Audio In A Cache Page

Although I personally see nothing wrong with adding audio to a web-page or cache-page (you know, that whole free speech thing...) I do agree it is better to give folks the OPTION of listening or not. I have decided to use a simple link to the audio for those who might enjoy it. I am kinda new at putting together cache pages and would welcome some feedback:

Snorkasaurus Gulch Geocache Page

Thanks!

;)

Although I personally see nothing wrong with adding audio to a web-page or cache-page (you know, that whole free speech thing...)

Free speech? No one is complaining about the CONTENT of your audio (which is covered by free speech). People simply want the choice whether to listen to your audio or not.

Forcing your audio on people is not a free speech right. Moot point though, since you can't force audio to play on a cache page. Instead, load your audio onto an auxilliary server, and supply a link to it.

Now, here's an old friend of an angsty topic I haven't seen in ages! ;)

I once clicked on link to a cache and nearly soiled myself when a bo'sun's whistle came screaming out of my speakers. Very bad mojo in Cubicleland. That's one reason why the topic is so fraught.

But as long as you're making it optional, the link above should tell you what you need to know...

Here's my cache that uses a "Song" to find the cache.

Cliff Cache

I have cachers find a micro -- in that micro is a password that when they visit an URL allows them access to 10 "sounds" and a "song". They listen for the sound bits in the larger song and map out the corresponding sounds to number -- arriving at the final cache coordinates.

I was shocked at how fast the FTF was.

How about just keeping the volume turned down on your speakers? I don't have my speakers turned on for anything other than what I request to hear.

Nice idea in concept. What about those of us that need to keep the volume turned up a bit so we can hear alerts on our machines? You know, like incoming email, or a coworker IM's with a project related question (or a project unrelated question..who knows) Doesn't quite work for us, now does it?

Personally, I remember when I thought embedded sound in webpages was cool. It was 1997, I was a senior in HS and teaching myself HTML and building my first webpages. This period (embedded sound being cool) lasted for all of about three weeks. Now, it's just annoying. If it's needed to solve a cache, or otherwise interesting, provide a link, or an embedded player that allows us to play it AT OUR LEISURE--do NOT turn on autoplay.

The download time for unlucky folks still struggling with dialup was annoying also.

Thank you for mentioning this. Some of us have no other option but dialup . . . and in my case I connect at 24K. :P

And, since I keep my speakers off, I wouldn't even know what was causing the paralysis of my browsing if music was embedded in the page . . .

The download time for unlucky folks still struggling with dialup was annoying also.

Thank you for mentioning this. Some of us have no other option but dialup . . . and in my case I connect at 24K. :P

And, since I keep my speakers off, I wouldn't even know what was causing the paralysis of my browsing if music was embedded in the page . . .

Bah there are always alternatives to dialup. Some of them might not be practical depending on things like your budget, for instance, but to say there are no options is kinda misleading. You might want to look into the satellite television providers, for instance.

Bah there are always alternatives to dialup. Some of them might not be practical depending on things like your budget, for instance, but to say there are no options is kinda misleading. You might want to look into the satellite television providers, for instance.

Those 'options' aren't always an option, either. For internet over a dish (similar to satellite TV) you still have to have a CLEAR southern view at a relatively low angle to the horizon. Wireless (WAN) you have to be within so many miles of the transmitter, or a repeater. So it is possible to be geographically located such that dial-up internet IS in fact the only option.

And if a service is cost-prohibitive (which to me satellite is), then it really isn't an option, is it?

Bottom line, embedded sound in cache pages is annoying to many, if not most, users for a variety of reasons...slow connection, bad mojo at work, just don't like it, whatever. Don't do it.

:P I didn't say there were no options. :D

I said "some of us have no other option." That takes into account my budget. :D

Bottom line, embedded sound in cache pages is annoying to many, if not most, users for a variety of reasons...slow connection, bad mojo at work, just don't like it, whatever. Don't do it.

No doubt. The only thing more annoying than a web page popping up (or over) an ad is one that blasts unexpected sound. And not just cache pages, either, any web page that does that (#&%(*^ me off.

And if you want to debate what determines an "option", then I'll steer you over to the gas-price debate in off-topic where we can debate whether or not one's economic situation has to do with whether or not one has a "choice". But enough of that in the main topic - I am fully in agreement with you w/r/t the topic at hand (annoying sounds in web pages).

I have a puzzle cache that has a link to an MP3 file.  The file is necessary to solve the puzzle.

Cool. Took me 20 seconds to solve. That's because I have one kinda like it. Let me know when you've solved it. :P

Sound on cache pages should only be in the form of links to sound files, as in both these cases. Background sounds are bad.

Edited by fizzymagic