Geocoins

REHass

I would like to know how other cachers feel about these virtual geocoins being placed in regular caches. I don't have a problem with geocoins being logged for the icon only. I do have a problem with virtual geocoins being in regular caches. I think it is dissappointing to go to a cache and find there isn't a coin there. :P If people are going to log virtual coins then couldn't they log them in virtual caches only. :D That way if a coin makes a stop it will be in a cache that doesn't exist and won't dissappoint a cacher who is expecting to find a coin in a cache that has it listing a coin. :P This may be a guideline that some cachers are not following I don't know. I just wanted to vent off being that geocoins are selling like wildfire and are ending up in active caches when they are only virtuals. Wanted to know how others feel about this. Maybe it is just me don't know. Why I am posting.

I am not sure what "virtual" geocoins are or how they work.

I see that people have placed photocopied coins in caches so others can log them and the coin gets the mileage. (Since you are talking about only placing virtual coins in virtual caches, I am thinking this is not what you are referring to.) I don't have any problem with that. I will never willingly place a coin in a cache. I have started eight TBs so far, and they have all be lost or stolen. I have several unstarted TB tags. I will probably give them away as prizes rather than send them out to get lost or stolen along with all my other ones.

I like the idea of being able to place facsimiles of my coins in caches for people to see, log and pass along. I haven't done it yet, but I might start when things in my life slow down enough for me to start actively caching again. (Winter break starts next Tuesday!)

I would be interested in learning what virtual geocoins are and hearing what others have to say about them.

Nomad

of Nomad and the Librarians

I like the idea of a photo copy of a coin and placed in a cache. I have found a few TB's to have a photocopy of the dogtag and gone on. That is something physical in there. I am talking about having a geocoin icon on a cache page and getting to the cache and there is nothing there. You can see the icon on the cache page but the coin itself is somewhere's else. I have been to cache's with geocoin icons on the cache page and have a real geocoin in them. I post the coin and drop it into another cache. This was before the geocoin had much attention paid to it. The coin was passed on from cache to cache like a TB. Now regular cache's are showing the geocoin icon and having nothing in it. The coin page has no tracking numbers or anything. It is a useless icon sitting in a regular cache.

I don't have an issue with anything being tracked as long as you know what it is. If it's not the real coin, It should be clearly stated on the Coin's page that this is a spirit coin.

As long as it says what it is, and there is a physical object in the cache, there is no harm. (I'm also assuming that Joe Jackass didn't take the original coin and replace it with a virtual...that's another thing).

When you pay for the tracking number from this site (or any other for that matter) you are paying for the tracking. Not what's being tracked. Someone else takes care of that.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Personally, I won't log anything I don't really "find". So, if someone copies a coin and lamintates it, my preference is that they do not call it the coin, but something like "Happy Coin Copy" or some such thing. This would clearly identify it as a copy and not the original for those "hunting".

As for Virtual coins and trading for numbers -- I personally do not allow this with my coins or do this myself. Honestly though, if other do it with their coins and friends -- I don't care. I do, however, find it really odd and don't see the appeal (which is why I don't do it myself I guess)

I think virtual geocoins are ridiculous. If someone wants to activate a coin and make it into a virtual...that's fine by me. I agree with REHass that if it is a virtual coin...it does not need to be placed in a regular cache. I have been e-mailed lists of vitrual geocoins in the past. I just refuse to log them.