Snow Equipment

Peacecamp1

Other than dress for the weather, I don't do a whole lot differently than I would at any other time of year. When the snow is deep you have to think a little harder about where the cache might be. Having a stick along to poke into snowy places is a little more efficient than pawing through the snow, but the stick works for leaves in the fall, too. Up north of me where the snow gets really deep, I know some folks who use snowshoes, but I've never used any. If the snow's that deep, I go do some urban micros. :P

I have really nice broom I use to clear the porch and sometimes a patch by the garage so I can back the Tiggercycle out. I mostly walk to work year round so I got some crampons from Wally for $4 so I can walk on the ice. They'll get a real test when Star tries to kill me by sending me down the Niagara Gourge after caches at x-mas.

I'm expecting an electric shovel from a friend so I don't have to depend on the next door couple to clear the shared driveway.

Star has the 4WD Tiggermobile which is handy for winter caching. Ask her about our trip to Sarnia last winter some time.LOL

Wulf

My wife and I are relatively new to geocaching, however the two of us have different views of winter. My wife would hole up for the winter and hibernate. As for me, I'll go through all weather for the thrill of the chase. Getting smarter, I'm dressing much warmer for the weather and bring a stick to help me poke around. I can not stress the importance to dress for the weather. A bad case of frost bite can certainly take one out of the running for quite some time. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the days of summer but I will not let the snow and cold force me to stay indoors.

Being a hunter, I like to use wool clothing. Good wool and moisture wicking undergarments will really make a difference. I stay warm in 15 degree temps while SITTING in a treestand! Once I get up and do some walking, I'm actually too warm. A lot of newbies make the mistake of wearing too much clothing. Once you start sweating, the moisture will cause you to get cold real quick!

Just in case anyone is interested, this is what I wear hunting and wouldn't hesitate to wear during some cold weather caching. Of course, there is other options out there, but these work for me (smile)...

Thermastat underpants and shirt (from Cabela's)

Long sleeve t-shirt

cargo pants

Unlined wool vest, jacket and pants (from Grey Wolf Woolens)

rag wool glove/mittens (the kind that is gloves without fingertips, but have the mitten style finger that folds over, if that makes sense....also from Cabela's)

Stormy Kromer wool hat (www.3riversarchery.com)

Like I said, lots of other options out there, but that's my set up! :P

Being a hunter, I like to use wool clothing. Good wool and moisture wicking undergarments will really make a difference. I stay warm in 15 degree temps while SITTING in a treestand! Once I get up and do some walking, I'm actually too warm. A lot of newbies make the mistake of wearing too much clothing. Once you start sweating, the moisture will cause you to get cold real quick!

Just in case anyone is interested, this is what I wear hunting and wouldn't hesitate to wear during some cold weather caching. Of course, there is other options out there, but these work for me (smile)...

Long sleeve t-shirt

cargo pants

rag wool glove/mittens (the kind that is gloves without fingertips, but have the mitten style finger that folds over, if that makes sense....also from Cabela's)

Like I said, lots of other options out there, but that's my set up! :P

I BET HIS FEET GET COLD,,,

We've found that the only footwear that will keep our feet warm when not moving, such as sitting in a tree stand or waiting in ambush for a INDIANA GEOCACHE to walk by is: metal socks, wool socks and Mickey Mouse Boots (army surplus)--but they're pretty heavy and clumsy for running. :D

Being a hunter, I like to use wool clothing.  Good wool and moisture wicking undergarments will really make a difference.  I stay warm in 15 degree temps while SITTING in a treestand!  Once I get up and do some walking, I'm actually too warm.  A lot of newbies make the mistake of wearing too much clothing.  Once you start sweating, the moisture will cause you to get cold real quick!

Just in case anyone is interested, this is what I wear hunting and wouldn't hesitate to wear during some cold weather caching.  Of course, there is other options out there, but these work for me (smile)...

Long sleeve t-shirt

cargo pants

Like I said, lots of other options out there, but that's my set up!  :P

I BET HIS FEET GET COLD,,,

We've found that the only footwear that will keep our feet warm when not moving, such as sitting in a tree stand or waiting in ambush for a INDIANA GEOCACHE to walk by is: metal socks, wool socks and Mickey Mouse Boots (army surplus)--but they're pretty heavy and clumsy for running. :D

Oops! Sorry about that Lead Dog! I forgot to mention my Schnee pac boots (www.schnees.com). They work AWESOME and aren't as clumsy as the old Mickey Mouse boots! Gotta have a pair of Smartwool socks and moisture wicking liner socks too. And no, my feet don't get cold. LOL! :)

Lot of good advice and humor here. For the feet try a set of "ROCKY" Outdoor Gear boots. They have a set with a small knob on the tongue that ratchets the laces snug and the boot becomes part of your leg. They are low activity boots and keep your feet warm with 600 or 1000 gram thinsulate. Besure to LAYER your clothing. You trap in the body heat. Today I took my metal detector with me and located an ammo can cache under the snow.