Garmin Gpsmap 60c/cs Vs 76c

caylor

There are five commonly sited differences:

The 76 is a bit larger

The 76 has its buttons placed above the screen

The 76 has a better basmap (13MB vs. 8 MB)

The 76 has more user map memory (a 126MB chip with 13MB for the basemap leaves 115MB for user maps. The 60 has a 64MB chip with 8MB for the basemap, leaving 56MB for usermaps).

The 76 floats (the 60 is pretty boyant).

If you buy City Select, you'll rarely use the basemap. Other than the map memory, the rest is primarily user perference on look and feel. Some prefer a graphing calculator shape to wedge between dash and windshield. Others like to tote around a baked potato.

I can get most of the Houston/Dallas/San Antonio triangle on my 60C, so the larger memory didn't matter much to me. I preferred the feel of the 60C. YMMV.

I own the 76c and love it. The size has not been bad at all and I actually prefer how it works in the car over the 60c (buttons on top vs bottom).

Sputnik is correct in his assesments. I do prefer the extra memory and better basemap.

My recommendation (as always) is to search the forum about 76 vs 60 -- there are a lot of messages here and also go to a store that has both in stock and hold both. Then decide which way to go. Can't go wrong...

Good luck.

TheHFamily

I have been using the GPSMap 76C for some time now for Hunting/Fishing and recently Geocaching. I don't really understand the issues of the additional size of the 76C.

The actual physical size difference seems relatively small; 6.1 x 2.4 x 1.3 for the 60C and 6.2 x 2.7 x 1.4 for the 76C, and maybe an ounce of weight. For my purposes the additional memory (115mb v 56mb) took precedence. I hunt and fish in multiple states and it is great to be able to load up the unit with all maps and routes that I need and not have to be skimpy them.

Also, with all of the other gear that I carry, that extra ounce didn’t seem to matter much. And so continues the Chevy-Ford debate.

Another 76C owner, here. I love it. The full dimensions aren't much bigger than the 60 so I decided that the additional memory was much more useful, and so far, that's been the case. I keep CitySelect AND Topo maps on my 76 so the large memory is very convenient. As an experiment, I uploaded a series of maps to go from Vancouver, BC, down to the tip of Florida, just to see if they would all fit. I figured that would be the worst case scenario for a road trip for me.

I much prefer the buttons above the screen because it provides me with a very firm grip on the GPS, although I find the 60's layout to be acceptable as well.

GeoBC

The actual physical size difference seems relatively small; 6.1 x 2.4 x 1.3 for the 60C and 6.2 x 2.7 x 1.4 for the 76C, and maybe an ounce of weight.

That's a bit deceptive though, as the size for the 60 includes the antenna protrusion. The 60 is also tapered so its narrower at the bottom than the top and the stated width is for its widest point.

Future 76CS owner here, last week I received the City Select and Topo maps but the box did not contain the 76CS, only a note saying it was on back order.

Anyway narrowed my search to the 60CS or the 76CS and decided on the 76CS after months of looking because of AutoRouting and the larger memory. I also do a bit of sailing and hope to load charts in the future.

I too would like it to hold Topo maps along with selections from City Select. I considered waiting for the Cx series but I think I've been chasing the new technology for far too long and it was time to buy. Also didn't know for sure when the Cx will be released and at what price.

I must say with all the handheld styles out there and their options, it would be easier to choose between a Ford or a Chevy.

[snip] Anyway narrowed my search to the 60CS or the 76CS and decided on the 76CS after months of looking because of AutoRouting and the larger memory. [snip]

Note that both units autoroute. I can understand wanting more memory, especially if you are loading City Select, Topo, and Bluechart navigation products all at the same time.

I frequently load City Select and Topo maps of the area I hike in, so that I can autoroute to nearby parking, and then switch to Topo for the hike. 56MB is plenty for my purposes.

[snip] Anyway narrowed my search to the 60CS or the 76CS and decided on the 76CS after months of looking because of AutoRouting and the larger memory. [snip]

Note that both units autoroute. I can understand wanting more memory, especially if you are loading City Select, Topo, and Bluechart navigation products all at the same time.

I frequently load City Select and Topo maps of the area I hike in, so that I can autoroute to nearby parking, and then switch to Topo for the hike. 56MB is plenty for my purposes.

Exactly. I live in So Cal and have way more CS and Topo maps loaded in my 60CS than I'll ever be able to cover in a day, let alone a weekend. However, I will admit I'm looking forward to the release of the 60CSx, so I can load a gazillion maps on there. Then I won't have to worry whether or not I have Topo and CS maps loaded for a particular area that might be five hours away. I can just git 'n go.

Edited by royta