet, to put faces with login names, swap stories on cool caches, and see all the different type of folks that are playing this great game. It always amazes me.

Have seen theses things at events but was there mainly for the meet and greet.

( 1 ) from one to eighty one temporarily caches hidden just for one event

( 2 ) door prizes

( 3 ) swapping gifts ( a xmas thing )

( 4 ) coin swaps, ( I do this one )

( 5 ) travel bug table

( 6 ) caches runs after an event ( I do sometimes )

( 7 ) FOOD, especially PIE, ( am a pie guy ) always

( 8 ) Different cache containers on display

( 9 ) Recognizing someone for a special achievement

( 10 ) class room type things like how to use a PDA or lap top while traveling, and working with local parks departments

Would like to leave you with one last thing, I have never been to a bad event ……… JOE

Food, Fun, Fellowship. Set a reasonable time frame - say 10am to 1 pm. Folks can meet greet mingle, have pot luck lunch and then hit the caching trail. Activities that split the group (like hunting temporary caches) are not a good thing, in my book. Awards are a good thing - we asked folks to name their favorite new hider in 2005 at our last event, and awarded him a Golden Ammo Can. There was one happy cacher. (Ulterior motive, he's been really busy hiding more!)

Here in Oklahoma, there are currently two major events per year 'Fallfest' and 'Springfling'. These two events take place over a weekend and are normally held in one of the state parks. Folks normally will start showing up on the Thursday before the weekend. Official events are ran on Saturday thru Sunday morning. Organized meals are furnished for Saturday Supper and Sunday breakfast and lunch. There are normally at least two separate adult games plus a childrens game to participate in during the official time. One game is normally set up by one individual or several. The second game is normally a bring and hide a temporary cache. This gives cachers a chance to show off their cache design skills. The temporary caches are collected and displayed during the Sunday lunch. Prizes are awarded mainly on a random draw basis. To address other issues brought up. Since this is a weekend long event, folks have plenty of time to cache and also to socialize. Many a tall tail have been told around a campfire, or at one of the furnished meals. I can't begin to describe my enjoyment at these events.

While there are the two major events, there are also monthly events. I live near Oklahoma City, so I have attended the one held there. It normally consist of a gathering at a local eatery and consist of mainly a short chance to visit.

Another enjoyable event that I attended was in London. It was held in one of the old pubs and was attended by many of the local cachers. Of course, being held in a pub meant a more adult atmosphere.

So to sum up, yeah, what everyone else said.

Edited by Team Madog

JoGPS has a great list of basics for a great event.

A couple of other important things I always make sure to have on hand are nametags for people to fill out, and stuff to keep kids entertained if it's a family event. I have a big bucket full of craft supplies that I keep stocked with construction paper, glue sticks, feathers, pipe cleaners, etc. I set up a separate table for kids to make their own "travel bugs" -- keeps 'em entertained for quite awhile.

Would having an event at a beer brewery or a bar out of the question? I have a place in mind that is a brewery. There is no smoking and people usually have pizza delivered :anitongue: It's in the middle of a huge caching town (meaning lots of local caches) and it's a rather personal place. People actually use the facility to brew their own beer. I just don't know how ethical it would be for this sport.

Would having an event at a beer brewery or a bar out of the question?

Here in CT we have two monthly events, and both take place in a bar. We start them at 7pm, and they run to whenever. Food and drink are available, which makes them an excellent and easy way to meet local cachers. We have a raffle, we celebrate milestones, and of course we talk about caching. One of the events moves to a different location each month, within the Hartford area. This gives everyone a new smilie each month, and we've also taken to hiding a new cache nearby to double the fun.

We also have bigger events throughout the year. Some of the best have been held at state campgrounds, so people can stay overnight. During the day we hunt caches, have a big picnic lunch, hunt some more caches, then hang out around the campfire trading war stories. It makes for a great weekend. Because the events are so long, you usually have a chance to mix up the socializing and the cache hunting. And the campgrounds are typically near water, so we have planted many "hydro caches" that are only accessible by boat.

I've seen both sides of the socializing vs. caching argument. I tend to not socialize as much as some, so I like having caches to hunt. But I cannot argue that caching should take precedence over socializing. If I were to plan an event I would plant caches for those who prefer it, but make sure to have plenty of time set aside for socializing as well. Planning a single time to eat is usually a good way to ensure that everybody is in one place at one time.