Tell Us About Your Handle...

SM0KEY

Mine is pretty lame as I was lacking creativity the day I started caching...I started off as "Sanruft", which is my last name spelled backwards with my first initial at the end and recently changed it to "TeamSanruft" as it seems my family is now with me for the majority of the caches. :antenna:

A family friend in Vermont gives nicknames to everybody he meets. Some are very creative, but others are just a very drawn out pronunciation of the real name...thus Jodi became Jahoadi. PCWoody introduced me to geocaching and in a hurry to create a handle I chose Jahoadi. John of course was added when I realized this is a team sport and it's more fun when he comes with me. John's nickname from the same friend is Jawaaan, but we didn't want to change it too many times.....plus that's a lot to write in some logs...maybe we'll change it someday.

Check out my avatar.  At the first cache I ever did, I was with the SD Rowdies (Harmon and Company), we found the sucker, then spread out all the junk in the cache.  Harmon asked the group what we should take,,,,the rest is history.

I remember it well. It happened on the western flank of Mt. Shasta. Her actual words really were "Duh! take the money." That's when I coined her nickname; pun intended. About ten minutes later I launched my breakfast all over the shoulder of the road. I'm not sure why.

Edited by SD Rowdies

We had a sign up on our driveway with our last name on it - so people could find our house. We had some cousins over one day, and one cousin said, "Bones ten!? What's that?" We all had a good laugh.

So a long time ago, when I got my first email address, I used bones10. Online, I'm usually some form of bones10 or just bones. 'bones' is usually already taken, though.

- bones

When my husband first started geocaching, sometimes he would let me sign the log. I would put "Switchdoc and his wife". When I decided to make my handle, he and our geocaching friend thought "The Wife" was better than what I usually put.

Also, it isn't the rare occassion that he says "Hey, Wife".

-The Wife

My handle used to be Cmptrdewd. I've had since I was like 8 years old when I had made my first e-mail address. My dad's was cmptrguy (cmptr=computer without vowels) I couldn't think of anything so my dad said cmptrdude, but it was taken so a little play on dude made dewd! I used cmptrdewd for everything until about a month ago.

I have been playing counter-strike for a while and I wanted a new handle that people could read and understand and that was unique. My favorite pet has to be the chinchilla! I have the best friendship with Cosette our chinchilla than anyone else in the house and I always loved the chinchilla's personality. Few words that describe a chinchilla: intelligent, agile, cunning, silent, social, quick, sneaky. If you have a chinchilla run around your house, you'll know what I mean. Chinchilla_man was unique and appropriate for CS. I just decided to carry it over to geocaching since I like it better. :)

For some still unknown reason, when I were a lad my brother started calling me Boggis (pronounced 'bog' (as in marsh) - 'iss', not 'boe-guss' (as in fake)). Then when I got my Ph.D. I became Dr. Boggis! Simple really.

And if any of you know of the book "Fantastic Mr. Fox", where there are three farmers; no, I'm not fat!

Brian of Team A.I. introduced me to Geocaching way back in September of 2001. We hit a few caches together, but since I didn't have a GPS, he did was able to do more with out me. We started an account and logged our finds together, but when I got my GPS, I was finding caches he wasn't and he didn't want to put them under his account. I created my own account and we went by our online nicknames of Addikt and Insomniak. While hiking through the desert one morning we got to talking about forming a team to reflect that we did alot of caches as a team. As we started throwing names around. I thought of taking the initals of our nicknames to use as the team name. Team A.I. was kind of natural considering how much we are both into computers and the fact that we worked making computer chips for a number of years... and that A.I. is commonly known as artificial intelligence in the computer industry.

Later I pointed out to Brian that the initials of our nicknames were one letter alphabetically infront of our given names. If you who don't know, this is the same relationship that the letters HAL and IBM have in common... from 2001: A Spacy Odyssey. We both got a kick out of that and the name stayed.

The Steven Spielberg movie Artificial Intelligence: AI came out after our team name and for a while some people mistakenly connected the movie with our team name.

When I was about 10 or 11, I started babysitting the neighbor kids. They were two & three year olds and couldn't quite say the "L" in my name Laurie. It came out more like 'Aurree - kinda sounded like "Oreo." About that time CBs were all the rage and my Dad was practicing for his ham radio licence -.-. --.- He had all the radios set up, so I chose "Oreo" as my handle and had a great time on the CB for a while.

I've been Oreo on other forums with a big red horse as an avatar. But when signing up here, Oreo didn't seem descriptive enough. Since I've had at least 15 horses beginning when I was 5 years old, I added a black and white Paint horse as my avatar - thus I am... Oreo Pony (OP or L'Oreo for short.)

We are taskmasters, or so our students tell us. When we were starting back in summer of 2002, we thought about a lot of different titles, but this one seemed to capture who we are the best. There are six of us, so for some sports, we could form our own team; thus, we are Team Taskmaster. We're the kind of parents who drag their kids around UCSD for hours straight until midnight to complete Wizard's Chess. "There's no resting in geocaching!"

The King and Queen part is for the parents, and the Juniors are generally identified by their characteristics: Matthew is the tallest camper, a reference to the story "Tajar," if anyone knows that. [He's taller than I am now and bound to overtake the King soon!]; Jordan is the girliest or nerdiest, as she is the only girl Junior and quite a nerdette; Charlie is the loudest because he has NO volume control; and Brando is the littlest Taskmaster because...well, he is the littlest, but everytime he lags behind, he explains that we all have long legs and he is the littlest. We've even named my dark grey Quest The Tank and the King's Expedition is The Beast. Someone stop us before we name our GPSr!

Someone stop us before we name our GPSr!

I was about to make a snide comment...

...and then I realized that we have named our GPSrs. (People who live in glass houses...)

The first one was "Irma". Irma is a StreetPilot 2610. "Irma" stands for Invisible Route Management Assistant. The next GPSr to come along was a 60CS. Since it also has turn-by-turn routing, it became "Irma Jr." Then we won an Etrex in the Jeep contest. It's a cute little thing and since it can also do turn-by-turn routing, it became "Irmette".

Gee, so many creative people here...

Mine's pretty droll.

When I started caching, I was working part time at the church we attend. Yep, you guessed it, Cornerstone Community Church.

So that's where that came from. Now many people have asked me if there were actually 3 other Cornerstones before me. I don't know, I've never checked. The truth of the matter is, I was slightly delusional when I first logged on. When I signed up, I actually believed my wife and 2 kids would be just as into this as I was. :o Those of you that know me well, know just how wrong I was in that assumption! :)

Oh well, live and learn...

Living in Rancho Bernardo and enjoying this hobby as a family more often than not, "RB Family" seemed to make sense. Besides, when we set up our GC account, wit and cleverness were no where to be found. Oh well, it works for now. But if we move... :P not sure what we'll choose. The Kokopele is just something we like too, so it went into the logo and avatar.

Nice thread idea.

I had to change it when the SO wanted to cache, but the avatar is the clue.

- Most respectable Top Gun character played by an awesome screenactor

- Relatively unpopular solid-point, hyper velocity cartridge chambered for the 22LR

edit: I can't remember which one, I think the first.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

There are several sources for my handle. First off, I have always admired the coyote and its ability to survive no matter what mankind may throw at it. Although I am not a "Native American", I consider the coyote my totem animal and I am an avid collector of coyotes. Second was the book "Don Coyote" by Dayton O. Hyde. Lastly was the short-lived Hanna-Barbera cartoon series and its play on Don Quixote de la Mancha. Besides it sounds a lot better than Wile E. Coyote.

E-Chick was given to Marla as a nickname to her first screenname "Esplendidoschick", which was very long to type. It comes from the type of cigar she first enjoyed...an I.S.O.M. Cohiba Esplendios. It is the name she uses on all boards.

Mf-Referman is a combination of Michael's initials (M.F.) and his type of employment. Michael is a self-employed commercial refrigeration contractor...thus "Referman"...not the other type of reefer! It is the name he uses on all boards.

E-Chick was given to Marla as a nickname to her first screenname "Esplendidoschick", which was very long to type. It comes from the type of cigar she first enjoyed...an I.S.O.M. Cohiba Esplendios. It is the name she uses on all boards.

Mf-Referman is a combination of Michael's initials (M.F.) and his type of employment. Michael is a self-employed commercial refrigeration contractor...thus "Referman"...not the other type of reefer! It is the name he uses on all boards.

Good clarification.

I was thinking E-Chick was a hardcore raver-type with lots of pills, and Mf was a big mother-f'n pothead.

Shows you how prejudicial my mind is.

I am just getting started so I have only been on one lil adventure. My name Dicechick comes from my last career. I dealt craps (dice) for 14 years here in Vegas...hence the name Dicechick. I am now a police dispatcher but I have only been doing that for three years. I guess I could "b" *itchpatcherLV? Dunno. Haha. Think I will just keep Dicechick since it has been part of my life/email/eBay for so long. If you ever see Border Collie Mom - that is my sis, Diana!

Peace & happy hunting,

Dice

We are Tank Gurl and Curious Dan, our names come from:

Tank Gurl: When playing Halo, yes I'm also a Halo game player, I like the Tanks, and I'm female, so Tank Gurl was born, plus I'm probably one of the few who will admit to it, but I like the movie with Lori Petty playing Tank Gurl.

Curious Dan: comes from Dans favourite animal being a monkey, and he is a curious person. Also curious george was one of his favorite characters. Hense, Curious Dan was born.

well, my handle involves a little story.....

I used to work in a "cubicle" environment at a major company in San Jose, CA. (I no longer work in a cube, but still work for the same company. Now I work from home!) As a stress reliever we used to play the computer game "Quake" at work for about 30 to 45 mins every day. My name then was some nerdy computer name dealing with Linux and Unix that I won't bore you with. I got particulary good at this game we play. In the game we would all log in and shoot eath other! what a blast.

One session I happened to get many successive "kills" against a buddy who happened to sit in the cube next to me. After he became frustrated that I kept killing him (in the game) he shouted in frustration "Stop shooting me, you Poo Poo Head!" This cracked me up and I changed my name in that game to "PooPooHead" to further frustrate him. It turned out that all my coworkers really hated being beat by someone known as "PooPooHead" so I decided to keep the name.

I started to use it online for various sites and some sites would not let me use it because of built in "bad word" filters. I guess "Poo Poo" is a bad word? (Don't tell that to my 2 year old!). So I changed it to "PuPuHead" and it stuck.

I also found that some people are uncomfortable saying "PuPuHead" out loud.. so if you are one of those people you can call me "Steve"!

How did you pick your geo-name? Does it have special meaning to you?

Here's something interesting about SMOKEY:

Smokey Bear (never Smokey "the" Bear) first appeared in August 1944 in a poster drawn for the US Forest Service campaign by Albert Staehle. The original Smokey had large claws and a pointy snout. Later in 1946 Rudy Wendelin, a Kansas born illustrator made Smokey's image a bit friendlier by removing his claws, and rounding out his nose.

The illustrated Smokey Bear became flesh and fur when the public fell in love with a fire-burned bear cub discovered in the aftermath of forest fire in Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico in 1950. The cub was adopted by the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. and became an immediate hit with the public.

When the original Smokey died in 1976, he was replaced by Little Smokey (who died in 1990). THE SMOKEY BEAR SHOW/ABC/1969-71, a weekend cartoon series followed Smokey as he fought for the conservation of America's forests and wilderness. Smokey's catchphrase was "Remember, only you can prevent forest fires."

In one classic commercial spot, Smokey posed as a beautiful sexy woman who asked everyone to "be extra careful" when they visit the forest. The commercial ends with Smokey pulling off his disguise and saying "If you knew it was me, would you have listened?" The Smokey Bear Historical Park located in Capitan, New Mexico (where Smokey Bear was buried) features displays about the career of Smokey as well as exhibits on fire-fighting and forestry.

Your turn!

Here's something interesting about SMOKEY:

Smokey Bear (never Smokey "the" Bear) first appeared in August 1944 in a poster drawn for the US Forest Service campaign by Albert Staehle. The original Smokey had large claws and a pointy snout. Later in 1946 Rudy Wendelin, a Kansas born illustrator made Smokey's image a bit friendlier by removing his claws, and rounding out his nose.

The illustrated Smokey Bear became flesh and fur when the public fell in love with a fire-burned bear cub discovered in the aftermath of forest fire in Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico in 1950. The cub was adopted by the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. and became an immediate hit with the public.

When the original Smokey died in 1976, he was replaced by Little Smokey (who died in 1990). THE SMOKEY BEAR SHOW/ABC/1969-71, a weekend cartoon series followed Smokey as he fought for the conservation of America's forests and wilderness. Smokey's catchphrase was "Remember, only you can prevent forest fires."

In one classic commercial spot, Smokey posed as a beautiful sexy woman who asked everyone to "be extra careful" when they visit the forest. The commercial ends with Smokey pulling off his disguise and saying "If you knew it was me, would you have listened?" The Smokey Bear Historical Park located in Capitan, New Mexico (where Smokey Bear was buried) features displays about the career of Smokey as well as exhibits on fire-fighting and forestry.

Your turn!

Since the day I first heard "Deacon Blues" on the radio (I was 16 at the time) it's been my favorite song. I'm now 45 and use variations of that title for many things. My wife has instructions to play it at my funeral.

In January I bought my first "sports car", a 2000 BMW Z3, so DconBlueZ seemed like a natural.

This is the day

Of the expanding man

That shape is my shade

There where I used to stand

It seems like only yesterday

I gazed through the glass

At ramblers

Wild gamblers

That's all in the past

You call me a fool

You say it's a crazy scheme

This one's for real

I already bought the dream

So useless to ask me why

Throw a kiss and say goodbye

I'll make it this time

I'm ready to cross that fine line

CHORUS:

I'll learn to work the saxophone

I'll play just what I feel

Drink Scotch whisky all night long

And die behind the wheel

They got a name for the winners in the world

I want a name when I lose

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide

Call me Deacon Blues

My back to the wall

A victim of laughing chance

This is for me

The essence of true romance

Sharing the things we know and love

With those of my kind

Libations

Sensations

That stagger the mind

I crawl like a viper

Through these suburban streets

Make love to these women

Languid and bittersweet

I'll rise when the sun goes down

Cover every game in town

A world of my own

I'll make it my home sweet home

CHORUS

This is the night

Of the expanding the man

I take one last drag

As I approach the stand

I cried when I wrote this song

Sue me if I play too long

This brother is free

I'll be what I want to be

CHORUS

Mike/DconBlueZ

I've written a few short stories where the main character is an intelligent orc with good intentions named Azkul. An orc is an ugly monster that is usually really dumb and warlike, but with the aid of a magical crown, Azkul has been able to get beyond his heritage and make a destiny for himself. Azkul's adventures can be read at my scifi/fantasy site: http://www.desertrealm.com - specifically in the forum.

Thanks,

Brian (Azkul)

Nature & Landscape photo gallery - http://www.thelensflare.com

Let's see....It all started with trying to get back at the DMV when I applied for a personal lic. plate and they denied me. I asked for "biatchy", which means bitchy. Have you ever heard bitch said like biotch? If you watch MTV or see the videos you probably have. It's just a little twist on saying the word. You have to put down a meaning for your plate and I put, "My personality". Well they told me no and it might affend people. Who, other bitches? So then the war was on. I applied for "biatchn", which means bitching, not the cowabunga bitchen word. The meaning I put this time was, "The double chin I have" (bi at chin) and they took it and I won!!!! So there is the long story. I just like to bitch a lot and it fits me.

We used to have a boat and we thought and thought of a name for it...finally came up with 'Wet Paws" ...which could have also been "Wet Pause", but since we had cats at the time and took them to the boat (and they fell in a few times) WetPaws stuck. Although we sold the boat, we loved the name.

Now we have a great water Geo-Pup Maggie who goes everywhere with us...She is a true "WetPaws" and is a great Therapy Dog to Seniors as well. Magsters thinks she is a cat since she lives with 4 of them :P

She has found some caches I couldn't find! Really! :anibad:

Mine isn't just a geo-name but a nick in general. I've been using "kyoteh" for many years now and actually respond to Ky in person at this point. :ninja: Kyoteh is just a funny spelling for coyote and is different enough it's generally not taken when I sign up some place.

Why coyote/Kyoteh? Love the creature in general. They're survivors and very adaptable. Both traits I admire and try to achieve myself. And I love canines in general be it domestic dog, wolves, coyotes.... Combine that with me feeling at home when out in the mountains or the desert and, well, it stuck! There's other more personal reasons but this explains most of it! :drama:

Air Bug- I own a Heating and Air Conditiong company and we decided to expand our buisness into duct cleaning. I wanted to run it separate from our HVAC company so we needed a name for the duct cleaning buisness. While hiking with my family, my wife called to our youngest (named Aaron) and said "come on air-bug" and that rang a bell. I told her that should be the name of our duct cleaning buisness. She protested because that was the pet name of "her baby". She eventually relented. So now we own a conpany called "Air Bug Cooling, Heating and Duct Cleaning"

So our handel is "Air Bug" :cry: