Tell Us About Your Handle...

SM0KEY

I have been involved with motocross for many years. First when I raced while I was young, then now with my sons and grandsons racing with me. Being that involved, I started helping to put on races. The thing that I do most often is run the starting gate. In fact, I ran the starts for the Wild West Series for eight years. During that time, my friend from Scott USA (goggle company) started calling me Starter Bob (his name is Bob too and we raced together). Before long, all the racers were calling me that. Guess it just stuck. At least it doesn't have a negative meaning like many nicknames. :laughing:

Edited by Starter Bob

Well I am writing this response for my husband who does not visit the forums. His handle is FEEFEELERRIDER. How did he get this handle, you ask. Well when he wanted a screen name, we went through the list. Nothing really pleased him. My 3 year old daughter has never been able to say 4 wheeler, instead she says I wanna go feefeller riding. We ride alot here in Mississippi. So there you go, that is how he came about the handle feefeelerrider. (4 wheeler rider).

I was given the name Walter after my dad's name Walter. You can't have two names in the same house so they called me Wally. A few years later (62'-63') they make a cartoon called Wallygator. It's about an alligator in a zoo thats always out learning about the world around him.

WallyGator1256.jpg

So its stuck for my whole life. CB handle, licenses plates, log ins, screen names etc..

Mine was given to me in the early 80's. I worked in technical support for Safeway Stores which was headquarted in Oakland at that time. Our Data Center Manager in Dallas was always giving names to people who called him. Anyhow, my first name is Warren and I left a voice mail and said, 'Paul, this is Warren out in Oakland, please give me a call'. He called back and said, 'I need to talk to Wornout'. I said, 'This is Warren', and he said he had a voice mail from a guy named 'wornout'. It stuck. A couple of days later our system programmer was giving us logon ID's for the computer. Yep, Safeway was gonna allow remote access to the computer systems. (it was the early 80's remember?), He wanted the typical 4 - 8 letters or numbers, so, I gave him, 'wornout'. And as they say, the rest is history.

I have always used my middle initial (R.) when signing my name. When I've been asked what the R stands for, I've replied "Rat" and have gone by the nickname "JackRat". When I started this hobby I found out there was already a "JackRat and the Brain."

When I went to find my first cache, my wife went with me and who should have logged in just before we got there?? Yup, JackRat and the Brain. My wife thought I had been there earlier with so one else and wanted to know who the "Brain" was. I told her it must be another JackRat and I got an icy "Yeah, SURE, like there's another JackRat!" Anyway, we got that cleared up and since my old nickname was already in use, since my wife still considered me a "Rat!", and since we live in the High Sierras I took the handle "Sierra Rat."

How did you pick your geo-name? Does it have special meaning to you?

Here's something interesting about SMOKEY:

Smokey Bear (never Smokey "the" Bear) first appeared in August 1944 in a poster drawn for the US Forest Service campaign by Albert Staehle. The original Smokey had large claws and a pointy snout. Later in 1946 Rudy Wendelin, a Kansas born illustrator made Smokey's image a bit friendlier by removing his claws, and rounding out his nose.

The illustrated Smokey Bear became flesh and fur when the public fell in love with a fire-burned bear cub discovered in the aftermath of forest fire in Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico in 1950. The cub was adopted by the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. and became an immediate hit with the public.

When the original Smokey died in 1976, he was replaced by Little Smokey (who died in 1990). THE SMOKEY BEAR SHOW/ABC/1969-71, a weekend cartoon series followed Smokey as he fought for the conservation of America's forests and wilderness. Smokey's catchphrase was "Remember, only you can prevent forest fires."

In one classic commercial spot, Smokey posed as a beautiful sexy woman who asked everyone to "be extra careful" when they visit the forest. The commercial ends with Smokey pulling off his disguise and saying "If you knew it was me, would you have listened?" The Smokey Bear Historical Park located in Capitan, New Mexico (where Smokey Bear was buried) features displays about the career of Smokey as well as exhibits on fire-fighting and forestry.

Your turn!

SEPTICTANKHANK

Smokey Bear (never Smokey "the" Bear) first appeared in August 1944 in a poster drawn for the US Forest Service campaign by Albert Staehle. The original Smokey had large claws and a pointy snout. Later in 1946 Rudy Wendelin, a Kansas born illustrator made Smokey's image a bit friendlier by removing his claws, and rounding out his nose.

The illustrated Smokey Bear became flesh and fur when the public fell in love with a fire-burned bear cub discovered in the aftermath of forest fire in Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico in 1950. The cub was adopted by the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. and became an immediate hit with the public.

When the original Smokey died in 1976, he was replaced by Little Smokey (who died in 1990). THE SMOKEY BEAR SHOW/ABC/1969-71, a weekend cartoon series followed Smokey as he fought for the conservation of America's forests and wilderness. Smokey's catchphrase was "Remember, only you can prevent forest fires."

In one classic commercial spot, Smokey posed as a beautiful sexy woman who asked everyone to "be extra careful" when they visit the forest. The commercial ends with Smokey pulling off his disguise and saying "If you knew it was me, would you have listened?" The Smokey Bear Historical Park located in Capitan, New Mexico (where Smokey Bear was buried) features displays about the career of Smokey as well as exhibits on fire-fighting and forestry.

Your turn!

:laughing:

SEPTICTANKHANK

Your turn!

WELL SEPTICTANKHANK WAS A CODE NAME FOR MY HOBO NICKEL CARVING CAREER AND I JUST USE IT FOR EVERYTHING. CARVED BUFFALO NICKELS WERE DONE BY HOMELESS PEOPLE OF YESTERDAY AND STILL TODAY IM ONE OF ABOUT 20 ACTIVE CARVERS IN THE UNITED STATES. THANKS TO THE CTYANKEE9 FOR THE INTRO TO THE SPORT AND THE HELP I HAD A BIG LEARNNG CURVE .BEST EVERYONE

:laughing:

SEPTICTANKHANK

Your turn!

My name has to do with my being a bit into the industrial scene. My full alias is 'Cyclosarin the rivethead kangaroo' XD

A rivethead is someone who digs the industrial scene. I'm also quite into World War II - from both a sociological view and a historian view. I really enjoy researching it - and it most likely ties into my being industrial - though I'm not quite sure if that makes a lot of sense. A lot of my girlfriends who are into the same scene prefer to go to nightclubs - but here I am at a semi-young(?) age of 27 going around on my road bike, seeing what gross schtuff I can poke my hand into in the hopes of finding a cache. :laughing:

My handle...Good stuff I did spend a year (almost) in the San Fernando Valley area. I understand some of the "lingo".

"K4_Radar" : -Well, to begin from the tail-side: MASH and RADAR is (I guess) familiar.

I got the nickname during my military training. (If one carries a radio, wears army style eyeglases and a woolen cap, one get's that quite soon). And my "boot-camp" was at the 4th Cavallry-regiment (in sweden hence the "K"), "line-of-duty" is 'ranger-style'.

Groundspek didn't accept 'radar' alone (guess someone already has that handle).

Well mine wasn't too hard to figure out for me when I signed up, I'm a tech who works on atm machines so it became atmguy and the 775 is the area code for Nevada where I started caching. End result = atmguy775. Also I figured that if I stop working on atm machines I could change the meaning to "All terrain maniac guy 775" or something like that. :P

Work in a bio dept at a local university. We biologists have a tendency to like to put together words to make other ones. So bio being life and my constant search for it lead to biosearch. Of course it was a spur of the moment thing and the more I think about it I would probably choose something else at this point, but....

Lets see, when I was in the Army stationed in Alabama I was known as that dadgum Yankee :anicute: . So since the intoduction of the internet by Al Gore!! {from way back when, when I used to use a Commodore 64 on thier Q-Link BBS} I have always used the screen name Connecticut Yankee in some form or another. After a while of trying to use the basic CTYankee in different areas and always finding it taken :huh: , I have recently just settled on always going straight to the #9 at the end.

Edited by CTYankee9

Yep, mine is another lame ham radio callsign handle thingy deely...

The problem, though, is that I am no longer N6MHG. I had that callsign

for 22 years. Now, I'm KE6N, because it became available and I just had

to have it, seeing as how my name is Ken and all. But now I find out I can't change

my geocaching name. *sigh* Maybe TPTB will figure out how to change

a user name again and I can prevail upon their sympathies.

(Not holding any breath here.)

My "handle" is derived from my near-rabid obsession with the Back to the Future Trilogy. It comes from Part 3 specifically, the name(s) that a ravine close to Hill Valley cycles through during the course of the movie. First it was Shonash Ravine, next comes Clayton Ravine (I sometimes use this as a "middle" name), then lastly Eastwood Ravine. I have used Shonash Clayton Eastwood on a few other boards, but I usually shorten it to Shonash Eastwood.

Great topic! I enjoy all the different names people come up w/!

When we moved from Johnstonville to Susanville, CA., It was all of 12 miles, but to a 1st grader you can guess! My little world was never going to be the same! My Grandparents gave me a book that was a personalized story. In it were all of my friends, my pets, even the street I had lived on. The main character, besides me, was a giraffe who's name was my name backwards--pretty cool when you are little!

I never forgot that book, but the name was not used until Inet, when something unique (& simple enough that I could remember!! :) ) was needed.

My friends in Susanville still call me April J & I am now married so AprilJH and you get lirpAjh...

Fearthefish evolved from playing fantasy football years ago. My team name was The Joefish, and when I sent emails to guys in the league, I would sign off with FEAR THE FISH. Soon after I set up a separate email account so my wife wouldn't have to put up with all the smack we sent to each other. I stuck with the tag line and named my email account: fearthefish@yahoo.com.

Now, I haven't played fantasy football in years, but I have kept the email account and the name. I'm also a big San Jose Sharks hockey fan, so the name works for that as well.

Thanks for setting up this thread. I have enjoyed reading about the history behind the handles.

Joe - Fearthefish

Edited by fearthefish

um...my lack of originality, really.

a long, long...uh...pre-internet time ago, I had to come up w/ a username. 8 characters, at the time, NO CAPS, no d1g1ts...yeah, before AOL, before security. Always been a comic book fan, so "I'm an X-Man". Some people seem disappointed to find out it has nothing to do with a sex change ("I'm an ex-man"). Go figure.

Anyway, whenever I need a username, I just pop that in, so I can actually REMEMBER it. So if you trip over another imanxman somewhere...it's probably me.

Belladonna: "Remy, when you gon' come home?"

Gambit: "Ah'm an X-Man, chere, an' I aihn nevah comin' home."

(Yeah, the quote I was thinking of, but I'd rather it was a Wolverine quote. :blink: Grrrr...*SNIKT*!)

Hello everyone. Neat stories. I've only been geocaching for about six months, but I have gone to a few events out here in California and on some hikes with other cachers. They always want to know what's the deal with my name.

If you Google "Dowbiggin" the first hit will be one of my websites. I have been researching the family name Dowbiggin for about fifteen years now, and since it is an unusual surname, I have gotten farther back with it than all my others (almost to 1500). Dowbiggin was my father's mother's maiden name. She is also the only grandparent I ever really had a relationship with, as my Granddad was pretty frail by the time I was old enough to appreciate him, and my mother's parents both died long before she came to America.

Dowbiggin the name comes from a place: a hamlet (smaller than a village) in Northern England.

Now you know.

Chuy! sent me over here. :wink:

I've used Jishin as a handle off and on for about the past seven years. It's not a super-common name, but there are other Jishins out there.

Jishin is a Japanese word that has at least two meanings, depending on what kanji you use -- self-confidence, and earthquake. (No, I'm not Japanese, I'm just geeky about language and thought it was a cool word.) I chose it for the earthquake meaning ... well, I was born and do still live in earthquake country. <_<

Well team_super_cool was originally comprised of Josana, Fred, and Jen which is me (a.k.a. Frejenjo.) The collective team is technically on hiatus, but I'm holding the fort while the other two are off and away. There isn't really an explicit reason as to why we're team super cool, except that we're more than just cool. <_<

when I relocated to Reno last year for work I needed a handle for some other forums, being a Gemini RenoGem seemed short and easy. After being in Reno for about 6 months I met a Police Officer who was interrested in learning about Geocaching. Since I'm pretty new to the area having a cop as a navigator is GREAT so I added RenoStar, from the old tin star lawman, to the profile! We make a nice team. <_<

Team Adelos:

Well, I often get asked about what ADELOS means, so here it is.

ADELOS is an ancient Greek (or is that Geek?) word meaning to conceal or to hide. It was a name I used while working on "A Treasure's Trove" book of puzzles. While working with some others on a puzzle worth $400,000+, someone mentioned geocaching.com. Once I heard what it was, I could not pass up such an interesting concept.

Sure enough, I had dozens (now hundreds) of caches near my home, so off we went. The TEAM portion of the name is contributed to my family. Of course, the kids do not come with me as much as they used to, so I am often a team of one. <_<

Now I participate when work allows, but I have managed to get a few puzzles out there for others to play with. <_<

I love reading these stories. I really like the show Lost and used to hang out in the forums over there. Actually a fellow poster in the Lost forums is what sparked my interest in geocaching, so I kept the same name LostinReno, I thought it was appropriate for both sites! Pretty boring, eh?

I just discovered this thread, and see a lot of familiar San Diego names that I couldn't figure out before.

The show LOST is also responsible for getting me into geocaching. There was an online game in season 2 of the show which at one point had a link to a picture that included a Travel Bug on it. Someone in the LOST forums explained what it was, I did some research, and as soon as I found out about geocaching I was hooked. So the Lost part of my name is a nod to the show, as well as a situation I often fnd myself in.

The Clan part is because I am Scottish (although I've lived in the US for over 20 years now), and I mistakenly thought my husband and sons would enjoy caching also. Sometimes a part of the Clan can be coerced to come along, but mostly it's just me.

Been caching since 2002 but just now getting to the forums. :laughing:

Knight = Law Enforcement

Night = worked 16 years on graveyards

plus the play on words for NightKnight (Night Night)

That's all...

(Hubby just started counting his finds recently...since he's retired from law enforcement he's a day person now. Sooo, he's DayKnight - day/night) :anitongue:

My favorite radio station in the Orange County area of Los Angeles is KWVE 107.9 fm. I would listen to this station all the time while driving my big rig for UPS. Occasionally I would need to turn the radio down so tht I could answer a CB call thus the name "Kwver" became my handle.