Golden Dragon Coming December

Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy

Please do not ask for coins here, this is to get an idea on what the prefered method to order will be.

The Golden Dragon coin will be the same as the Emerald Dragon coin with the following changes:

24 karat gold plating (polished gold)

Sandblasting on front recessed area (Getting same gritty as back requires new die)

The green colors will be a little different shade

They will have red gem eye's (Sorry blue fans) :laughing:

They are scheduled to ship December 19, so I will probably ship them the first business day after Christmas holiday.

I haven't decided how many to sell, either 50 or 100. Last time I set a limit of 100, selling far more in preorders. One reason I am minting this coin is for placement in caches, and I don't wanna get "wiped out" right off the bat.

This one will be $8.00 shipped to U.S.

SO.........

Would you like to:

1. Pre-order thread

2. Set a date/time for "Buy it now" on eBay

(If #2, would you want it after I get the coins, or sooner like maybe this weekend?) Either way they will be shipped end of December for those who have made payment.

BTW 250 will be made of this run, and limit one coin per cacher/address.

Edited by Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy

Honestly, a pre-order thread will go way over the number you plan, and you'll have a lot of sorting to do. The eBay idea seems to be working for some, but I'm wondering how fees will start to factor in to coin pricing.

My suggestion is to have people e-mail a specific email address starting at a particular time. You can set one up through gmail or something, or even use your own, but people may already know that. Instruct them to use a specific phrase in the subject line that will allow you to filter those messages for better management. Then you can simply take the first X amount of emails and that's who's in.

Remember, it's YOUR sale, and you're the boss. Do it however is most convenient for you.

Will you allow the 1st coin purchases to the ones that bought the 1st coin first? I would like to see that. Either way is fine really. Ebay may be better. I haven't had any problems getting any coin that has gone on sale there yet but have had trouble with others selling the other ways and missed them.

:laughing: I like the Idea of offering it to people that got the first one, but I also think that a few should be offered exclusively to those who didn't. Also keep in mind this is a worldwide hobby and the sell times should be set up to accomodate other countries also. :anibad:
My suggestion is to have people e-mail a specific email address starting at a particular time. You can set one up through gmail or something, or even use your own, but people may already know that. Instruct them to use a specific phrase in the subject line that will allow you to filter those messages for better management. Then you can simply take the first X amount of emails and that's who's in.

Remember, it's YOUR sale, and you're the boss. Do it however is most convenient for you.

I used this method on my sale, and it worked pretty well, but not all used the proper subject line. One no-subject ended up in the trash :laughing: So you'll need to decide if you're gonna be strict or let it go. I let it go. I had fun :anibad:

I can tell you that selling them on ebay is easier for the seller no matter what. I have noticed several coins that are not "selling out" like they normaly would and I am thinking it's the holiday's doing it. I myself am only buying one or two coins rather than my 4-5.

I thought you were going to offer to the people who bought your last coin first?

This is what we did for the GeoGhost coin, and will do for the Kitsap Coin this Sunday. It works just fine.

(shameless plug, there :laughing: )

Don't do the email thing. There's too many possibilities of things going wrong. I tried to get in on one that way and my email just disappeared. Luckily, there were enough being sold that the individual selling the coins let me know that he never got my original email and I sent him another email from a different email account and that one worked. But if there had only been 50 to 100, I wouldn't have been able to resend. Also, when you're working with 2 servers, both yours and theirs, that's twice the chance for a glitch, either a delay or MIA. So I vote for selling them on eBay.

Also, I think you should offer to the original coin purchasers first and then sell any that aren't taken.

I'd like to see everyone have a fair change to purchase this coin. Why should those who purchased the first coin get first shot at purchasing this coin? There are a number of new coin collectors that I'm sure would like to add to their collection also.

I like a Dutch auction on eBay.

How about restricting it to people who didn't have a chance to get one of the first ones. Spread the wealth a little. That way there'd be a lot more trading.

(Actually, I don't think you should restrict it at all, but surely restricting it to people who already have one is the least equitable way to proceed. Not that there is any requirement for you to be equitable. As someone noted earlier, it's your sale. You're the boss.)

Hate paying all those ebay fees to buy coins on presales

what fees? it's like 25 cents...stop being such a tight wad jim :lol:

On a dutch auction of 100 coins? $0.048/coin insertion fee plus 5.25% of the selling price. $10 coin = $0.58 Ebay Fees Of course these are slightly higher or lower depending on coin price. And I am pretty sure those that have used ebay so far have figured the ebay fees into the selling price of the coins.

I'd like to see everyone have a fair change to purchase this coin. Why should those who purchased the first coin get first shot at purchasing this coin?  There are a number of new coin collectors that I'm sure would like to add to their collection also.

To answer your questions.

The people who bought first were told there would be no other coins. Now there is another coin. Is it fair to shut out the original buyers who were told what they got was it and now they can't get the more valuable version that's being made? Or do you shut out new buyers who requested the coin be made and now it is?

Limiting it to one per original buyer is a compromise and would open it up to new people as well. Of course the final decision belongs to the owner.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Here is a easier way to judge just the ebay fees. I owe them 586.74 for the sale of almost 1400 coins.

Now, that does not include the paypal fees.

A website we all have bought coins from wanted close to 2,333 if I sold my coins on their site.

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys

It doesn't matter to me which ay it goes. I would just like to make sure I get one to match the Emerald dragon I have.

Having said that I have had problems with the ebay route. Every time I try and order something from there it takes me 3 times as long because of random errors and stuff.

A good point brought up though. I would wait until after christmas before you start the sale. A lot of people are being a bit tighter with the money right now because of christmas. Doing it after the holidays would let everyone have a chance to catch up on things and figure out how much cash they have left to spend on coins.

A good point brought up though. I would wait until after christmas before you start the sale. A lot of people are being a bit tighter with the money right now because of christmas. Doing it after the holidays would let everyone have a chance to catch up on things and figure out how much cash they have left to spend on coins.

I'm in for waiting til after Christmas too.

I'd like to see everyone have a fair change to purchase this coin. Why should those who purchased the first coin get first shot at purchasing this coin?  There are a number of new coin collectors that I'm sure would like to add to their collection also.

The people who bought first were told there would be no other coins. Now there is another coin. Is it fair to shut out the original buyers who were told what they got was it and now they can't get the more valuable version that's being made? Or do you shut out new buyers who requested the coin be made and now it is?

Limiting it to one per original buyer is a compromise and would open it up to new people as well. Of course the final decision belongs to the owner.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware those who bought the first coin were told there would be no other coins. Missed out on the first coin and haven't been able to arrange a trade for one, so I was hoping to have a shot at getting one of the new coins. I agree, your suggestion to limit the purchase of the new coin to one per original buyer as a compromise, while opening it up to new people as well would probably work best. It'll be interesting to see what the owner decides to do, they are after all his coins.

There will be no more of the Emerald Dragon. And the question was posed before an order was made for a gold edition. If someone minted a run of 250 coins, 100 silver, 100 gold and 50 pewter....is that one coin? I think it's three. Would you want one of each? Or just any one? Also, this gold one is not "more valuable". The Emerald dragon is .999 silver plated, the gold 24K plated. They charge the same price. The gold will actually be cheaper because they're using the same dies. Also added sandblasting to front (Was told gritty could be added, now they say I need a new die for that, oh well). Color is a little different too. I tried making changes while lowering the price, and not having new dies made. This should be distinctly different, and no way can anyone say these two coins are the same.

If it's a problem, I don't mind not selling any and just dropping them into caches for the next year or two. As long as I cache, I will be dropping coins. When I run out, more will be made. New design or not, but none will be identical to another, without question.

When a coin says "Coin XXX of 250", then there better not be 251 of them! That's why no more of the original will be made. Just like the gold coin, no more.

Yet another dilema to think about. Maybe I better get ready to start dropping off 250 gold coins into local caches......one at a time. At least no one will complain about how/if they should be distributed, who should have first crack, yadda yadda yadda. Heck, I bet I could dispose of at least 200 of them to my local group I cache with, no problem! Dang, it's just a trademark coin. ;):back:

Edited by Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy
....If someone minted a run of 250 coins, 100 silver, 100 gold and 50 pewter....is that one coin?  I think it's three.  Would you want one of each?  Or just any one?  Also, this gold one is not "more valuable"....

That's a good question.

The 2005 Idaho, Washington and Oregon are different coins. No question about it.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

The 2006 Idaho has the same back and a different pic on the front. Otherwise it’s the same die. The front's graphic is what changed for 2006. I'd say it's more different than a 2005 Idaho in different finish.

Chevy, Pontiac.

Your coin like many others is the same coin, different finish making it different but not too different. A run of 200 Gold and 200 Silver would be:

Silver Mustang, Gold Mustang

A run of 300 Pewter, 200 Copper, 100 Silver, 50 Gold would be

Mustang , Mustang Convertible, Mustang GT, Mustang GT Convertible.

As for value, If Im' a Car Collector I'll go for the Mustang GT Convertible and I'd pass on the more base varieties unless it's all I could get. It's not any different for coins. If they are all the same, I'll pick the Mustang in my favorite color.

Edited by Renegade Knight

i have just started collecting and did not get one of the first coins. i would definitely like to get one of the second coins. i use ebay a lot but i guess i am little worried i may miss the timing for getting in on the auction. can you limit how many people purchase if it is dutch? and if people have not read the whole listing on ebay explaining there is a limit and order multiples won't you have the same work of having to go back and track those orders/bids?

ultimately you know the problems with each method and are the one who has to deal with it and feel you should do what makes it easiest for you to handle. i will try to get one either way.

debra/qattales