Sd Card Memory Problem

I have put a 1gb SD card in my Ipaq.

Onto this I transfered a large quantity of maps via MM.

It has worked great for a couple of weeks now...

..Until tonight when I opened MM on the pda and all the maps had dissapeared! :P

I used file explorer to look for the map files but they aren't there.

However when I check the memory situation its showing 800mb used?

I have just loaded another map to the card and it's on there on its lonesome.

Where has all the memory gone and how do I get it back?

Heeeelp!

I have put a 1gb SD card in my Ipaq.

Onto this I transfered a large quantity of maps via MM.

It has worked great for a couple of weeks now...

..Until tonight when I opened MM on the pda and all the maps had dissapeared! :P

I used file explorer to look for the map files but they aren't there.

However when I check the memory situation its showing 800mb used?

I have just loaded another map to the card and it's on there on its lonesome.

Where has all the memory gone and how do I get it back?

Heeeelp!

The first question is. Did you let the battery go flat? If so you would have lost the programe file that was on the main memory.

Take out the card and put it into your computer if you can. via a card reader. See what it tells you if there is the maps there.

Install the MM programe again onto the main memory and the card.

This may help.

No I didn't let the batt's go flat.

The prog seems to run fine.

All user data waypoints etc, Index all in tact, in fact as I said I have just re-loaded one of the missing maps and MM on the PDA finds it and uses it just dandy...

They are all in Ipaq file store, not on the card.

...its just the 800mb of maps that should be on the card that it can't find.

And whats more worrying is that the 800mb of memory is still in use and I can't get it back.

I don't have a card reader at home but have access to one in work tomorrow.

Just been Googling for some help and seems probs like this are not uncommon.

I might have to format the card using the card reader tomorrow..

..unless anyone else has any ideas?

I can re-install MM I understand that...

...although the data loss is not my main concern.

I am more concerned with the locked memory.

Will I have to format the SD card using a card reader

to regain the 800mb that it says is used although the maps arn't there.

I assume that they are not there as I re loaded a map that should have been there and it let me without warning that the file existed.

I don't have a card reader at home but have access to one in work tomorrow.

Pop round if you want as I have a card reader - or you could try it on another Ipaq?

Cheers John,

Thanks for the offer but I'll check it out in work in the morning.

Re: formatting the card, there was only the maps and one other small jpg on it so losing everything isn't a problem, I have all the files to re-install anyway.

Just a bit worried about the reliability of the card now! :P

First thing is that an SD card requires no Battery power to maintain storage, I have an SD card that just has a backup of the PDA settings, not used this in 6 months and the contents are still there.

Now what happened with your contents? That can be hard to answer, but here are some things which affect SD card.

1. susceptible to static

2. mains spikes

3. removal whilst PDA is on

4. general misuse

These problems are not limited to PPC or SD cards they affect other devices (cameras Palm PDA's etc) and other types of none-volatile memory also.

What do I do?

Well I have a complete backup of the essential data saved in a Folder of my PC called SDCard1... 2 ....3 ....4 etc. and If I ever have a problem I can recreate the card from that quickly using an SD card reader on my PC (much quicker that sync transfer)

I will add this knowledge to the V2 PDA guide

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

We're sure this will be dismissed as stupid because you've presumably taken out the card and replaced it? However, we went though a similar problem when we had an IPAQ PDA. What occasionally happened was that the SD card would become "unlatched" - maybe through contact with clothing or as the PDA was pushed into its case. It would only be noticeable on close examination - just the top of the card peeking up a bit higher than usual. The slot kept it in place, but not far enough; it needed clicking firmly into place. Just a thought......

Removing the battery from the PDA, or allowing the main battery to run out should not cause you to lose any programmes. This should only happen if the backup lithium battery. We had this happen and Bren replaced it - it's the size of a watch battery but costs a small fortune!

If u format it u will lose everything for good  SO DON'T! >>>>>>> retrace your steps and THINK how/what happened ( for u to lose them  ).........?

Not quite. It's a little known fact, but these cards are formated with FAT and so data is not actually lost by the formatting but by subsequent addition of new files over where the old ones still are. I once formatted a nearly full camera card by mistake and only found out after taking about 8 more photos - I recovered 80 something of the 90 that were on there!

Two tools to try are, on the Ipaq Pocket Mechanic which is shareware and allows you to do some pretty good diagnostics and stuff on Pocket PC; and if you are able to put your card into a PC then File Rescue Plus (also shareware, but the eval version will a: let you see if the stuff is still there and b: recover up to 2 files). Google for each of these for more info.

FWIW, I have a set of folders on my PC which each represent a complete copy of every SD card I use in my PPC. So I always have a full backup - this is good practice I have had one SD and one CF card die on me over the years.

Good luck with finding your maps...

The back-up was no problem as the sd card was solely for storing maps which I have DVD's of.

They have been working fine for 2 weeks.

Then ...gone. :lol:

Ipaq couldn't find them but the card showed 800mb in use.

When I put the card into a card reader the map files had disappeared.

but the properties of the card still showed 800mb in use.

I formatted and recovered the locked space and re-loaded the maps direct from the DVD's to the card whilst still in the reader in a matter of minutes.

Still worried that this will happen again at some inoppertune moment. :lol:

Dave

some things which affect SD card.

1. susceptible to static

2. mains spikes

3. removal whilst PDA is on

4. general misuse

Milton (aka Moote)

I had not realized that removal of cards from PDAs and cameras while switched on was dangerous - how big is the hazard?

John

Removal is probably the most dangerous part of any Storage media life. You can do almost anything else with them, but removal can Kill it. All types are just as susceptible CD CF MMC etc

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote