Men Who Cache Alone

Hugh Jazz

I always cache alone, but not by choice. With a one year old at home,a house to rebuild and work, my time for hunting caches is limited to my daily commute, lunch time and trips to the grocery store etc.. I've met a few cachers while out hunting and there have been times I wish I had some help :wacko: . I enjoy caching alone mostly because I can get away from the daily grind even if for a little while. I'm hoping my daughter will like it when she gets old enough to tag along.

I cache solo most of the time, and prefer it. I sometimes think about the consequences of a twisted ankle or worse, way back in the woods. What scares me the most are inner-city park caches with guys sitting alone in their cars nearby and watching me go into the woods alone. I try to come out (No pun intended) of the woods in a different place. They give me the creeps!

90 % of my cache finds I've done alone, but not because I prefer it that way, but because I don't have anyone to go out caching with. My girlfriend lives far away and I don't have any friends interested in this.

Caching in the bushes in Northern Ontrario can be scary, I'm always afraid of bears, but luckily I haven't met one yet. :blink: I have a hunting knife in my backpack just in case. I don't own a gun and I don't plan on getting one, but it might be useful at some caching spots. :blink:

Edited by Thrasher22
I'm a guy who caches alone. My wife (the lovely "Laura Jazz") used to go with me, but she got burnt out on caching after only 100 finds. She was really good at spotting them too, had an eagle eye. I am terrible at finding so this has been quite a challenge for me. I can get to the spot but can't seem to find the container for a long time, even on really easy ones. I need to bring someone who can help me find them, but no one will go with me. I tried to teach my dog to sniff out hidden ammo boxes but she never got consistently good at it, and even when she could sniff out some, sometimes the cache would be in a tupperware, not ammo can, and she'd get confused, which just made her frustrated to where she didn't want to go either. Now she stays home with my wife and knits. It's dangerous for a dog to knit because they have no opposable thumbs.

So I'm still caching alone. Sometimes I wear a hat. Anyone else caching alone, wearing a hat, taking a a dog, etc? What are your thoughts on this?

My dog, Bill, and I cache as a team all the time. Nobody minds. Keeps me fit and rested. Sometimes others come along, but not often.

5d2c1e89-90c6-4a94-be09-953c9298ddd4.jpg

I do almost every thing alone (sadly) I ride my Harley alone, I cache alone, I eat alone. I have pleanty of friends and even a girlfriend (shocking, I know) I just like to be alone, I can stop when and where I want eat what I want and when I cache, I can look as long or as quick as I want.

I guess its a "ME" thing. lol

I usually have a phone with me for safety, but on the difficult ones I will enlist a buddy just to be safe.

Some times on the high visibility caches It would be nice to have some company though, You know the ones, a micro on an old train engine in the park (for example) the ones where you have to climb up, under, and in. Those caches where there are 25 people watching you to see what you are doing,,,,,, Yeah it would be nice to not be the only one who looks like I am trying to hot wire the train!!!!!

Some times on the high visibility caches It would be nice to have some company though, You know the ones, a micro on an old train engine in the park (for example) the ones where you have to climb up, under, and in. Those caches where there are 25 people watching you to see what you are doing,,,,,, Yeah it would be nice to not be the only one who looks like I am trying to hot wire the train!!!!!

:):) I know what you mean ... the same thing happened to me except it was an old army tank parked beside a VFW hall. Boy, did those veterens give me the 'eye'. :)

I do most of my caching alone... I've taken the Mrs. with me a few times, she usually just hangs back behind me and lets me do all the searching. Claims she just doesn't what we're looking for so she can't be of any help.

We went to Ireland a few months ago, I drag her along on a few caches there as well. When I wanted to get a couple of virtuals on the Aran Isles, her first reaction was "can't we just enjoy the scenery and then you can do your caching later?" I tried to explain to her that while caching I've seen scenery that I never would have otherwise, she just rolled her eyes.

We did find one cache Nore Valley View... she loved the view so much we spent about an hour taking pictures.

She loves to hike, so when we do go hiking I'll bring along my GPSr just in case. If there is a cache nearby, I'll break off and try and find it... catch up to her later.

But, most of the time it's just me... and the meur hounds (Hako and Bailey) of course. They aren't much help in finding the actual cache, but they do enjoy the hunt.

I have got a little one on the way (due in June)... and have already started trying to figure out how I can get him/her (don't know yet) into it early. I figure saddle bags for Hako (he's 170lbs I think he can handle the weight)... he'll carry all the diaper bag stuff. Then I'll have the kid on my back with my cache bag on the front. Of course this will limit me to really easy caches (don't want to take any chances). But I figure if we start out at a couple of months old, I can grow a caching partner :)

Too funny - where's the post for Women who cache alone?!?

I mean I take my dog with me most of the time, but for Urban caches, it's a no go - he's a husky and there's no way I can watch him AND find a cache stealthly.

I think it's funny because most women I know all say Oh what happens if you find a strange guy.. and that it's generally not accepted as a female to go out to places by yourself (as in hiking/etc) but oh well. Take your cell, your gps and a dog - most people don't look at ya twice.

I most definetly cache alone. Most of my friends think that its a silly pastime. I have taken a couple of friends once, and they liked it, but not enough to go a second time. Anyway, I really like caching alone mostly because I talk all day long to many many people (retail) so time alone with my thoughts is most enjoyable!

I do wonder if muggles think I am up to no good, or if they will find the cache and destroy it, but the joy of the find makes me forget all of that!

BTW, i do wear a hat...to cover the bald spot!

When I go caching, I usually bring two of my friends, their names are Smith and Wesson.

....That makes me sound dangerous.. lol. I usually cache alone and usually only go to caches that are in the woods or in out of the way places and am usually armed because you just never know these days.

My caching is a solo activity until at least spring; my wife has said she'll come along at least once when the weather is warmer. If she doesn't care for it, though, it'll be back to solitary hikes and treasure hunts, both of which are great excuses for gettin' off my behind and away from the hypnotic glare of the computer screen...

D

my wife is "concerned" whenever i go out into the woods i have had 2 heart attacks and 2 mild strokes all i tell her is " do you want me to die in the recliner bored to tears or doing something i like?" after all we gotta die and kneel sooner or later.

kneel now, later is TOOOOO late

I usually cache alone. Sometimes I have my oldest child with me and he loves to do it, but I do a lot of caching during business hours when my son is at school. This past Saturday I did a couple of caches with three others when we stumbled upon each other. I would not mind caching with others, I just not have had too many opportunites to.

I usually cache alone, but it is because of scheduling. I've taken to doing caches either going to work or coming home. On weekends, the family is usually busy, but we try to cache at least once a month as a family.

When I do cache with others, I enjoy it, but in a different way. On my own, I can do more difficult caches or caches with poor trades but nice hides. My "social" caching is either family or groups with father - daughter / father - son pairs. A lot of "There's nothing here worth trading for for!", "How much farther is it?", "I don't see it. Somone must have stolen it. Where's the next one?", "I'm thirsty. Can we drink from the stream?" Nonetheless, I find the kids better tempered :)

I cache alone more during the summer time. My wife can't always stand the Texas heat as well as I can, plus the humidity on the coast can be killer sometimes. She might come with me on an overcast day that doesn't get too hot. Though sometimes she stays on the trail if the woods get too thick. She likes to sit down and watch the little bugs walking by :)

I almost always cache by myself. It's very dangerous and I carry a large stick to beat off the hordes of women who are always chasing after me.

Hordes of women? All I get is some freaky kid on a bike screaming "TWO DOLLARS!"... He won't leave me alone!

:ph34r:

I still want my two dollars. :blink:

Did 'Bro just own up to being a freaky kid on a bike? :o

:huh:

Ok, fine, then! :)

Gee Johnny, I don't have a dime...

I'm a guy who caches alone. My wife (the lovely "Laura Jazz") used to go with me, but she got burnt out on caching after only 100 finds. She was really good at spotting them too, had an eagle eye. I am terrible at finding so this has been quite a challenge for me. I can get to the spot but can't seem to find the container for a long time, even on really easy ones. I need to bring someone who can help me find them, but no one will go with me. I tried to teach my dog to sniff out hidden ammo boxes but she never got consistently good at it, and even when she could sniff out some, sometimes the cache would be in a tupperware, not ammo can, and she'd get confused, which just made her frustrated to where she didn't want to go either. Now she stays home with my wife and knits. It's dangerous for a dog to knit because they have no opposable thumbs.

So I'm still caching alone. Sometimes I wear a hat. Anyone else caching alone, wearing a hat, taking a a dog, etc? What are your thoughts on this?

Wow! Sounds like maybe you need breath mints, deoderant or a bag over your head! :)

Take scissor. This help to defend your self agains would be female attackers.

Yes, you should be very careful around any would-be females. :) ...or did you mean female would-be attackers?

Women cacheturbate too you know.

There's one for the glossary. Cacheturbation, geocaching alone.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Criminal

Take scissor. This help to defend your self agains would be female attackers.

Yes, you should be very careful around any would-be females. :wub: ...or did you mean female would-be attackers?

Women cacheturbate too you know.

There's one for the glossary. Casturbation, geocaching alone.

:ph34r::wub:

Thanks Crim I'm adding that one to my geo-glossary.

I do most of my caching alone. When I lived in the states all my caching was alone, when I moved overseas, I cache occasionally with the locals but still am alone most of the time.

The problem here is that the stats on crime are so high that everytime you are near an urban area, you fear that someone has made an informal settlement at the cache area. Stealth with your GPS is always recommended here. And considering buying some pepper spray just in case. mostly rely on street smarts and that good old gut feeling about venturing into a wooded spot alone. Sometimes my heart pounds harder than it should while I am signing the log and hiding from the 'locals'!!!