Forums Randomly Sloooooooooo*click Bzzzz*

New England n00b

It doesn't appear to be browser dependant, it is just random and probably depends on what else is going on with the server. I agree that it is just probably just a user saturation issue. I'm sure it is related to people hitting refresh in the geocoin forums. Maybe they need their own server. :):):):wacko::(:)

--Marky

This is not a browser-dependent issue.

Most likely, when you are seeing one browser work and another not (even on the same computer) is a session-dependent thing. If you create a session prior to a problem that brings the forums to its knees, then your cached session most likely needs to be reset to a new session post-problem for the forum software to seem okay again. When you check with another browser, it's most likely that the problem has passed, the forums are fine, and you start a new session. Enough new sessions doing enough accessing/searching/whatever simultaneously and the forum software chokes...dumps those sessions and tries to right itself to start again. The old session needs to be dumped and it's between the time of the actual forum problem and your previous browser getting synced up with the re-righted forum software that makes it seem that one browser is bad while the other is good.

This is all just a guess based on my experiences with the forum problem and Jeremy's comments at the end of page1 in this thread. Of course, if there's a problem with connections and open sessions being too great along with searching the entire forum DB at the same time...then when a problem occurs, if it doesn't do enough to shake some users off to do other things on the web, then everyone refreshing their session to get back to using the forums is just gonna send it into a tailspin again. Thus the need for a fix hopefully from the updates (as J said he was looking into) or maybe even just dumping some of the old forum posts into a repository somehow.

I've noticed a slowdown at 12 midnight (Mountain time) when I try to access the forums. Is that when the hamsters turn into pumpkins or is there a certain time when maintenance programs run?

My understanding is that is a normal daily slowdown for hamster backup and maintenance. Takes 5-8 minutes or so.

I like OT as much as the next guy (although not nearly as much as the guy next to him), but it is OT...is it time to think about losing it?

at least until things get back to normal(ish)...

jamie

There are some people that pay for a premium membership just to access Off-Topic. If anything we should axe TFFKAG, since all the freeloaders hang out there :o

I like OT as much as the next guy (although not nearly as much as the guy next to him), but it is OT...is it time to think about losing it?

jamie

There are some people that pay for a premium membership just to access Off-Topic. If anything we should axe TFFKAG, since all the freeloaders hang out there :o

TFFKAG???

whatchootalkinboutwillis

jamie

There are some people that pay for a premium membership just to access Off-Topic.

The little blue guy speaks the truth.

jamie

TFFKAG???

whatchootalkinboutwillis

The Forum Formerly Known As General :lol:

gracias...and please allow me to retract my suggestion about OT...I wouldn't want to harsh anyones' fun...

j (note...for the time being, I'll sign off with j instead of jamie to save on bandwidth :o )

Edited by NFA

jamie

There are some people that pay for a premium membership just to access Off-Topic.

The little blue guy speaks the truth.

Durn Tootin'! I swore off the "serious" boards after being accused of cheating on my posts. Yeah, what a wimp.

Forgive me if I am asking something that has already been asked, for I am a computer dope. :P

We can't use the "view new posts" button anymore? If so, please tell me that isn't a permanent thing.  :D

'View New Posts" uses the search feature, which, as you know, has been disabled.

I'm confident that once the search issue is fixed, the "View New Posts" feature will once again be working.

edit: extra apostrophe

Edited by cache_test_dummies