Beyond The Geocoin - The New Craze!

FlyfishermanMike

We've all watched as geocoins have taken off. Everyone wants them and even wants to make their own. Well lets take it to the next level. I give you the GeoBenchmark

l_106791_f05_000.jpg

You could make a benchmark for your house, your first cache or whatever! Now that I've given out the idea all I ask is if you make one, you give me one. Pretty sweet huh?

^^ike

(You can actually buy those from mgear.com - good guys there)

Actually, they make pretty cool initial point markers on multicaches. I acquired one and installed it in a nearby park in an out of the way corner. It's Jodhpur Park Cache (waypoint GCPNYN).

Several important notes: geodetic control devices (benchmarks) are installed to rebar or metal rod buried a good 8-12 feet (or more) in the ground, or epoxied/cemented in place on buildings or structures. I secured permission from the park manager to set a 12' rebar rod to hold the cap; fortunately, the location is atop a heavily-vegetated sand dune just alongside an existing trail (meaning the ground was very soft). The park manager is watching the marker for his own reasons - if it survives without frost heaving through an Alaska winter he may use the system to put in markers of his own for study/information purposes along the dune crest (guess who gets to help as a 'park volunteer!). I felt that with the manager's permission the 'burial' of the marker's anchor was not an issue, but this may not always be the case, especially if buried utilities are present. I consulted the local 'Miss Dig' information service, who cleared the location for the rod. Marking the cap was easy, with a steel stamp letter set used at my shop to imprint brass culvert marker plates. It's an unexpected way to begin a multicache for most folks up here, and adds an extra twist to winter caching...

Fine, I'll take my idea to eBay - people are paying $30+ for coins there...

^^ike

yea, if they are paying $30 for a $8 coin, just imagine what you can get for an actual $30 coin.

do these people not know they could get that USA coin at cost? or they just want to ebay?

ebay is a costly addiction, caching can be really cheap (gas) if moderation is maintained.

These are pretty cool, but like the others, I think the price on them are going to be a deterrent for them to be really popular.

$33 for one, compared to $25-$30 for 4 Geocoins which will leave you with a couple to keep for your own collection and a couple to trade for the non-saleable ones that are out there.

I believe most people are gonna go for the latter. :mad:

I myself would like to see more "personalized" Hiking stick Medallions! :unsure:

D-man :lol:

Perhaps not so much for a collection, or collecting, but I did have a benchmark made, cost me 30 or 40 bucks to have it done (an extra 10 on top of that cause I wanted brass not aluminum). When I own my own place I intend on monumenting it somewhere in my yard, but for now it sits in my room.

I thought it would be pretty cool to have my own mark, if only for a conversation piece.

Perhaps not so much for a collection, or collecting, but I did have a benchmark made, cost me 30 or 40 bucks to have it done (an extra 10 on top of that cause I wanted brass not aluminum). When I own my own place I intend on monumenting it somewhere in my yard, but for now it sits in my room.

I thought it would be pretty cool to have my own mark, if only for a conversation piece.

The fact that the replicas are all west coast moutains are the reason why I don't want one. But if I could have one made for a comparable price, that has unique information - I'd whip out the plastic real quick.

The fact that the replicas are all west coast moutains are the reason why I don't want one. But if I could have one made for a comparable price, that has unique information - I'd whip out the plastic real quick.

yea, what about brasstown bald? the highest point in GA, and they saiy it and the great wall of china are the only things you can tell what they are from space. (that is what my middle school teacher said).

if it was a place near me, or somewhere i had been, i too would be more likely to get one.

We had a benchmark made for one of our cache hides. It looks just like the real thing except says "Geocaching Survey". The cache container is actually hidden underneath the benchmark itself (Screw-off top). Very convincing. It looks totally natural where it is placed. We hid it in July 2004 and thought it was a great idea.