Involved Multis?

Chiro75

I have been contemplating placing my first cache. Since I can't find any in the snow, I was thinking maybe placing one would be fun! :P It'd be one that is snow-certified for all the other frustrated MI folks. Anyway, I was thinking of something more involved than just a traditional. Maybe a themed multi that takes you quite a few different places, along some nice hikes, some nice parks, maybe to see things during the winter that look different because the leaves are gone than they do in the summer, something like that.

Anyway, would a rather large (5-10 stages) multi that has people driving around quite a bit be annoying, or cool? I realize it'd probably be tough for out of towners to do, but I'm thinking this would appeal more to locals. To me having a multi that takes you around a lot is not much different from doing a bunch of different caches, although you only get to log one find! :D

My intention would be more to get people out and walking around, seeing familiar things from a different perspective, etc.

Is this annoying because it would be too involved/too much work, or would there be some appeal to it?

winter caching takes some getting used to, for sure. it makes it a different game, but over-involved multi caches don't really float my boat. last winter a local cacher put out a multi that involved getting numbers off of utility poles, doing math, and moving on to the next location. i gave up after about 3. of course utility poles are not parks but, apparently, completing the cache took about 75 miles to complete, and on icy roads that isn't my cup of tea.

IMHO, the park idea would be nice if it didn't have a huge number of stages. i like multis but if i have to go to more than 5 stages and it involves a lot of driving, i probably won't do it or will take a long time to complete it. a local cacher has one out similar to what i think you are describing: A Tour of Kalamazoo City Parks

I'll never do that one because it's just too much. i've been to all those parks for other caches, but completing this one would be too much back and forth. seven people have done it, so there may be some interest, but if it's too involved, i wouldn't expect much traffic.

there are some cachers who might really enjoy it. hope i don't dissuade you from placing what might be a really great multi! shoot, compared to kalamazoo, holland could use some more caches. there may be some holland area cachers out there just dying for a nice involved multi...

if you read some of the logs from the cache which i linked to above, you'll see that some people really enjoyed it. 18 stages, enough math and lots of driving sound like too much of a chore for me to tackle that one right now.

maybe you could get out with a cacher from the area and hit some and get a feel for caching in the snow. one tool that i find invaluable is a trekking pole to poke poke poke in the snow. if you decide to place it, good luck! :P

Edited by vree13

Hey yeah :mad: do a multi in conjunction with a mystery cache i have done a few of these were on you get counted for each part of the multi beings there is a log book in each one and also a cache page ,and have parts of the coords for the mystery cache in each of the legs of the multi . So who ever wants to do the whole series can and will get the booty at the end and those who just wish to grab a few for the numbers can do this also, and i think it matters not of the weather or season if you hide them they will come :laughing:

:anibad: Life is the prize and then you die :mad:

Edited by 2trax

If you stop and think about it, driving is not something that people start caching in order to do. Hiking, walking, looking, seeing something historical or just plain cool - that's why they cache. Thus, a multi that makes you drive around isn't going to hit the sweet spot for most people.

The criteria for the stages of a multi should be the same for a traditional - is there something worthwhile there? if there is, then use it as a stage. if there isn't, then what are you doing there? The main reason for doing a multi rather than a traditional is so that you can guide someone to some cool spot that you might otherwise not be able to hide a cache at.

In addition, most people really want their multis to be closely geographically bounded. A multi in a park is ok. A multi in 3 parks, not so much. I *have* done historic homes multis, but the homes were all within a few blocks of each other.

Example - in Holland there's a neat old museum, the Cappon House, right downtown. Go hide a cache in a park nearby, take coordinates, and then use the house as the multi start. At the start, present questions that need to be answered to get the actual cache coordinates - either fill in the blank or multiple choice, and either inside the museum or outside. It's a nice, simple, self-contained multi-cache that can be done in a half hour or less, possibly without any driving at all.

Drive all over? visit a bunch of parks? That's multiple traditional caches.

I like involved multi caches as long as they keep me in the general area. I do not care that much for those that send me driving all over the place. I would rather work on the multi even if it involved me hiking 20+ miles back & forth on the same trail. I have been playing with one local cache now for about 8 months and I still have 3 steps to finish to find the final.