Men Who Cache Alone

Hugh Jazz

I'm a guy who caches alone. My wife (the lovely "Laura Jazz") used to go with me, but she got burnt out on caching after only 100 finds. She was really good at spotting them too, had an eagle eye. I am terrible at finding so this has been quite a challenge for me. I can get to the spot but can't seem to find the container for a long time, even on really easy ones. I need to bring someone who can help me find them, but no one will go with me. I tried to teach my dog to sniff out hidden ammo boxes but she never got consistently good at it, and even when she could sniff out some, sometimes the cache would be in a tupperware, not ammo can, and she'd get confused, which just made her frustrated to where she didn't want to go either. Now she stays home with my wife and knits. It's dangerous for a dog to knit because they have no opposable thumbs.

So I'm still caching alone. Sometimes I wear a hat. Anyone else caching alone, wearing a hat, taking a a dog, etc? What are your thoughts on this?

Take scissor. This help to defend your self agains would be female attackers. Scissors are very effective against thier credit cards and thus inhibits thier ability to shop.

Also, do not attract them with things like cute dogs or kids. This can lead to horrible atttacks and long conversations.

I'm a man who caches alone some of the time, but it sometimes makes me nervous to do so. I'm only 6 feet tall, ugly as sin, and 300 pounds, so I feel vulnerable. My dogs would much rather sleep on the couch, my main pastime before discovering geocaching, so they won't come with me.

What should I do?

ps - I sometimes wear a hat

... I'm only 6 feet tall, ugly as sin, and 300 pounds, so I feel vulnerable ...

What should I do? ...

You could get grow a couple inches, spend millions on plastic surgery, and lose a couple pounds. Or, be glad you're not 4 ft. tall handsome as sin, and only weigh 64 lbs. :lol::lol:

You're a Hobbit!? COOL!

I almost always cache by myself.  It's very dangerous and I carry a large stick to beat off the hordes of women who are always chasing after me.

Hordes of women? All I get is some freaky kid on a bike screaming "TWO DOLLARS!"... He won't leave me alone!

:lol:

I still want my two dollars. :lol:

I usually go alone, I like the time in the woods to myself.

Sometimes my girlfriend comes along too. She got into geocaching after going with me a few times, but doesn't have my patience and determination in finding them. :lol:

And on a couple of occassions my best friend has gone. She enjoys it, but hasn't done it enough to even be concerned with getting an account.

I'm a guy who caches alone.  My wife (the lovely "Laura Jazz") used to go with me, but she got burnt out on caching after only 100 finds.  She was really good at spotting them too, had an eagle eye.  I am terrible at finding so this has been quite a challenge for me.  I can get to the spot but can't seem to find the container for a long time, even on really easy ones.  I need to bring someone who can help me find them, but no one will go with me.  I tried to teach my dog to sniff out hidden ammo boxes but she never got consistently good at it, and even when she could sniff out some, sometimes the cache would be in a tupperware, not ammo can, and she'd get confused, which just made her frustrated to where she didn't want to go either.  Now she stays home with my wife and knits.  It's dangerous for a dog to knit because they have no opposable thumbs. 

So I'm still caching alone.  Sometimes I wear a hat.  Anyone else caching alone, wearing a hat, taking a a dog, etc?  What are your thoughts on this?

Is it possible that you are color-blind? Green can be a severe handicap, and many ammo boxes and camo-taped containers are that color. I recall that we have a higher chance of being color-blind than women.

Even if I'm alone, I rarely feel alone since I often encounter wild animals. For urban caching, being distracted by muggles (not necessarily in the extreme of ParrotRob) can be a good thing. :lol:

I almost always cache by myself.  It's very dangerous and I carry a large stick to beat off the hordes of women who are always chasing after me.

Hordes of women? All I get is some freaky kid on a bike screaming "TWO DOLLARS!"... He won't leave me alone!

Wow... are you sure you're a boy? :lol:

Back on topic, I too like the solitude of being alone in the woods. There is something very calming to my spirit out there. I don't get this when I cache in the city (regardless of container size). So.... that's WHY I go caching, period, nevermind alone.

I still want my two dollars. ;)

Wow... are you sure you're a boy? :lol:

Back on topic, I too like the solitude of being alone in the woods. There is something very calming to my spirit out there. I don't get this when I cache in the city (regardless of container size). So.... that's WHY I go caching, period, nevermind alone.

Back on topic, I am not of the male gender, so I have nothing more to contribute to this thread. ;)

Did 'Bro just own up to being a freaky kid on a bike? :lol:

Edited by VegasCacheHounds

Did 'Bro just own up to being a freaky kid on a bike? ;)

;)

Ok, fine, then! :lol:

My name is Metaphor, and I am a solo cacher.

(I actually prefer it that way too -- the peace and quiet is all mine, and I seldom want to share it with anyone. I took my wife once, my teenaged boys were offered but just rolled their eyes, and my dog doesn't get the point of looking for the cache when there are lots of new smells to chase down.)

I took up hiking about eleven years ago, because I needed a hobby. In that time, I've hiked over a thousand miles of the AT between New Hampshire and Virginia. Most of it, I hiked alone. Large parts of New England, I have hiked with my lovely sister, Circles (who is single, and lives in Maine.) I'm not afraid of hiking by myself.

A year and a half ago, I took up geocaching. After the misery of the Presi Traverse, I was ready to give up distance hiking anyway. (Getting too old for that, and that doesn't qualify as a trail in my book anyway.) I have a geocaching cohort, and together we have found many caches. My caching cohort, however, so not enjoy long, difficult or rocky hikes. Those caches, I do by myself. So, I have both the joys of caching with a good friend, and also the joys of being off in the woods by myself. Both are good.

I cache alone. But only because no one else I know wants to climb up a mountain just to find a box of trinkets hidden under a pile of rocks. Once I figure out where all the caches full of pirate treasure are at I'm sure I'll have more takers! Until then its a solo endeavor for me.

BTW- Did any pirates hide treasure chests in the deserts of the Southwestern U.S.? ;)

I'm fine by myself, I like the quiet and the time away from everyone else.

Ditto here. My daughter has gone on some as did my wife. Wife has been on a number of DNF's so she says she's bad luck. Daughter will go but she's not really into it - she still has to log those finds from two weeks ago. Being alone in the quiet ain't so bad in this hectic world.

got into this as a family activity but no one wants to go anymore. I cache alone and it isn't quite the same but had to re-evaluate a couple of weeks ago. Got in the wrong area sprained ankle on one leg and twisted a knee on the other. Managed to hobbled out to the road and back to the car. Another cacher after thay read my log said I could tag along with them :P

dragonflys

I've been caching for only a few months, just over a dozen finds. Workin' 70+ hours a week kinda limits my free time. I've only gone on one hunt with somebody, a girl that used to work for me. Must admit that that I did have a bit more fun on that one, jokin' around and such while we searched. The last couple I've hunted, I've called a good friend of mine in Minnisota, on my cell, and given her the play by play as I searched. That was pretty cool, I think she enjoyed it as much or more than I did. That will probably be as close as I get to not searchin' alone.

Despite the name on this forum, I am male and cache alone. The pseudonym is not due to any kind of gender crisis, but the fact that most of the other good Discworld names had gone. That and I have an idea for a multi-cache based on Nanny Ogg's Cookbook.

I've only just started caching in the last few weeks, although Mrs Mrs Nanny Ogg (errr...I think) is going to join in soon. I remember walking the dogs one day, and seeing a man coming out the bushes, near to where I live, sweating profusely. He looked extremely embarrassed and guilty, and was most relieved when I said simply, "Geocaching?"

I always take the dogs with me when I cache alone. Being terriers I can always come out from a cache and cover myself by saying they've been down a rabbit hole! The down side is that being terriers I rarely see them when I'm walking, but there you go.

Nanny Ogg.

I'm still new to caching, but absolutely LOVE going alone! It's such a delightful activity for me, I feel that going with other people could almost take some of the fun out of it...I enjoy going at my own pace, taking as much or as little time as I like, hopping fences or scaling walls if I'm feeling naughty, and not having to answer to anyone. Plus, this way I always get to be the one to find the cache, and that moment of discovery is so delicious! Caching is pure and simple *ME* time! :anitongue:

I go alone some of the time and my wife and daughter might go as well. It's not that they're opposed to going. Just happens to be what I'm into more then what they wanna do. That never seems fun when you drag someone along that might wanna be doing something else. I don't go as often as I'd like to either .