Sig. Item Idea Advice

fueller

Hello group. I'm a newbie to geo-caching. From the start, I've taken care to stay well within the listed guidelines I've reviewed on this site. So far it's been fun. I have an idea for a sig. item that I've been thinking about. I'm going to try and explain my goal as best I can, and would like some input about the idea.

The idea I have, for my sig. item, comes from a couple of different angles. First, while I have not placed an official cache yet, I intend to do so soon. My first impulse, after finding my first few caches, was to run out and place a new one, but by reading through some forum posts I found that there is a kind of "wait and see" attitude from a lot of people, concerning newbie hides. I fought the impulse to place my own new cache, and will probably wait till I get 20 finds or so before placing my own. Second, it did not take me long to realize that, (not having yet been in the first few to find a new cache) after a cache has been found a few dozen times, what usually started out as a nice, well though out assortment of items for a player to find, quickly turns into what looks like the content of someones junk box. I'm not here to complain about that aspect of the hobby, I understand that it's probably inevitable. It's not a slam on any individual cacher or cache site that I've visited. I will say that I have done my best, so far, to observe the "leave something equal-to or better than what you find" rule. Maybe, for the simple reason that I'm new at this, I've been vigilant so far in having a well stocked goodie-bag so I can leave something good at my finds. Most of my best items are still in that bag, because in the end, I just can't abide taking a broken marker, soiled bank key-chain freebie, used plastic McD. toy, and leaving a new packaged deck of cards and glass figurine in return. I have, however, done my best so far to leave appropriate items, trinkets that (I hope)would be considered a nice little find. There was one exception when I forgot my bag of stuff, so having nothing better, I left quarters so that I could take a small glass bead a a souvenier of my hardest find yet. Anyway, that was not at all the point or question I came here with, so here it goes. I like the idea of leaving a sig. item, it just strikes me as neat. There is a local cacher whom I've never met, but I've already found 4 (out of 13 finds) of his/her calling cards. That person is obviously a very active cacher in my area. I want to develop my own calling card, but with a twist of some kind. My idea is to use an (as yet undetermined) item that will be my sig. item that will have printed on it the coords. to a new destination, something within say a half mile of the existing cache. It will have instructions that it's a one item, one time only extra cache listed only at this site on this sig. item.

I'm not sure that was clear, so here is the idea. When I am looking for a cache that I intend to leave my sig. item at, I stop when I'm within a half mile or so, (according to my gps) of the cache, take out of my bag a goodies, and find an appropriate hidding spot for my leave, (which would be pre-sealed for moisture protection) and conceal it. I then take the coords. and write them down on my sig. item, which would already have an explaination written on it. Something to the order of "Hello, I am a one time, one item 'Extra Cach' bug, placed here to further extend the fun of this hobby. If you are up to the challenge, take me with you and input the coordinates, which will follow, into your GPS. When/if you find the 'Extra Cache, please e-mail me at the address posted within this extended 'Extra Cache' location. If you do not intend to search for this item, please leave me here, in the original cache, as found."

The point being that someone finds an existing cache, takes a look at my sig. item, and decides if he/she wants to extend the game by searching the coords. listed on my sig. item for the extra cache. Any items left (for the extra search) would be worthwhile (in my opinion) as a prize/find, placed in an acceptable area not too far away, sealed, and within location guidelines listed on this site. Once found, my e-mail would be included with a request to send me a message when/if the item is found. It would be kind of a hybrid bug. Maybe I could call it a 'Parasite Bug' or something similar, as it would be a tag-along, one time only cache for someone that wants to search for a 'surprise' cache nearby.

What do you think? I feel it would a fun variant to the game, but does it violate any existing rules. If I found something like this in a cache, you can bet I would go look.

Since this would be sort of an extra unsolicited prize from me, with no expectation that there would be anything left in return, I would not (probably) leave any clues. Because of this, I understand that there might be a number of (unlogged) 'DNF's', or just missing items, but at least there would be legit. searches (hopefully) for the cache, and I think it would be a fun variant to the game. Once someone took the original sig. item, it would be gone, so others would not embark on a fruitless search, and if someone could not find the item, they would still have the original sig. item for their stock. If the item is found, the searcher is happy (hopefully) and I get my own e-mail log (hopefully) of the search/adventure, so I am satisfied. I think it would be an all around memorable seek for everyone involved. The finder does not have to leave anything, other than the requested e-mail, and only then if they choose to follow through and send it. I would get the satisfaction of having left my own variant-caches, which would be enjoyable for me. Comments?

I think that is a great idea. I don't see how it could be against any guidelines. You are not posting the temp. cache on gc.com or really telling anyone (except the next finder) about the special cache.

A local cache has some coords to places with great icecream and other good food for those out of town cachers that want to get some good eats while in town. I think that is nice too.

It sounds nice to me, but my concern would be the possibility of the special cache becoming geo-litter.

I would assume the next cacher would be expected to take the sig item. If they didn't, then the following cachers would think the item is still there and might go hunt for it. If this happens too often, cachers might just see the item then ignore it and your extra cache ends up not being found.

Also, if the cacher does take the item and then doesn't find the extra cache, no one else would have the coordinates to go look for it and again it becomes geo-litter. If the cacher had to travel 1/2 mile to this location, I doubt many would want to go back to return the item so someone else could go look for it.

I also agree that it sounds like fun...but along with the other concerns mentioned...

If someone (perhaps not even involved in caching) found the additonal item and removed it the cachers with the sig card would be looking for something that was no longer there. You would need to be willing to go back to the hiding spot to double check that the item was still there when you got "DNFs" on the bonus from cachers.

I think this sounds like a great idea.

There are all sorts of things that "could" go wrong, and given enough time everyone on here could think of most of them, but I say try it see how it works for you. As long as it goes well most of the time the finder of your signature item will have a real treat and locals will likely want to find one. This thing may create a bigger rush than first to finds :huh:

Way to be creative and thinking up a way to make someone's hunt a special one.

GEO.JOE

It sounds nice to me, but my concern would be the possibility of the special cache becoming geo-litter. 

Also, if the cacher does take the item and then doesn't find the extra cache, no one else would have the coordinates to go look for it and again it becomes geo-litter.  If the cacher had to travel 1/2 mile to this location, I doubt many would want to go back to return the item so someone else could go look for it.

I was about to mention this point. One more. If the finder just keys in the coords and takes the bonus item, but leaves the sig item inside the cache the next person will be sent on a wild goose chase.

We're just mentioning possible pitfalls because these things will happen. I'm often amazed by how many people are unable to follow simple directions.

Edited by briansnat

Another option is to leave your calling card with instructions to contact you (through GC?) and you can mail the item. Could get into some money, but if your item is small and lightweight, shipping is less than $1. And you could be picky about which caches you leave your card in--only tough ones, or whatever.

Might make some new friends that way, too.