Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Can I install gsak on a USB flash drive and run it from there on multiple computers? Or would I have to install on each computer and keep the database file on the flash drive?

GSAK needs to install some dll files in your system directory in order for it to run.

So you must Install GSAK on each computer you want to use - then you can configure each computer to use the USB drive for your databases.

Can I install gsak on a USB flash drive and run it from there on multiple computers?  Or would I have to install on each computer and keep the database file on the flash drive?

GSAK needs to install some dll files in your system directory in order for it to run.

So you must Install GSAK on each computer you want to use - then you can configure each computer to use the USB drive for your databases.

I ran it this way for quite a while, but recently converted back to running the database on the hard drive. The slowdown, even with USB2 drives, is just too much now that my main database has about 3500 records in it. It all still worked fine, just too slow.

I find I don't mind the extra step of restoring my database from the USB drive each time I run it on whichever machine. I have GSAK on my work machine and my home laptop each set to backup automatically to the USB drive, then just manually restore each time I start it on the other machine. The speed increase is enough to easily make up for the extra step. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's another question.

It appears that once a cache is loaded in to GSAK (via pocket queries) the logs do not update again. Maybe it's a setting I'm not aware of. In other words, I'd like the cache listing, including the logs, to keep updating each time I load a pocket query. Is this possible? I loaded the "My Finds" query and it eliminated all logs but my own. Not what I wanted.

Thanks.

It appears that once a cache is loaded in to GSAK (via pocket queries) the logs do not update again. Maybe it's a setting I'm not aware of. In other words, I'd like the cache listing, including the logs, to keep updating each time I load a pocket query. Is this possible? I loaded the "My Finds" query and it eliminated all logs but my own. Not what I wanted.

Sounds like your are taking the option to clear the database on load. Make sure you uncheck that option:

cap72.png

Thanks for the quick reply.  Here's another question.

It appears that once a cache is loaded in to GSAK (via pocket queries) the logs do not update again.  Maybe it's a setting I'm not aware of.  In other words, I'd like the cache listing, including the logs, to keep updating each time I load a pocket query.  Is this possible?  I loaded the "My Finds" query and it eliminated all logs but my own. Not what I wanted.

Thanks.

This is also a function of the "My Finds" PQ generated by geocaching.com, not GSAK. For reasons I'll never understand, the only logs in this special pocket query are your own. A regular PQ includes the last five logs plus your own, and these are added to the existing logs in your GSAK database. Unfortunately, it's difficult to generate a regular PQ (or PQ's) that includes all of your finds.

I share your interest in updating my finds, and I'm in the process of building a bookmark list (using GSAK's Bookmark macro, below) to ease the process (although it's still tedious if you have a lot of finds). I can then periodically generate a PQ off the bookmark list and hopefully receive true updates of these caches.

####################################################
# Macro to bookmark your current filter one by one.
# you must manually click on the "create bookmark" button for each cache at gc.com
#####################################################
Speedmode Status=Off
# 1 character cache types
$Type1 = "TUVEWBLMCGOR"
# corresponding number to waytype
$WayNums = "2~8~4~6~11~5~12~3~13~8~8~137"     

Goto Position=Top
While .not. $_eol
 $GuiId = extract($d_Url,"=",2)
 $waytype = "8"
 $index = at($d_CacheType,$type1) 
 If $index > 0
     $WayType = Extract($WayNums,"~",$index)
 EndIf
 $url = "http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.aspx?guid=" + $GuiId + "&WptTypeID=" + $WayType
 web url=$url
 pause msg="Click on contine for next cache"
 Goto Position=Next
EndWhile
Pause msg="Finished"  

Edited by Kai Team
I'm using GSAK 6.5 build 57 and am trying to "Send Waypoints..." to my GPSr (Garmin Geko 201).

I have a serial / usb port converter, so the 201 is plugged into the converter and the converter plugged into a usb port.  (Saves diving behind the pc every time I want to plug the GPSr in !!)

Windows (device manager) reports the converter as available on Com19 (without any errors) so I should be able to set com port in GPS setup to COM19

But, when I open the GPS setup dialogue box and drop down then box for Communications port, every port I have, except 19, is available.

I have the "Use usb" unchecked.

Needless to say I cant "Send Waypoints..." to the Geko.

Any ideas ??

CrazyL200, is it possible when you inserted your converter in the back you stuck it in the UBS slot just above or just below the one you normally use (many times there are 2 side-by-side). Also, if you have a USB hub plugged in (likely since you have a port numbered 19) the numbers get moved around. Here is how to find the correct number in Windows XP: Click on Control Panel, System, select the "Hardware" tab and click on the "Device Manager" button. Click on the little + in front of "Ports (COM & LPT)" and you should see your device in the list with the port number identified.
... and I'm in the process of building a bookmark list (using GSAK's Bookmark macro, below) to ease the process (although it's still tedious if you have a lot of finds).  I can then periodically generate a PQ off the bookmark list and hopefully receive true updates of these caches.

I would need 24 separate bookmark lists, each to run in its own PQ. ...not appealing to me. The reason for only your own log is to keep the size of the returned dataset so it can be e-mailed.

Kai Team, why you don't just run a regular PQ to return only your founds? You would set it up as a PQ where you select all states (under "within" select the States radiobutton, then in the list select Alabama, and then hold down the shift key and then the down arrow until you have all selected). Don't select an origin. The only caches you would not get would be archived ones and the "All FInd" pq is the only way to get those.

I'm using GSAK 6.5 build 57 and am trying to "Send Waypoints..." to my GPSr (Garmin Geko 201).

I have a serial / usb port converter, so the 201 is plugged into the converter and the converter plugged into a usb port.  (Saves diving behind the pc every time I want to plug the GPSr in !!)

Windows (device manager) reports the converter as available on Com19 (without any errors) so I should be able to set com port in GPS setup to COM19

But, when I open the GPS setup dialogue box and drop down then box for Communications port, every port I have, except 19, is available.

Any ideas ??

CrazyL200, is it possible when you inserted your converter in the back you stuck it in the UBS slot just above or just below the one you normally use (many times there are 2 side-by-side). Also, if you have a USB hub plugged in (likely since you have a port numbered 19) the numbers get moved around. Here is how to find the correct number in Windows XP: Click on Control Panel, System, select the "Hardware" tab and click on the "Device Manager" button. Click on the little + in front of "Ports (COM & LPT)" and you should see your device in the list with the port number identified.

Thanks for the info - but that's how I found it to be COM19, so I'm still stuck.

I've asked on the Gpsbabel site to see if they have any ideas about port allocations etc, within babel.

If (when) I solve the mystery, I'll post the answer on here.

Thanks again.

... and I'm in the process of building a bookmark list (using GSAK's Bookmark macro, below) to ease the process (although it's still tedious if you have a lot of finds).  I can then periodically generate a PQ off the bookmark list and hopefully receive true updates of these caches.

I would need 24 separate bookmark lists, each to run in its own PQ. ...not appealing to me.

Good point - I'm once again reminded that "a lot of finds" is a relative term! B)

The reason for only your own log is to keep the size of the returned dataset so it can be e-mailed.

As opposed to the size of regular PQ's that include 500 (vs. 100) caches, 5 logs each (plus your own), and are delivered by Pony Express? :o Sorry for the sarcasm, but I don't see the difference (and the answer is: "zip the PQ from the 'My Finds' query").

Kai Team, why you don't just run a regular PQ to return only your founds? You would set it up as a PQ where you select all states (under "within" select the States radiobutton, then in the list select Alabama, and then hold down the shift key and then the down arrow until you have all selected). Don't select an origin. The only caches you would not get would be archived ones and the "All FInd" pq is the only way to get those.

For some reason, this only worked sporadically for me. Once (and only once) I got this to work and return all my unarchived finds in several states. Next time, I only got some of my finds. I compared it to those that had been archived (updated manually through GSAK) and the count was still low. I gave up. Probably "operator error" - I'll have to try again (thanks for reminding me of this approach).

But we digress (sorry for the OT post). Going back on topic...

I'm sorta confused. Are you trying to continue getting new logs for your found caches, or are you trying to get all your found caches into GSAK in the first place? I must confess that I don't see much point in the former case. In the latter case, doesn't the All Finds PQ give you that?

I'm lucky - been using GSAK basically since day one (for me, not for GSAK) and so my main database has all those records already; it matches my statistics here on the site exacty in terms of number of finds, DNFs, etc.

With the search facility on the forum disabled, I cant find if this has been covered before ....

Backups...... I have backup enabled at the lowest frequency, and have discovevered during a routine tidy up of the PC, that I have backups going back for ages ...consuming squillions of innocent bits .......

I've deleted all but the last 2, so I no longer have an issue , but couldn't backup overwrite the last "save" rather than create another ?

With the search facility on the forum disabled, I cant find if this has been covered before ....

Backups...... I have backup enabled at the lowest frequency, and have discovevered during a routine tidy up of the PC, that I have backups going back for ages ...consuming squillions of innocent bits .......

I've deleted all but the last 2, so I no longer have an issue , but couldn't backup overwrite the last "save" rather than create another ?

Automatic backups always keep a rolling copy of your last 5.

The files are GSAKAuto1.zip ... GSAKAuto5.zip

As far as I know, if you have automatic backup enable, it will alway save the last 5 backups. It makes a backup whenever the frequency you choose is been met. You won't be able to overwrite those backups. The only backups that will overwrite each other are the manuel backups as long as you save them under the same file name.

Edit: oops, your to fast for me Clyde Happy Hollidays

Edited by Nomade
Backups...... I have  backup enabled at the lowest frequency, and have discovevered during a routine tidy up of the PC, that I have backups going back for ages ...consuming scullions  of innocent bits .......

Hmmm... are you talking about automatic backups, or manual backups ("saves") that you created yourself? From the GSAK help file (also on line here):

GSAK keeps a rolling copy of your most 5 recent backups. The backup files are named GSAKAuto1.zip, GaskAuto2.zip, .... GSAKAuto5.zip

You shouldn't have more than 5 automatic backups, unless you've periodically changed the folder where GSAK stores its backups (then you might have up to five in each folder you've designated).

If you're talking about manual backups ("saves") that you create yourself...you decide whether to overwrite or create a new file when you name the backup!

Edit: You both beat me to it!!

Edited by Kai Team

Any ideas ??

Hynr is correct. I have 4 USB ports - 2 front and 2 rear.

I now have two USB>serial units and found some interesting things.

I did a little experiment following a weird ocasion: I had unknowing plugged the USB connector in to the one on the left front. It would not work because I had GSAK set for COM5. Turns out that I have COM5,6,7,8 depending on which port I use. Then oddly when I insert the other converter recently given to me, in the COM5 port (front right) it comes in as COM6.

It all has to do with the drivers and when you insert it in a different port you have to reload the drivers. So it is important to know which USB port you are using because it determines which COM port it is.

Now, as to the COM19 that is just weird to me. I have never seen anything like that before. Even on special systems with 8 added COM ports. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

cc\

After gentle persuasion GSAK finally has its own dedicated support forum. :P

The value of this thread has also been diluted because of the gc.com search feature not being available.

All future posts about 6.5 should be placed in the new GSAK support forum.

I have set the forum up so you can view (and search) directly as a guest without having to log in. However, if you need support and want to make a post you do require an account (free for all users) - just click on the register link.

Yea, I know. "not another user and board" :P

However, to move forward with GSAK support this was the logical step. Though not strictly required I would prefer you did register with the same user name you have here on geocaching.com. That way users will be able to cross reference from both boards if required.

The new support forum can be found here http://support.gsak.net

I have read through this and am having problems with this GSAK.

Is there any other program that is easier to use out there?

GSAK is, at its heart, a simple database. It has a couple of buttons that make useing it on this simple mode a lot easier then any other database you will find.

What you are reading here are people tring to use the more complicated parts of gsak.

Try it as a simple place to stor waypoints and to simply filter that database, but with a simple output to your GPSr to save you from learning a second or a thirs program.

Give it a try. It's free to play with.

I just got the new release, but I'm having trouble with sending caches to my GPS and having them carry geocache icon. I have to set it manually in the GPS every time I transfer waypoints. A few specs:

GPS: GARMIN GPSMap 60C

I am not a premium member, and use LOC files

I set the type of cache in GSAK to normal (because that's the only kind I like)

Any other questions, let me know.

After WP transfer, my GPS sees the WPs as normal and assigns them the normal icon instead of the geocache icon. I then must go and change them all. Takes a long time. How do I fix this?

I just got the new release, but I'm having trouble with sending caches to my GPS and having them carry geocache icon. I have to set it manually in the GPS every time I transfer waypoints. A few specs:

GPS: GARMIN GPSMap 60C

I am not a premium member, and use LOC files

I set the type of cache in GSAK to normal (because that's the only kind I like)

Any other questions, let me know.

After WP transfer, my GPS sees the WPs as normal and assigns them the normal icon instead of the geocache icon. I then must go and change them all. Takes a long time. How do I fix this?

Be sure that in your GPS, you set the default icone to the Geocaching icone which is the closed treasure chest

Clyde:

However, I would just like to make it clear that just about any database information (including $_User2) can be displayed on the same line as the cache icon.

What actually gets printed on this line is the special tags you have configured (picture shows GSAK defaults)

cap71.png

So by adding (or substituting) the %macro special tag here you can get any manner of information to display on that line.

This is an awesome feature! Thanks for clarifying its usage.

While playing around with it I did run into a problem... not sure if you would consider it a bug, but might be something to consider nonetheless in a future release. One time I accidentally omitted the full path name for a macro (e.g., inserting %macro=temp.txt rather than %macro="C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\temp.txt"): this caused GSAK to shut-down, and it would subsequently shut-down upon each restart (sorry but I did not record the error message). I got around this endlessly repeating cycle by editing the edtHtml.Text line of the ini file - I know, BAD USER - to include the full path. Not sure how tricky it would be to implement, but it would be nice to have an option after several unsuccessful restarts of the program to revert to a simplified gsak.ini file as a "safe" start.

Cheers, Greg