Arrival Times

Nomad and the Librarians

I have only joined this subset of geocaching. I have bought several coins. (Okay, more than several.) I have not received any of the ones I have bought. I understand that the sellers have scores, perhaps hundreds, of orders to fill, so I am not expecting my coins over night, but for some it is going on a month since I bought them.

Is there any way to politely ask for an update or eta? Is there a to-be-expected waiting period?

Thanks,

Nomad

of Nomad and the Librarians

Depends on the coins. Some haven't been minted yet. They can take 3-4 weeks to mint without a proof. The you've got shipping from the minter to the people that designed the coin, then sorting and mailing. So it could be at least a month to two before you see it. Not many are minting first then selling, but it happens.

It depends on what stage they were at when you bought them. If you buy them prior to minting, I would expect about 2 weeks to collect orders, two weeks to get the die finalized with the mint, 2-4 weeks to get the coins minted and shipped to the creator.

This leaves you at about 8 weeks max. -- add another couple weeks if they are trackable -- to get the numbers from Groundspeak. Also, ask who they are using to mint the coins. Coins and Pins is VERY fast -- so you may compress this a little. other companies I have heard of taking 8 weeks or more.

You are at 10 weeks now.

Shipping. Depening on how many were made, they now need to be sorted, packaged, labled, posted and dropped at the Post Office. Folks have jobs -- some folks have help, some are doing this on their own. Let's give them 2 weeks.

You are at 12 weeks now.

Then, they have to make it to you. Sadly, this can be 1 week to 5 weeks depending on where they are shipped from and where they are going.

So -- this sets the outer limit to 17 weeks.

That said -- this is likely the outer limit. However, I do not see any part of the above as unreasonable estimates. Others may disagree.

I have only joined this subset of geocaching. I have bought several coins. (Okay, more than several.) I have not received any of the ones I have bought. I understand that the sellers have scores, perhaps hundreds, of orders to fill, so I am not expecting my coins over night, but for some it is going on a month since I bought them.

Is there any way to politely ask for an update or eta? Is there a to-be-expected waiting period?

Thanks,

Nomad

of Nomad and the Librarians

Which ones are you waiting on? Maybe we can give you an update. Most of us are anxiously waiting, too! :unsure:

I started my coin on Nov 4 expecting it to take about 4 weeks to complete. I had really hoped to have them by Dec 2. Now after seeing 4 Proofs the coins have been shipped and I should have tham next week. I guess a little over 5 weeks isn't bad.

Team Sand Dollar

5 weeks is great -- don't forget to add time for packaging, shipping and time to arrive! :laughing:

As a heads-up -- I understand that Coins and Pins now sells tracking numbers directly -- this means that if you want trackable coins you could avoid having to wait for Groundspeak to respond -- although I thnk they may still need to authorize the proof.

As others have said, it really depends on who is doing the coin and how fast the maker is.

When I do a coin, I try to hold money as short a period of time as possible, so when I try to order the coins the same week my invoices go out. This means:

- 3 weeks for manufacture.

- 5-8 days to ship to me, repackage and put in the mail.

- The mail 1-6 days.

That is probably as fast as it usually happens.

I have one I ordered and paid for in October that have not arrived yet. (Maine) and a bunch that were ordered in November that have not arrived.

If e-bay no more than about 10 days, same for trades, unless other arrangements have been made (someone is waiting for a coin).

It is not unreasonable to ask for update.

- 3 weeks for manufacture.

- 5-8 days to ship to me, repackage and put in the mail.

- The mail 1-6 days.

That is probably as fast as it usually happens.

That does seem quite fast. I assume in this case that the design is already finalized, you aren't waiting on tracking numbers, the edition size is smaller, and you are looking at domestic (US) shipping.