Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Just got GSAK 6.5 and started loading data. After working with the default DB saved as a new name. Did filters on new DB and saved as default DB after clearing Default of all waypoints. Then saved Default as a new DB name. Now to clean up my work space, I tried to remove the databases no longer needed. Have several that are not listed when I do the Database>Remove routine. The other databases appear in the drop down menu directly above the database listing.

How do I get rid of the other DB's? Worked fine in the last version,

You should be able to delete a GSAK database by using Database=>Remove

However, perhaps some how you now have a read only or corrupt file that is stopping GSAK from completely removing it.

Databases are just folders in your data folder (See Tools=>Options=>General). These folder have the same name as your database. You can always delete them by opening Windows Explorer and using it to delete the folder(s)

I am trying to install GSAK on my upstairs Desktop, having been using it for a while now on the laptop. It has never been on the desktop, so i downloaded the beta a little while ago, and now the final build 57.

Both install quite happily, but neither will run. I open GSAK, and it produces a kernal problem and won't open. I appreciate this isn't a GSAK problem per se, but I can' fathom why it won't open. Its running XP Pro, and is a fresh install, having reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled about 3 weeks ago.

Has anyone come across this problem? I'm running Zone Alarm and Norton AV 2005, but it doesn't appear to be rerlated to them. Any help gratefully received!!

Dave

I am trying to install GSAK on my upstairs Desktop, having been using it for a while now on the laptop. It has never been on the desktop, so i downloaded the beta a little while ago, and now the final build 57.

Both install quite happily, but neither will run. I open GSAK, and it produces a kernal problem and won't open. I appreciate this isn't a GSAK problem per se, but I can' fathom why it won't open. Its running XP Pro, and is a fresh install, having reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled about 3 weeks ago.

Has anyone come across this problem? I'm running Zone Alarm and Norton AV 2005, but it doesn't appear to be rerlated to them. Any help gratefully received!!

Dave

Norton AV is possibly causing this. Try setting it so that it doesn't check the GSAK folder.

This sort of problem has been reported previously and it is 'normally' caused by AV software.

<snip>

Thanks for you idea's went tru them all but no luck  :P

i have been able to open old notes and the dialog box pops up ok

weird one this

Email me the text file you are trying to load and I will take a look at it and should be able to track down the problem.

Thanks Clyde

email on its way :D

First of all I don't know if this was happening on previous releases or not. I just started using GSAK to create a database of solved puzzle caches. I was experimenting uploading that database along with a pocket query from GC.COM. I am uploading these to a GARMIN 60C. Because I hadn't changed the SmartName the pq was being overwritten. OK I solved that, but then doing some compares after the uploads I noticed that every once in a while the uploaded coordinates were off by .001 less on the west when the got to my GARMIN. So something like W81 49.900 might end up W81 49.899. This happens on both my entered puzzle solutions AND data from a pocket query. Any ideas?

First of all I don't know if this was happening on previous releases or not. I just started using GSAK to create a database of solved puzzle caches. I was experimenting uploading that database along with a pocket query from GC.COM. I am uploading these to a GARMIN 60C. Because I hadn't changed the SmartName the pq was being overwritten. OK I solved that, but then doing some compares after the uploads I noticed that every once in a while the uploaded coordinates were off by .001 less on the west when the got to my GARMIN. So something like W81 49.900 might end up W81 49.899. This happens on both my entered puzzle solutions AND data from a pocket query. Any ideas?

Please see this post

<snip>

Thanks for you idea's went tru them all but no luck  :blink:

i have been able to open old notes and the dialog box pops up ok

weird one this

Email me the text file you are trying to load and I will take a look at it and should be able to track down the problem.

Thanks Clyde

email on its way ;)

As usual Kai Team was pretty much on the money - had it right with his third idea in this post

The problem is that the notes you are importing are not matching on the code in the GSAK database. Looking at the notes file you sent me it would appear you have used %smart for the waypoint code when generating the GPX file to use in GPXSonar. Change this to %code for your next generation and the notes feature should work again.

Here's a new request, I think....

I've been experimenting with the "Grab Coordinates" feature, which I like, although it will take a while before I really get the hang of separating the useful coordinates from the crud, and get the naming of them right so I can really make use of them.

But, as I say, I've been experimenting. And so I've generated some coordinates, and the deleted them, and discovered that I can't regenerate them again. Presumably because of the feature which is described in the help as "GSAK will also "remember" the waypoints grabbed from each cache and will not duplicate if you run the grab again."

Now this is a fine thing... except that now I want to reset it. The ideal would be to have another menu option to do so, so that one could reset the data for some range of waypoints under a filter. The less ideal, but workable now, would be to somehow unload those points and reload them sans the saved grab information?

So, where is the mystic grab information stored, and what can be done to reset it? At least in the interim, before a "Forget Grabs" or "Ungrab" or whatever-it-should-be-called command appears.

Clyde? Or anyone else who has been messing with this new feature???

Here's a new request, I think....

I've been experimenting with the "Grab Coordinates" feature, which I like, although it will take a while before I really get the hang of separating the useful coordinates from the crud, and get the naming of them right so I can really make use of them.

But, as I say, I've been experimenting.  And so I've generated some coordinates, and the deleted them, and discovered that I can't regenerate them again.  Presumably because of the feature which is described in the help as "GSAK will also "remember" the waypoints grabbed from each cache and will not duplicate if you run the grab again."

Now this is a fine thing... except that now I want to reset it.  The ideal would be to have another menu option to do so, so that one could reset the data for some range of waypoints under a filter.  The less ideal, but workable now, would be to somehow unload those points and reload them sans the saved grab information?

So, where is the mystic grab information stored, and what can be done to reset it?  At least in the interim, before a "Forget Grabs" or "Ungrab" or whatever-it-should-be-called command appears.

Clyde?  Or anyone else who has been messing with this new feature???

I don't quite understand.

If you have deleted the "grabbed" waypoints then you should be able to regenerate them again with another grab. I do this quite often.

As far as "remember", GSAK just compares the coordinate pairs for any grabbed waypoint and if those exact coordinate pairs already exist in the database as a "grabbed" waypoint then it will not be generated (stops duplication)

So there is either a strange bug here (I have no other reports) or you haven't actually deleted the grabbed waypoints in the first place.

Edit: One other thought - perhaps when you do the grab you are taking the option to grab from the current waypoint (which doesn't have any to grab) rather than the current subset/filter.

cap70.png

Edited by ClydeE
First of all I don't know if this was happening on previous releases or not.  I just started using GSAK to create a database of solved puzzle caches.  I was experimenting uploading that database along with a pocket query from GC.COM.  I am uploading these to a GARMIN 60C.  Because I hadn't changed the SmartName the pq was being overwritten.  OK I solved that, but then doing some compares after the uploads I noticed that every once in a while the uploaded coordinates were off by .001 less on the west when the got to my GARMIN.  So something like W81 49.900 might end up W81 49.899.  This happens on both my entered puzzle solutions AND data from a pocket query.  Any ideas?

Please see this post

Ok... thanks. Just never looked that closely before. No wonder sometimes I find them 6 feet from GZ. :)

Not sure if this is a bug or a good feature...!* or another mistake by me.

I am using the latest (6.5 Build 57) GSAK and I am exporting a gpx file for viewing in GpxSonar.

If I want to export a gpx file, when the Export GPX/Loc File window open, if I leave the Limit number of logs set to No limit, I actually get no logs at all. I need to select, say, 5 logs, and then I get the 5 when I open GpxSonar.

I presume No limit should mean all the available logs rather than none at all when viewing on my PDA using GpxSonar as there is a separate option in the drop down window for zero logs.

*This could be good if the file size becomes too big?? However, I was only

exporting the details of 4 caches so I wouldn't have thought this was an

issue.

Not sure if this is a bug or a good feature...!* or another mistake by me.

I am using the latest (6.5 Build 57) GSAK and I am exporting a gpx file for viewing in GpxSonar.

If I want to export a gpx file, when the Export GPX/Loc File window open, if I leave the Limit number of logs set to No limit, I actually get no logs at all. I need to select, say, 5 logs, and then I get the 5 when I open GpxSonar.

I presume No limit should mean all the available logs rather than none at all when viewing on my PDA using GpxSonar as there is a separate option in the drop down window for zero logs.

*This could be good if the file size becomes too big?? However, I was only

exporting the details of 4 caches so I wouldn't have thought this was an

issue.

Hmm, are you sure about this?

I have no other reports of this problem and when I generated a GPX file selecting "no limit" I get all the logs as expected.

Take a look at the actaul GPX file before opening GPXSonar - can you see the logs inside it?

This has been asked (and answered) several times in the past and I can't remember the answer since I didn't have two machines running in the past.  With search now disabled on these forums, I can't find the answer.  A peek at the FAQ didn't help, so I'm on to the help files and this post now.

I've been running GSAK forever now on my laptop, but I've finally got my desktop back up and running.  Laptop has GSAK and it's DB's installed at C:\GSAK.  I've shared that dir and have mounted it as J:\ from my desktop.

Question #1:  Can I run GSAK on desktop and point it to the DB's on laptop?  (first making sure GSAK is not running on laptop to avoid data collusion)

(CymSnip)

#1. Yes. Clyde has said that GSAK is not a true multi-user program (that allows two users simultaneously). However, you can put the databases in any folder on any networked machine and point to the same database folder from another installation of GSAK on another machine (through Tools>Options>General "Database Folder") as long as you don't have two installations of GSAK accessing the databases at the same time (i.e. run only one at a time).

(CymSnip)

EDIT: Heh.. had a "duh" moment and a bright idea right after posting. I figured it out, I think. I only had permissions on laptop machine set to "read". GSAK most definitely wants to "write", and right away. Changing permissions to Modify/create seems to have done the trick! Now I just gotta copy over my filters and saved settings and.. hmm, lots of other stuff, but oh well. :lol:

Edited by Cymbaline

Dave

Norton AV is possibly causing this. Try setting it so that it doesn't check the GSAK folder.

This sort of problem has been reported previously and it is 'normally' caused by AV software.

I've disabled Norton AV, and it doesn't seem to have helped... Clyde, I've sent you an e-mail on this one, with screenshot. As I say, I don't know if you've seen it before, and its not a GSAK bug, its more the settings on the machine.

any chance for a Mac version of GSAK?

Asked and answered previously in the negative. I'd markwell it, but search is disabled and my memory ain't that good.

The answer is a polite and fully justified "no". As another mac user, I would love to have a version for my preferred machine, but given the tools Clyde is using and the time required to develop the product for the mac, I fully understand why it would not be a good business decision to develop and support another version of gsak for another platform.

Jon

Can't find this simple thing within GSAK or in this thread, but here is the question.

I have a small db with approx 60 caches that my youngest daughter has found. I want to set ALL these to have the "found" field checked so they are yellow highlighted and show correctly when I export them to her new GPSr. I can not find a way to select and edit all the GSAK entries at once?

Thanks!

Can't find this simple thing within GSAK or in this thread, but here is the question.

I have a small db with approx 60 caches that my youngest daughter has found.  I want to set ALL these to have the "found" field checked so they are yellow highlighted and show correctly when I export them to her new GPSr.  I can not find a way to select and edit all the GSAK entries at once?

Thanks!

Try clicking on <database> <global replace>

An icone is also available for that

Edited by Nomade

Try clicking on <database> <global replace>

An icone is also available for that

Thanks!

Your first suggestion works great.

What do you mean that "an icon is also available for that"?

If you go to "customize tool buttons" and select "database" you'll see a button titled "global replace" you can put this tool button on the speed bar where all the icones are.

PS: to customize tool button, right click on the speedbar

Edited by Nomade
Question #1: Can I run GSAK on desktop and point it to the DB's on laptop? (first making sure GSAK is not running on laptop to avoid data collusion)

Ok, I"m doing this now, and it's working well. HOWEVER...

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY change the database folder? Every time I start GSAK I gotta change the location. At loadtime it changes back to the default install location (in my case, c:\utils\geo\gsak\data, instead of u:\gsak\data).

Thanks!

Question #1:  Can I run GSAK on desktop and point it to the DB's on laptop?  (first making sure GSAK is not running on laptop to avoid data collusion)

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY change the database folder? Every time I start GSAK I gotta change the location. At loadtime it changes back to the default install location (in my case, c:\utils\geo\gsak\data, instead of u:\gsak\data).

Thanks!

I am struggling to think of a reason why this should be so (and I can't repeat)

This setting is saved in the GSAK.ini file so it should automatically be a sticky setting.

A bit of a long shot, but the only thing I can think of is that there has been a restore of your settings at some stage (File=>Restore) or for some reason your GSAK.ini file is not being updated with this setting.

You can check the latter by making the change, exiting GSAK, then opening the GSAK.ini file in notepad and interrogating this entry:

edtDataStore.Text=

This isn't exactly a bug in gsak, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

If a cache gets archived, then (as expected) it doesnt download with new .gpx files. The question/problem is, how do I get gsak to recognize that a cache has been archived?

I have a query for disabled caches, by selecting "is not active" on the pocket query page, and this will mark the disabled (but not yet archived) caches, but if a cache gets archived then gsak has no record of it.

Any suggestions?

This isn't exactly a bug in gsak, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

If a cache gets archived, then (as expected) it doesnt download with new .gpx files. The question/problem is, how do I get gsak to recognize that a cache has been archived?

I have a query for disabled caches, by selecting "is not active" on the pocket query page, and this will mark the disabled (but not yet archived) caches, but if a cache gets archived then gsak has no record of it.

Any suggestions?

Please see this post

Thanks!

I am struggling to think of a reason why this should be so (and I can't repeat)

This setting is saved in the GSAK.ini file so it should automatically be a sticky setting.

A bit of a long shot, but the only thing I can think of is that there has been a restore of your settings at some stage (File=>Restore) or for some reason your GSAK.ini file is not being updated with this setting.

You can check the latter by making the change, exiting GSAK, then opening the GSAK.ini file in notepad and interrogating this entry:

edtDataStore.Text=

Wouldn't you know it, I can't get it to reproduce now either.

I suspect I know what the problem was, but i can't prove it - network authentication. My prior problem was with permissions, but got that sorted. I noticed that my drive assignmetns weren't automagically taking effect after reboots, which is when I went "duh" and realized that I had to authenticate to the laptop. Switching some settings around solved that problem, so they auto-connect now.

Could it be possible that if the drive wasn't mounted GSAK was defaulting back to it's installation folder?

Regardless, it's "fixed", but I'll definitely keep an eye out in case it repeats.

a couple of questions from a newbie - sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find answers via a search...

1) is there a "special tag" for the new "User data 2" field (e.g., "%user2") so that you can use it in names or comments as you do for the standard User data field? (I realize I can achieve this with the %macro tag, but wondered if there was a more direct way)

2) is it possible to see the info in the "User data 2" field in the split screen view AND the condensed HTML print feature? (I realize that I could put this additional info into "the "Notes" field or incorporate it into the regular "User data" field and then it would show up in the split screen and HTML print output, but am hoping there is a way to have the data from 2 seperate fields both appear at the top of the printout)

3) ALTERNATELY, if I wanted to put 2 kinds of info into the regular "User data" field, is there some way to do it in batches? I figured out how to accompish a global replace, but is there any kind of global edit feature that allows you to add some info to the beginning or end of a field - e.g., if I want to add the term "SF" (for snowflake icon; i.e., accessible in winter) at the start of the "User data" field for 50 or more caches, without replacing the info info that is already their (i.e., location info such as "Home" for caches near my house that I have indentifeid as potentially intersting to visit; "In-laws" for caches of potential interest near my in-laws place; etc)

Cheers, Greg (of the somainers) - by the way , this program is absolutely awesome! I downloaded it a couple of months ago and fiddled with it a little, but in the past few weeks have realy come to discover it's power AND relative ease of use (after a somewhat steep learning curve). Clyde, if you are out there listening, this baby rocks! And sorry for being so lazy to register...

I have tried and tried to do this and get nothing as my result. Somebody please help.....

I'm trying to generate a "data stream" as per the instructions under the microset command.

I want to go to one of my existing filters and export it's information. And then use that information in a <DATA> statement of a macro.

How do I do this???

I have tried and tried to do this and get nothing as my result. Somebody please help.....

I'm trying to generate a "data stream" as per the instructions under the microset command.

I want to go to one of my existing filters and export it's information. And then use that information in a <DATA> statement of a macro.

How do I do this???

Unfortunately there is a bug with the generation of the "data stream file" (read it just doesn't get generated) which wasn't picked up before 6.5 went final.

I do have a patch for this for anyone that needs it - haven't made it public because I wanted to wait a while and collect any other "anomalies" before doing a public maintenance release.

Just send me an email if you need it.

(PapaTom2, I am sending to you direct)

The answer to all three questions is in a word "macro" :lol:

1) is there a "special tag" for the new "User data 2" field (e.g., "%user2") so that you can use it in names or comments as you do for the standard User data field?  (I realize I can achieve this with the %macro tag, but wondered if there was a more direct way)

Currently the only way to to this is via the %macro tag. I will look at adding a %user2 tag in a future release

2) is it possible to see the info in the "User data 2" field in the split screen view AND the condensed HTML print feature?  (I realize that I could put this additional info into "the "Notes" field or incorporate it into the regular "User data" field and then it would show up in the split screen and HTML print output, but am hoping there is a way to have the data from 2 seperate fields both appear at the top of the printout)

Yes, but again you need to use the %macro tag. The beauty of this tag is that you can put just about any information in the GSAK database on that line.

3) ALTERNATELY, if I wanted to put 2 kinds of info into the regular "User data" field, is there some way to do it in batches?  I figured out how to accompish a global replace, but is there any kind of global edit feature that allows you to add some info to the beginning or end of a field - e.g., if I want to add the term "SF" (for snowflake icon; i.e., accessible in winter) at the start of the "User data" field for 50 or more caches, without replacing the info info that is already their (i.e., location info such as "Home" for caches near my house that I have indentifeid as potentially intersting to visit; "In-laws" for caches of potential interest near my in-laws place; etc)

Yes, but this one requires a macro. Just set a filter on the 50 or so caches you want to change and then run the following macro:

Goto Position=Top
While .not. $_eol
 $d_User2 = "SF" + $d_User2
 Goto Position=Next
EndWhile
Goto Position=Top

Edited by ClydeE

man, you are fast!

somainer: 2) is it possible to see the info in the "User data 2" field in the split screen view AND the condensed HTML print feature?  ...

ClydeE: Yes, but again you need to use the %macro tag. The beauty of this tag is that you can put just about any information in the GSAK database on that line. 

Not sure which "line" you are referring to... Do you mean to say that I can use a macro to extract info from the "User data 2" field and incroporate it into either the "User data" or "Notes" field (the former being shown by default in condensed HTML output, and the latter can be selected) OR is there a way to use a macro to desigante specific fields to show up in cedrtain "lines" of the split screen view and the condensed HTML - and if so, can you give suggestions as to how to accomplish this?

somainer: 3) ALTERNATELY, if I wanted to put 2 kinds of info into the regular "User data" field, is there some way to do it in batches? ...

ClydeE:  Yes, but this one requires a macro. Just set a filter on the 50 or so caches you want to change and then run the following macro:

Goto Position=Top
While .not. $_eol
 Goto Position=Next
EndWhile
Goto Position=Top

Cooooooll.... I will give this a try.

Goto Position=Top
While .not. $_eol
 Goto Position=Next
EndWhile
Goto Position=Top

If I'm reading this correctly, Clyde's macro replaces the current contents of User Data 2 with "SF" and the current contents of User Data 2 (i.e. it adds "SF" to the current contents of user data 2).

To show SF in the split screen view, I believe you'd want the following, which adds SF to the current contents of User Data, a filed that already displays in the split screen and condensed HTML:

Goto Position=Top
While .not. $_eol
 $d_UserData = "SF" + $d_UserData 
 Goto Position=Next
EndWhile
Goto Position=Top

Edit: be sure to filter for the 50 caches you want to add SF to before running this macro - otherwise it will add "SF" to the user data of all caches in your current database!

Edited by Kai Team

Yes, sorry for the confusion, my example was for "$d_User2" but it is "$d_userdata" that shows in every cache page.

However, I would just like to make it clear that just about any database information (including $_User2) can be displayed on the same line as the cache icon.

What actually gets printed on this line is the special tags you have configured (picture shows GSAK defaults)

cap71.png

So by adding (or substituting) the %macro special tag here you can get any manner of information to display on that line.

Edited by ClydeE
after selecting Magellan GPS, the checkbox for USB disappears, and I am forced to select Com 1, 2, or 3 for my connection. When I have it plugged into a USB port with the (serial to USB) adapter cable, selecting Com 1, 2 or 3 doesn't work, and I get errors that the GPS cannot be found.

When using a serial/USB adapter cable, it appears to the PC as a COM port, even though it's plugged into a USB port. USB is only the mechanism by which the serial connection is made to the PC.

GSAK shows all available COM ports in that box (normally I'll only see COM1-COM4, but when I plug in the serial/USB cable from my eTrex Legend, COM5 magically appears as well). If none of COM1-COM3 are your adapter's address, then I think the problem lies with the drivers for your serial/USB adapter or with something else using the COM port that those drivers have set up.

I have a problem in a similar vein.

I'm using GSAK 6.5 build 57 and am trying to "Send Waypoints..." to my GPSr (Garmin Geko 201).

I have a serial / usb port converter, so the 201 is plugged into the converter and the converter plugged into a usb port. (Saves diving behind the pc every time I want to plug the GPSr in !!)

Windows (device manager) reports the converter as available on Com19 (without any errors) so I should be able to set com port in GPS setup to COM19

But, when I open the GPS setup dialogue box and drop down then box for Communications port, every port I have, except 19, is available.

I have the "Use usb" unchecked.

Needless to say I cant "Send Waypoints..." to the Geko.

Any ideas ??

Great stuff Clyde et all. Have learnt quiet a bit reading this forum.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

Edited by CrazyL200
after selecting Magellan GPS, the checkbox for USB disappears, and I am forced to select Com 1, 2, or 3 for my connection. When I have it plugged into a USB port with the (serial to USB) adapter cable, selecting Com 1, 2 or 3 doesn't work, and I get errors that the GPS cannot be found.

When using a serial/USB adapter cable, it appears to the PC as a COM port, even though it's plugged into a USB port. USB is only the mechanism by which the serial connection is made to the PC.

GSAK shows all available COM ports in that box (normally I'll only see COM1-COM4, but when I plug in the serial/USB cable from my eTrex Legend, COM5 magically appears as well). If none of COM1-COM3 are your adapter's address, then I think the problem lies with the drivers for your serial/USB adapter or with something else using the COM port that those drivers have set up.

I have a problem in a similar vein.

I'm using GSAK 6.5 build 57 and am trying to "Send Waypoints..." to my GPSr (Garmin Geko 201).

I have a serial / usb port converter, so the 201 is plugged into the converter and the converter plugged into a usb port. (Saves diving behind the pc every time I want to plug the GPSr in !!)

Windows (device manager) reports the converter as available on Com19 (without any errors) so I should be able to set com port in GPS setup to COM19

But, when I open the GPS setup dialogue box and drop down then box for Communications port, every port I have, except 19, is available.

I have the "Use usb" unchecked.

Needless to say I cant "Send Waypoints..." to the Geko.

Any ideas ??

Great stuff Clyde et all. Have learnt quiet a bit reading this forum.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

GSAK uses the Windows API to enumerate your com ports so it is rather strange it doesn't show.

However, you can force GSAK to use any com port you like by entering the name into that combo box (unlike most combo boxes, this one you can enter text directly)

Another thread that discusses this issue and possible solutions can be found here

GSAK uses the Windows API to enumerate your com ports so it is rather strange it doesn't show.

However, you can force GSAK to use any com port you like by entering the name into that combo box (unlike most combo boxes, this one you can enter text directly)

Another thread that discusses this issue and possible solutions can be found here

Thanks for the fast response Clyde.

Hmmmm, confusing.

Have tried forcing GSAK to use com19, but reports "Can't init COM19"

So tried re-asigning COM3 to the converter, since 3 is visible in GSAK and got the report "Can't init COM3".

Tried on various other ports and got similar reports and failures. Everything else that uses any of the ports is working fine.

I'm using the driver from the manufacturer - Belkin.

Edited by CrazyL200

Thanks for the fast response Clyde.

Hmmmm, confusing.

Have tried forcing GSAK to use com19, but reports "Can't init COM19"

So tried re-asigning COM3 to the converter, since 3 is visible in GSAK and got the report "Can't init COM3".

Tried on various other ports and got similar reports and failures. Everything else that uses any of the ports is working fine.

I'm using the driver from the manufacturer - Belkin.

I can't remember exactly, but I do recall that GPSBabel (The engine "under the hood" that sends waypoints to your GPSr) does have issues whith some brands of USB converters and/or the chips sets they use.

Perhaps one of the babel guys can shed some light on this or you could try asking your question in the GPSBabel list here

can't remember exactly, but I do recall that GPSBabel (The engine "under the hood" that sends waypoints to your GPSr) does have issues whith some brands of USB converters and/or the chips sets they use.

Perhaps one of the babel guys can shed some light on this or you could try asking your question in the GPSBabel list here

OK, thanks Clyde, I'll give it a go. I'll copy the solution onto here when I get it.

A friend has just purchased a Garmin StreetPilot 2720. Will GSAK upload caching waypoint to this unit? If so what am I doing wrong because I am not having any luck using the connection interface in GSAK.

No, Garmin decided to use yet another weird variation if the USB protocol and GPSBabel does not yet support this model.

For more information please see this link

How can I change some of the cache status to "Placed" instead of "Not Found" or "Found" etc?

I could not find any info in the Help pages.

Richard

>tools>general: Method for matching, click exact match and make sure to type your user name or click gc.com logon ID and make sure to put your ID number which is 354350

Edited by Nomade