Forums Randomly Sloooooooooo*click Bzzzz*

New England n00b

As of late I have noticed that the forums are randomly either slow, or not responding at all. At times, I will be composing a reply, and when I submit it, the page loads and loads and loads, and eventually returns a white page, occasionally with a timeout error. Yet when I go back, (once it comes up), the post has been processed.

Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: despite the attempt at humor in the headline, I am running a cable connection...

Edited by New England n00b

Actually the problem I have is occasionally when I try to post a reply I get a recurring error saying I am not logged in and so I log in and get an error that I am not logged in and so on ad infinitum.

At first I thought I was being banned but it didn't make sense because I have been verrry good lately.

Just another moth in the ENIAC I suppose. :unsure:

I am having the same problem as as in the OP. I'll be browsing the forum and all of a sudden any attempt to load a new thread or even re-loading a forum page results in the browser just sitting there. When I open a new tab and browse geocaching.com everything runs nicely, but any browser tabs where a page is being loaded just sit there "Loading". The wait can be serveral minutes long at which time either the browser gets tired of waiting or all of a sudden all loading pages do finish loading in rapid succession.

It seems like this started about 10 days ago.

I too have had several composed messages not go out due to the freeze-up. In fact, I am experiencing this problem right now as I am trying to send this (I can tell because the "preview" takes along time to show up). I have learned to be persistent and eventually I can get it to go.

(this took 3 tries to get submitted)

Edited by Hynr
PS: give the hampsters high-octane egg nog.

Getting better. Looks like the hamsters got a red bull put in the water bottle thingy.

Actually I had chili for lunch.

ooo! methane powered forums.

*hopes Groundspeak offices have lots of potpourri handy*

Or at least a match... :rolleyes:

ooooo! hot and shiny! :lol:

I'm going to lock down the rss.php file to lessen the load. It wasn't a built in feature of the forums and may be causing some of the issues lately.

Can you change my oil while you're at it?

In other words, in times like this - I feel hopelessly lost in the techno-babble of our society. We have to trust in those that know how the system should work and what the failings are. They are the ones we trust to fix these problems. When I go to the auto repair shop, they could tell me the flux capacitor needs a new antimatter generator or the heisenberg compensators will flood the flight deck with deuterium plasma flames.

With my knowledge of cars, I'd ask if they could change my oil while they're at it, and get out the checkbook.

Edited by Markwell
I'm going to lock down the rss.php file to lessen the load. It wasn't a built in feature of the forums and may be causing some of the issues lately.

i have no idea what that means, but i'm glad you're "workin' on it". :)

yea. me too.

when i checked earlier, this topic (gc.com) wasnt even there...and it was very slow.

it just took me 30 sec or more to load the forum page on GC.com--but the forums are pretty good--this is my first 'visit' today. gosh. that was a wasted 30 secs i could have been reading posts [glad i don't have dialup].

The search feature for a keyword is often timing out for me when setting the dates to search for, anything over 60days gives the error message:.

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\Drivers\mySQL.php on line 101

Edited by Maingray

I doubt it is your computer. There are definite issues with the performance on the machine. I suppose we're just reaching a critical number of users accessing the site simultaneously. Also, the search engine is poorly designed in the software.

We are, however, several versions behind the current forum software available. We're going to put a copy of the database on one of our development machines and work on a migration plan to the latest version of the software.

Unfortunately we have to make some code changes to the software in order to link up logins, so it takes a little more than simply upgrading the software. We'll do our best to bring the new version up as quickly as we can.

I gave up on searching for stuff. Now I'm getting the same error just browsing:

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\sources\Drivers\mySQL.php on line 101

I hear the forum software updates allow PMs to folks with an & in their name.... so I'm all for an upgrade. Hope the shift isn't too hard to set up. I think I understand why most forums usually end up "losing" everything and starting from scratch whenever they upgrade. :)

constant timeout errors - impossible to use -

CGI Timeout

The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process.

I have no clue why this would be the case, but I have had several times now where I could not get through to the forums on Firefox but Safari for Mac worked fine. At first I thought it was just a fluke. I had hit a link to a thread from elsewhere during a hangup which is set to open a window in Safari and I wondered why it opened there when a few seconds before I could not get in with Firefox. But I have tried it three times now and got in with Safari each time, while Firefox was still spinning its wheels. Seems odd and makes no sense to me. But I throw it out in case it is helpful info.