Caching In Sw Michigan? Beware

Mr. TSP

Just in case the link stops working, here's the article from the South Bend, Tribune:

December 10. 2005 6:59AM

Cougar confirmed in Berrien County

Officials urge residents to keep pets inside if possible.

JEFF ROMIG

Tribune Staff Writer

A cougar is officially roaming Berrien County.

A doctor from the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy confirmed Friday that it was a large cat, and not a dog or coyote, that mauled a horse in Watervliet the weekend after Thanksgiving.

"It's as airtight as you can get in my opinion," Dr. Patrick Rusz, director of Wildlife Programs said following a necropsy that was performed on the horse Friday.

Earlier in the afternoon, Berrien County Sheriff Paul Bailey had conveyed the same conclusion.

"It's definitely a cat," he said.

Earlier this week, Berrien County Animal Control Manager Val Grimes issued a warning to Berrien County residents of the possibility that a mountain lion or cougar was on the loose.

She said there had been "all kinds" of sightings and rumors of some sort of large cat in the area over the past year, but nothing was confirmed until officials saw the damage done to this horse.

County officials are urging residents with outdoor pets or livestock to put them inside if at all possible.

"We need everyone to pay attention," Grimes said on Dec. 5. "If they can get them in, get them in."

She said animals should be in barns at night, and pets should not be allowed to run loose at any time.

Rusz said they determined that it was a cougar because of the bite marks on the horse.

He said at least six of them went through the bone and another eight were "fairly deep," ripping at least 1 3/4 inches into the horse, which he said is consistent to the length of a typical cougar fang.

"It's definitely not a dog or a coyote," Rusz said.

Staff writer Jeff Romig:

jromig@sbtinfo.com

Another example on why it is so important to utilize the "buddy" system while geocaching. Another piece of advice I would offer is to make noise while in the woods so as not to startle any cougar or bear. As with all animals, outside of extreme hunger and protecting their young, they avoid contact with humans. Most attacks occur when the animal feels threatened; or their young is threatened. Another threat to look for is in the warmer seasons involving rattle snakes. Though there is not a large population in the state, I would be prudent with where I reached my hands.