Tell Us About Your Handle...

SM0KEY

My name is Joshua Kee Simpson

BTW, can you change your username once it's been made. I made this one on the fly and know that I'm addicted to caching I think I might want a better handle but don't want to lose my stats.

You can no longer change your name, but you can still create a new account, and they go back and relog your finds using your new name. Just explain briefly in your logs that you are logging an old find under a new name.

Obviously, the sooner, the better if you're going to do it.

My name is Joshua Kee Simpson

BTW, can you change your username once it's been made. I made this one on the fly and know that I'm addicted to caching I think I might want a better handle but don't want to lose my stats.

You can no longer change your name, but you can still create a new account, and they go back and relog your finds using your new name. Just explain briefly in your logs that you are logging an old find under a new name.

Obviously, the sooner, the better if you're going to do it.

thanks. makes sense. not sure what to change it to. maybe i'll stick with simpjkee. maybe Cache4MyStash. i dont know. I'll think about it. thanks again.

Well, it started on the internet several years ago ...

A friend was visiting who didn't have internet at home. We were surfing when we stumbled across an "adult toys" website. One featured item was a Mink Cat-of-9-Tails toy whip. We laughed and commented about the "fuzzy whip".

Wala ... a handle is born!

Fuzzywhip

PS: My avatar is a photo of our best cat Sparky

Edited by Fuzzywhip

Had an incredible little black cat that I adopted from a no-kill shelter outside of Austin, Texas. He actually chose me as I was looking for a cat with a certain pattern, not a solid coal black cat, but every time I walked by his cage he reached a paw out to tap me.

I was on the way out when the lady asked if I wouldn't at least take a look at the little cat who was so taken with me, and I did, and it was love at first sight :P

I brought him home and he settled in like he had been there all his life, wonderful little guy, so great that I actually transported him across the Atlantic when I moved to Sweden and paid over 2k bucks to put him in quarantine with his buddy that I also adopted.

His name was Mouse... and people always laughed at a cat named mouse and I would explain that I didn't name the cat mouse, but that the shelter did.

It just eventually morphed to Mousekakat.

Like everyone else, I was looking for something that wasn't really common on the net and found that no one had used that name before, so I started using it for my user name everywhere.

We lost the wonderful Mousekakat almost 3 years old suddenly from feline upper urinary tract disease that we didn't know he had.

He's missed, but Mouse II helps a lot, along with his sister Missy, both adopted from a shelter here in Sweden and both also coal black.

Mouse II is eerily like his predecessor namesake, so much so that it makes you wonder about reincarnation.

I can't bring myself to call him Mousekakat or Mousester monster yet, though. Not sure I'll ever be able to!

I was in the army for 12yrs, My MOS or job Title was, Hawk missile continuous wave radar repairmen designation 24kilo01. They phased out the system and my MOS was very few and far between thus 24kilo , BTW my wifes nick is Goldie Locks and loads, Goldielocks for short. Get it 24k---Gold....and she's blonde..Oh well :laughing:

CTRFLDR - I used to play a lot (6 games a week) of softball, both slow pitch and fast pitch, did this for about 20 years, eventually I had to move to 1st base due to back/knees (centerfield is where by heart will always be though). Centerfield is where I roamed.

CTRFLDR - I used to play a lot (6 games a week) of softball, both slow pitch and fast pitch, did this for about 20 years, eventually I had to move to 1st base due to back/knees (centerfield is where by heart will always be though). Centerfield is where I roamed.

Darn, I was hoping it stood for Center Folder.

How did you pick your geo-name? Does it have special meaning to you?

Here's something interesting about SMOKEY:

Smokey Bear (never Smokey "the" Bear) first appeared in August 1944 in a poster drawn for the US Forest Service campaign by Albert Staehle. The original Smokey had large claws and a pointy snout. Later in 1946 Rudy Wendelin, a Kansas born illustrator made Smokey's image a bit friendlier by removing his claws, and rounding out his nose.

The illustrated Smokey Bear became flesh and fur when the public fell in love with a fire-burned bear cub discovered in the aftermath of forest fire in Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico in 1950. The cub was adopted by the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. and became an immediate hit with the public.

When the original Smokey died in 1976, he was replaced by Little Smokey (who died in 1990). THE SMOKEY BEAR SHOW/ABC/1969-71, a weekend cartoon series followed Smokey as he fought for the conservation of America's forests and wilderness. Smokey's catchphrase was "Remember, only you can prevent forest fires."

In one classic commercial spot, Smokey posed as a beautiful sexy woman who asked everyone to "be extra careful" when they visit the forest. The commercial ends with Smokey pulling off his disguise and saying "If you knew it was me, would you have listened?" The Smokey Bear Historical Park located in Capitan, New Mexico (where Smokey Bear was buried) features displays about the career of Smokey as well as exhibits on fire-fighting and forestry.

Your turn!

I picked up this nickname years ago when playing LAN network video games with my friends. Jiffy refers to a Canadian company that used to make ink markers that were only sold in Canada when I was a kid. I added MR to make it sound a little more authoritative...lol. I thought this would be a different and somwhat obscure way of announcing my Canadian heritage. At the very least its not too common a nickname!

My username (bedstefader skjule) is danish for grandfather cache/hide. My rationale: I am half dane, with the other half a heinz 57. I also enjoy being a grandfather of 2 beautiful girls and early next yr. my daughter will give birth to twin boys.

I have gotten e-mails from Denmark cachers, but I can't read them, so I get my uncle to interpret for me (kind of a hassle); so choose your name wisely. Also on the many micros that abound, some cache owners insist that you only use your initials - you can see the problem there. :D

RSCAENSD has always brought a lot of questions at events and when I meet someone on the trail.

I was lucky enough to refind my wife Robin 10 years ago this week! We have actually known each other our entire lives since her folks went to high school with mine.

Her full maiden name is Robin Sue Carrie Ann Ecker and her family resides in Florida. I moved her to San Diego in 1997. At that time she had vanity plates FL that said RSCAE. So now that she is in Dago it just turned into RSCAENSD. It has been my handle for email and user name for just about anything we do online. I pronounce it risque-n-s-d! :):D:D

<quote>RSCAENSD, that's great!</quote>

I had to drop my original handle due to a concern by my employer that I didn't agree with but understood. My old roommate and I were big practical jokers, so my new handle is...

The joke's on you Luke McGlue

By Kathie Bell

Assistant Curator, Boot Hill Museum

The first of April brings to mind the many practical jokes people play on each other this time of year. Early Dodge City residents were into physical humor as well, and it didn't take a special occasion like April Fool's Day to bring this playfulness out.

Just like the child Not Me featured in the daily cartoon, Family Circus the people of Dodge had a fictitious person they could blame all sorts of mayhem on. His name was Luke McGlue, and he was credited with a number of devious deeds individuals preferred to pass off on somebody else.

Information gleaned from Frederic Young's book, Dodge City up through a Century in Stories and Pictures reveals a few of these exploits, which range from merely annoying to downright dangerous.

For example, when a traveling cigar salesman from St. Joseph, Mo. came to Dodge City, his sales samples were stolen and his cigars ended up in the mouths of almost every man on Front Street. Who would steal his cigars and pass them around? Everyone answered the question by merely stating Luke McGlue.

In June 1877, when Rev. O.W. Wright's favorite pony disappeared, he could not be consoled. A deputy sheriff, who was part of the joke, told the Reverend that the culprit who stole his pony had been found and asked Wright whether the criminal should be shot or hanged. Momentarily, Wright struggled between the urge for revenge and his sense of Christian forgiveness. But the Reverend figured out quickly the crook was none other than Luke McGlue, and his good-natured response earned him a place with McGlue's gang of men.

Sometimes these jokes would take on a more ominous nature. Occasionally this gang would dress up and play the role of wild Indians to scare the willies out of unsuspecting tenderfoots. There was often a danger that the victims would defend themselves by shooting at these savages with real bullets.

One of former Sheriff Bat Masterson's final flings before leaving Ford County in 1880 was to join his pals in a practical joke imposed upon a Dr. Meredith who specialized in the treatment of private diseases.

Meredith had written Dodge City to find out if there was any interest in hearing a lecture on this subject. They told him a Luke McGlue would be interested in learning more about this topic.

The Lady Gay dance hall was reserved for this special occasion. The good doctor expected to give a short talk followed by medical examinations for those who required them.

Before Dr. Meredith could finish his opening remarks, a shouting match involving Masterson and other McGlues in the audience ensued. The doctor was dragged from the podium. Soon after there was a crash, all the lamps went out at once, and a noisy and raucous shoot-out commenced. When it was over all the participants had all vanished from the hall except Dr. Meredith who was cowering under the speaker's stand with a bullet hole in the crown of his hat.

So, next time somebody plays a joke on you, remember how much worse it could be, and thank your lucky stars Luke McGlue no longer walks the streets of Dodge City.

My caching name comes from my career. I have been in the US Air Force for 18 years and work on fighter aircraft weapons systems. I have loaded bombs and missiles, ammo and counter measures my entire career. That explains the Bomber. My Specialty Code used to be 462x0 and I will be a 462 for ever. That covers the 462 portion. The Mad part comes from my attitude. When I am mad, everyone in the shop knows it b/c I am loud (if you have met me, you already know this). So, Madbomber462 was born long before geocaching and has and will forever be linked to me!!!

I live in Sonora, California and chose this handle as a word play on "Noah's Ark" I used to leave a pair of toy animals in every cache container I found. I log in with a special rubber stamp I had made with a picture of the ark with several pairs of animals on board. Now several local cachers simply refer to me as "The Zark"

We're The Hosta Hillbillys because of our Hosta garden (Hosta Hills by name because she wouldn't let me call it Hillbilly Hostas). The original definition ever published in a dictionary for hillbilly was "A Northern Michigan potato farmer". I never followed the etymology to find how it was transverted to Appalachia, but there it is: we live right in the heart of the originally defined 'hillbilly' country, so between the garden type and location, we are The Hosta Hillbillys . . . :huh:

I get questioned a lot about what Shmily means (pronounced Sh-mill-ee). Some folks associate it with and pronounce it like "smiley". It is actually the name of my basset hound who sometimes caches with me. She was a gift from my husband for Valentine's Day two years ago and her name is an acronymn for "See How Much I Love You". She's a sweetie and will be featured prominently when we're able to mint our first personal geocoin... :huh: