Sport Or Game

Before you can debate any topic, you must have all definitions properly framed. I notice that a lot of the varied opinions in the threads come from, what I believe, a difference in how the activivity of geocaching is viewed by each individual.

The first fundamental difference is whether you view geocaching as a SPORT or a GAME.

According to one internet dictionary: (of course there's alternate definitions for each...)

SPORT-An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

GAME- An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime

Of course I expect that we will disagree on this topic as much as any other, but it could be helpful in understanding why others may fundamentally disagree with you on other topics.

For instance, I fall on the side of geocaching being a GAME. This helps to explain my opinion on another thread. (no universal rules or competition= game= NO Status) Again, this is just an example.

So where do you stand, Sport or Game, and how does the way you define this affect your overall opinions toward the activity?

My dictionary says:

Main Entry: sport

Function: noun

1 a : a source of diversion: RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

2 a : PLEASANTRY, JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY, DERISION

Actually I prefer that it not be called a game. A game conjures images of something frivolous. When the South Carolina legislature was debating the anti geocaching bill, they kept harping on our "playing games in cemeteries" and emphasizing the term games in an attempt to inflame.

For that reason alone I think we should strike the term "game" from our geo-vocablulary.

Edited by briansnat

The creativity aspect is important for me, as a hider. So I think Hobby is most applicable to my pursuit of geocaching. Others try to run up numbers and compare their scores, so they're playing a sport. Others are playing a game. For others it's a reason to collect everything from smilies to icons to geocoins, so for them it's obsessive compulsive disorder. :)

I like hobby and sport. "Games" implies competition.

Alright, just for the purpose of this discussion, let's work off the definitions in the OP:

SPORT-An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

GAME- An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime

Not to say that other definitions aren't valid; it's just that I don't want it to get to a dictionary comparison.

Or if there's another term altogether you prefer (HOBBY is good) throw that into the ring and why.

To each his own. Some think of it as a game, others as a sport. Still others see it as a hobby and a few as a club.

When I went caching on Tues, it was a game. When I go on a cache dash out of town next week...it'll be a sport. At the Christmass event in a week it'll be a club and when I place my next cache (Assuming I get the container finished) it'll be a hobby.

I'm waiting for the "full contact" version of geocaching.

Lets use this definition for the sake of argument. It says "often undertaken competetively". That doesn't mean always.

I'm a skier and I think most people would call skiing a sport, but unless I'm ski racing there is no competetion involved. And the vast majority of the participants have never competed while skiing.

Yet if I'm playing chess, or or backgammon there is competetion involved, but I don't think many people would classify chess or backgammon as sports.

Geocaching does involve physical exertion and a level of skill and is governed by rules and customs. Heck there is even some competetion involved (think of the FTF races), so it definitely falls under this definition of sport.

Edited by briansnat
baseball is a game. it is also a sport.

Baseball is a sport where games are played. As is football, hockey and basketball.

All those words are both nouns and verbs. So is Geocaching. If you use it as a noun then it would tend to be referring to the game aspect but use it as a verb and it could be a classified as a sport. :)

Bottom Line GC is all differant things to all differant people......

......inclunding potential criminal activity in SC :D

... Actually I prefer that it not be called a game.  A game conjures images of something frivolous.  When the South Carolina legislature was debating the anti geocaching bill, they kept harping on our "playing games in cemeteries" and emphasizing the term games in an attempt to inflame.

You know, you're right. I no longer think that 'game' is appropriate. I don't like sport at all, so that leaves me with 'Hobby'.

Edited by sbell111

Lets use this definition for the sake of argument. It says "often undertaken competetively". That doesn't mean always.

I'm a skier and I think most people would call skiing a sport, but unless I'm ski racing there is no competetion involved. And the vast majority of the participants have never competed while skiing.

Yet if I'm playing chess, or or backgammon there is competetion involved, but I don't think many people would classify chess or backgammon as sports.

Geocaching does involve physical exertion and a level of skill and is governed by rules and customs. Heck there is even some competetion involved (think of the FTF races), so it definitely falls under this definition of sport.

I've been using game most often lately, but based on this well thought out explanation will change to sport. Excellent post.! :D You could also substitute bicycle riding for skiing.

PS I shudder to think of how many more face plants I would take if I did try to ski competitively. :):D:D I'm a cruiser, plain and simple.

It's a Floor Wax AND a Dessert Topping!

I'm being quite useful. This thing is geocaching.

And geocaching's a Fine-Something-That-All-People-Need!

It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.

But it has OTHER uses. Yes, far beyond that.

You can use it for carpets. For pillows! For sheets!

Or curtains! Or covers for bicycle seats!"

happy fun ball is everywhere

happy fun ball is the neatest toy around

happy fun ball is

happy fun ball is not a toy

happy fun ball is designed specifically for chilren under 3 years of age

happy fun ball is still legal in 16 states

happy fun ball is spinning happily

happy fun ball is quite possibly the greatest toy ever invented

happy fun ball is dangerously uncool; my co

happy fun ball is everywhere warning

happy fun ball is now a collector's item

happy fun ball is a joke

happy fun ball is an active participant in the apples but initiates none of its projects

happy fun ball is the greatest sport ever

happy fun ball is a trademark of blammo corp

happy fun ball is strongly discouraged

happy fun ball is fun and ohh so happy

happy fun ball is an old snl "commercial"

happy fun ball is a great form of attrition but quite expensive

happy fun ball is a truly awesome name

happy fun ball is quite fun

happy fun ball is one of those fake commercials that they do on saturday night live

happy fun ball is half done

happy fun ball is not only > a weapon of war

happy fun ball is not only a weapon of war

happy fun ball is but it sounds scary as hell

happy fun ball is up to eleven people

happy fun ball is made out of

:D:P:D

Maybe the question should be, "should Geocaching be so competitive?"

I try to treat it as a "game" based on the definition given by the OP, but some people treat it as a "sport" (FTF, find counts, bragging rights, etc.). I've been guilty of making it a "sport" when the stakes got high, for example, going for a hard-to-find Geocoin that can be kept.

I don't think Geocaching is one or the other, but I prefer it to stay more a game than a sport for the sake of everyone's sanity.

I run, a lot. But I don't race and there are no 'rules' governing how I run. I do it for recreation, stress relief, fun, fitness, and many other reasons. These are the same reasons and terms that I use to describe my geocaching. It's only my opinion, but I think geocaching is a sport, just like running. I also think that everyone who geocaches benefits fitness-wise from the sport. Game implies competition. Sport implies getting outdoors and getting some exercise. Geocaching is a game for some, but it is a sport for all who do it.

This question is like asking, 'water, is it wet or is it a liquid?'

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

After reading all this my own opinion has changed. I don't think it's a game or a sport.

I was surprised to read some find the word "game" represents competition more than "sport". While you may have some poker runs here and there, I just don't view this as a competitive thing. With competition, you have winners and losers, and I think we can all agree there are no losers in Geocaching! :laughing: Also "everyone plays it their own way." When I think of a sport, I see mutually agreed upon rules. The Green Bay Packers and New York Giants can't get on the same field and then "play their own game." That's why I don't prefer sport.

But after briansnat view of "game", don't like that either. Game doesn't quite put the physical part into play. I think of monopoly or checkers

I think it's a cool sign that this activity IS so hard to define.

Hobby seems to be the best to me so far.

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs

$0.02 from the ol' fat guy;

Geocaching is whatever you make of it. For me, it's a hobby, possibly a game. It's something I do for my own enjoyment, measuring myself against myself. For others, I have no doubt it's a sport. My definitions don't follow the typical Websters standard, by the way, so I could be way off.

For instance, (in my eyes), golf, chess & baseball are all games. Football is, (just barely), a sport. Rugby is definitely a sport, as is hockey and jousting. I guess to qualify as a "sport" in my eyes, there needs to be significant bloodshed, at regular intervals. :laughing:

I think of geocaching like I think of hiking, kayaking, skiing or bicycling --- a hobby. It might be a sport if you're competing with someone, like bicycling, skiing and kayaking are sometimes (and even hiking if you compare miles). It could also occasionally be a game if you set out rules for finding caches, like (I suppose) at the Texas Challenge. But for the most part, it's a hobby, pastime, recreational activity.

The creativity aspect is important for me, as a hider.  So I think Hobby is most applicable to my pursuit of geocaching.  Others try to run up numbers and compare their scores, so they're playing a sport.  Others are playing a game.  For others it's a reason to collect everything from smilies to icons to geocoins....

I too am a hider. I have never found an outlet for my own creativity that even approaches geocaching, and I have tried out a lot of things. People are correct when they say you 'get hooked.' Geocaching employs many talents, not just one or two. Unlike most players that I have met my 'obsession' is making unique cache containers, many of which are a puzzle to get open, and taking people to all the best spots in the area I've lived in for 50+ years. Finally I try to use geocaching as a virtual classroom for anyone that wants to go beyond the find and take advantage of the information I include on the cache pages.

To me it is more of a game than a sport; a game that almost defies explanation. :laughing:

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom
baseball is a game. it is also a sport.

Baseball is a sport where games are played. As is football, hockey and basketball.

Now here's a pointless exercise. I better join in.

I think 2GaG Nailed it. The OP def of Sport fits geocaching to a tee. There are games within the sport (FTF, TBs, etc.) but you don't have to be competing to be geocaching, just like you don't have to be in a game to throw a baseball around. The rules and competative aspect are there whether you take advantage of them or not.

Technically, the original question is a logical fallacy known as a False dichotomy. Maybe a better question would be "is geocaching a sport?" The answer to that for our definition is, undeniably, yes. What you make of it is up to you. :laughing:

Hobby, recreation, etc. refer to someones relationship to geocaching. For a few people geocaching is more of a job, just like managing a baseball team. Even though the activities of managing geocaching or baseball don't fit the sport definition on their own they are still an integral part of their respective sports.

When i am putting together a cool cache i think of it as a hobbie or artwork but when i am out in the weeds seeking out another cool hide or lurking around a big city trying to be unnoticeable i think of it as an adventure :mad:

:laughing: Life is the prize and then you die :anibad:

Edited by 2trax

If Geocaching is a sport there would be lots of rules. There would be a national organization to interpret and enforce those rules. We would need to be drug tested once a year. There would be cameras in the trees watching our every move and commentators telling the masses how we are screwing up this one by turning over rocks when we should be looking under logs. We would spike that old ammo can into the dirt after we find it, spewing the contents all over the woods. If it was a sport, we would be looking for an edge to win every game. To beat everyone else to the cache, to get more caches than anyone else in a day... in a lifetime. People would claim caches they have not found or maybe not even attempted to find in order to win each game, to be the champion of this sport. No this isn't a sport or a game.. not here anyway.. with me it is just a relaxing hobby that borders on an obsession. :lol: