Tell Us About Your Handle...

SM0KEY

How did you pick your geo-name? Does it have special meaning to you?

Here's something interesting about SMOKEY:

Smokey Bear (never Smokey "the" Bear) first appeared in August 1944 in a poster drawn for the US Forest Service campaign by Albert Staehle. The original Smokey had large claws and a pointy snout. Later in 1946 Rudy Wendelin, a Kansas born illustrator made Smokey's image a bit friendlier by removing his claws, and rounding out his nose.

The illustrated Smokey Bear became flesh and fur when the public fell in love with a fire-burned bear cub discovered in the aftermath of forest fire in Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico in 1950. The cub was adopted by the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. and became an immediate hit with the public.

When the original Smokey died in 1976, he was replaced by Little Smokey (who died in 1990). THE SMOKEY BEAR SHOW/ABC/1969-71, a weekend cartoon series followed Smokey as he fought for the conservation of America's forests and wilderness. Smokey's catchphrase was "Remember, only you can prevent forest fires."

In one classic commercial spot, Smokey posed as a beautiful sexy woman who asked everyone to "be extra careful" when they visit the forest. The commercial ends with Smokey pulling off his disguise and saying "If you knew it was me, would you have listened?" The Smokey Bear Historical Park located in Capitan, New Mexico (where Smokey Bear was buried) features displays about the career of Smokey as well as exhibits on fire-fighting and forestry.

Your turn!

How did you pick your geo-name? Does it have special meaning to you?

I used to have several horses. Although my favorite horse was always the one I was riding at the time, there was one special horse, an often goofy, puppy-like, smooth-gaited Paso Fino, whose name was Mirage.

Miragee.jpg

My pet name for him was Miragee.

When I signed up on eBay several years ago, I was browsing the horse tack, so a "horse-related" username is what I used.

When I first signed up on GC.com, I picked the word 'idiosyncratic' (because it fits me) :D for my username. In August, I changed my user name to Miragee because that was the online name I had used for so long and was more comfortable with. :D

Although there are some people :D who miss the other name . . .

Congratulations to Miragee on 1000 but I'll just bet that Idiosyncratic helped you with some of those.  Gosh I miss her.

:D:P:D

In Buddhism, (any Buddhists, please forgive this overly simple explanation) they speak of the Ten Fetters, which are things that bind us to this world. These bonds must be broken in order to attain enlightenment. The 4th fetter is Kama Raga, or attachment to sensuous pleasure. When I learned this, the following came to mind:

Sight: ~There are a number of coastal views along Highway 101 in Humboldt County that come upon you suddenly and unexpectedly, and when they do, they take your breath away! I have often stopped to drink in the views and, almost without exception, the lyrics to “How Great Thou Art” come to my mind! ~A similar experience can be had in NJ, heading west on Rt. 80, as you approach the Delaware Water Gap at the height of the fall foliage. ~I recently experienced this exhilaration again after emerging for the first time from the tunnel into Yosemite Valley!

Smell: ~Back East, I loved the spring time. There was always one morning when suddenly, I knew it was spring---I would emerge from the house and the smell of thawed earth hit me for the first time. I’d take a deep breath and smile. ~The same response is elicited by the smell of bread baking; the scent of jasmine traveling over a soft breeze; and the fresh tingly scent of a newly pruned Eucalyptus tree!

Hearing: ~There is a soft, almost reverent quietness you experience when walking through a redwood forest. It makes each sound you hear almost sacred—the whisper of the wind moving through the uppermost branches, the call of a bird, or the screech of a mountain lion. ~The sound of a choir in an old church, or of my nephew at two years old when he threw his head back and laughed.

Taste: ~My Dad and I used to go pick strawberries together. The first taste of the first freshly-picked strawberry always made us do a little dance. He’s been gone for five years this week, and that taste always brings him back to me. ~In Eureka, there is a Japanese restaurant where they serve oysters with an incredibly delicious spicy secret sauce. I could never resist it. I once asked the owner what was in the sauce and she just laughed at me. ~And what about fresh, warm sourdough bread, and that soft grittiness on your tongue of a perfectly ripened pear!

Touch: ~My old cat, Zeke, has the most wonderful, soft coat. I love the feel of it, and the soft vibration of his purr when I pet him! ~My husband has a way of taking my hand—the moment I feel the warmth of his hand on mine, I believe all’s right with the world. ~The indescribable softness of your feet moving over a thick layer of duff in a redwood forest!

So, the short answer ----- I will never be a Buddhist! I think the world is full of gifts of beauty and wonder, and our senses are our connection to all that beauty and wonder! I freely admit that I savor that connection rather than see it as something to overcome. Since caching seemed to offer an opportunity to discover new opportunities to indulge in these pleasures, I decided to use Kama Raga as a handle.

(Sorry for the length of this post – but this is what happens when my husband is out of town, I don’t have a job, and my car is in the shop, and I have to wait for a call :P

Silver Horde is the name given to a gang of extremely old Barbarian heroes led by Cohen the Barbarian. Barbarian heroes usually go around killing mad priests, stealing the riches of hidden temples, rescueing maidens, and so on, and then spend the money on drinks, women, horses, or just the expensive lifestyle in Ankh-Morpork. Barbarian heroes tend to get rich quickly and then run out of money quickly. One day, Cohen decided to gather a few old Barbarian heroes to invade Hunghung, the capital city of Agatean Empire, for a last grand theft, a retirement score to provide for the last years of their lives.

The phrase "rich in years" is much more than a euphemism in describing the old age for these Barbarian heroes. Each of these old men has decades of experience in fighting and staying alive.

From About Discworld & Pratchett Wiki

I was looking for a new name as I didn't like my original name jane8276 which was my real name and my GS troop # as I'm not a GS leader any more.

I'd just read Terry Pratchett's book Interesting Times and reached a significant birthday, so I chose Silver Horde. I have to be careful to pronounce the 'd' clearly or I get strange looks.

ttfn

Jane

My previous handle was Duscwe!

Short for:Duncan Scott Werth

But most everyone pronounced it "douche-way".

So it had to go.

Next

D!

:anibad: Thanks for answering a question I wanted to ask, Duncan... I said your old handle out loud one day trying to figure out how to pronounce it. Guilty. LOL.

On another note, I spent a little time trying to understand drexotic's name as well. I had no idea what the prefix drex or drexo would mean. I even looked it up! I thought, well, maybe it's from a novel or video game or something. It took me quite awhile to figure that one out :laughing:

Well....Tucson is my home town...the rest...DUH!

Actually, TT was not my original handle. (little known fact). I was asked by Admin to change my handle. Certain words (vis a vis Carlin's 7 dirty words you can't say on the air) are filtered out. Usually because they stand alone as seperate words. So GC.com won't let you have them in you handle, however if you scrunch them together.....

I used to play NTN trivia a lot, and I always used the handle "Crackwhore" when playing. When I'd win the game, I'd loving hearing, "....that darned Crackwhore!!!" emanating from the audience.

So for my first 10 logs, I was "Crackwhore".

I'm sure some still feel that was a better name for me. :P

--TT--

We don't do a lot of caching in San Diego as we live just north of north county but I have been lurking around recently so I thought I'd chime in. "Trovamo" means "we find" in Italian.

If Mr. Trovamo starts working in Escondido again or as our radius expands, you may be seeing our name more often.

Frank

You can guess mine I am sure......well the smilinglady part......the 13 is the day of my birth.......I received this name when I first signed onto email.......I wanted a catchy name but couldnt think of one until my niece (4 years old at the time) said.....Nannty Patty you are always smiling......so she gave me the name and I added the number as the first few smilinglady's were already taken.......now rest assured at about mile 24 yesterday I was not smiling.......gritting my teeth....some mistook it for a smile!!!!!!

All of our friends used to call me Splash because I 'accidently' have driven my ATV into the Gulf of Calif. as well as the Colorado River (and NO, I wasn't drinking) When we got into caching we used Splash, but that didn't include Steve, so he became the 'Man' part of the name, hence Splashman. Well, he told me that my logs were too 'girly' and he didn't want people to think he wrote that way, so I became Splashette. (and had to sign my name to the logs). We are also very water oriented and own two boats and three Seadoos and spend alot of time on the water somewhere!

Splashette.......see? :anitongue:

[Cut and paste from a similar thread located here Link]

I played a MMORPG for 3.5 years (DAoC) and the first character I made (which still exists) was named Thrak. When I needed a name in a hurry while creating my account I used the name but intended to change it right away. I never did change it though.

The name has nothing to do with King Crimson (I've been asked several times) who apparently has an album with that title. In my case it came from an episode of The Tick. My son was telling me about the dialogue and I just took part of the villain's name.

I just looked it up online and here is the dialogue:

The Tick: I've had enough chasing; it's your turn now, forest-smog!

Thrakkorzog: Thrakkorzog! Thrakkorzog! With a "K"! Boy, are you ever rude.

(Thrakkorzog's Tongue) Eat rude Brains!

The Tick: No brains today; we're only serving humble-pie, Whatchamazog!

Thrakkorzog: Listen buddy, for the last time it's...

The Tick: Four ax in a bog?

Thrakkorzog: Thrakkorzog!

The Tick: Ah, laxitive-log!

Thrakkorzog: No no no!

The Tick: Lap lands a zog?

Thrakkorzog: No!

The Tick: Four yaks and a dog?

Thrakkorzog: Thrak!

The Tick: Sapsuckafrog!

Thrakkorzog: No no no!

The Tick: Susan?

Thrakkorzog: Oh, now you're doing it on purpose; how juvenile!

I usually have a blast at my job as a Jet Mechanic so that explains my portion. The rest of the family loves to travel on my airline and since they don't pay the regular fare, the airline refers to them as Non Revenue passengers which is referred to as non-revving to fellow employees. Since we recently got into geocaching, we have looked up caches in many of the places that we have travelled. Amazing all the sights we have missed but will be sure to check out next time we go. Kind of makes vacation planning a little more interesting.

Thanks for asking :unsure:

Team Jet Blast

When I started geocaching, I decided to pick a handle that had something to do with geocaching. I had a book of Japanese vocabulary arranged by subject. So I looked in the geography section, figuring I could use the Japanese word for latitude or something like that. Right away I saw a word made up of the four characters for east, west, south, and north; meaning in every direction. So I choose that for my geocaching handle. My post on this subject on the www.socalgeocachers.com website led to the creation of this cache (GCJDJ9)

Edited by tozainamboku
I already had the plates on my truck from another hobby. N scale trains. I just thought it would be easier (and cheaper) to keep the same plates. I also figured that someone seeing my truck parked near a cache would figure out who I was. :o

Uh-oh, it's the train guys, N-Scaler, Clari-netacache, and Baldy of Baldy & Goldilocks fame.

It's actually the name of our farm. I've told the story before in the forums so I won't bore everyone again. What cracks me up is everyone gets the 'Green' ok but they follow that up to make me sound like one of Robin Hoods men. It 'Achers' as in all the aches and pains in my back, not 'Archers' which is someone that launches arrows. Don't make me play the Green Acres song to make my name stick in your head. [Ops. You've now all got the song playing any way]. ;)

My user name comes from my dads fishing boat. All summer and every

summer my dad and I would spend countless hours and days fishing

for Salmon and Snapper off the coast of a Northern California

town called Trinidad. The name of that boat...."Green Dolphin".

There is a lot more to it than that, but that is the basic reason

for the name.

Hi All.....I'm brand new to this forum and geocaching......in fact won't be doing any caching until after Christmas. My wife Jean is getting a GPS as a gift. We're RVers, mountain bikers (well we used to be.....I'm pushing 70 yrs now and not quite as active), hikers, etc.

I'm a retired arborist.....tree surgeon, tree worker, tree trimmer.....whatever. There's a long story about the oak man and the euc man (eucalyptus trees). Basically the oak man is a refined person who dines, sips fine wine, listens to classical music and fine prunes the oak trees. A euc man swills beer in the local biker bar, eats at McD's, plays hard rock on the BIG 4WD's stereo, and knows there's no tree problem a bigger truck and/or chainsaw won't handle.

Actually I was an oak man with euc man tendencies..........

PASSINGWIND

The name and the lovely cherub artwork derive from a private bar/club located on the grounds of the Bermuda Biological Station for Research on the island of Bermuda where I worked for three years. This country is made of 138 small islands totaling a mere 21 square miles of total land with about 65,000 people thrown on top of it. The highest elevation I could find was 260 feet above sea level....no power hiking there! So what to do on 21 square miles of land some 700 miles from New York in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean? Go to the PassingWind and consume many adult beverages, watch the sailboats come into port, and complain about those crazy roundabouts.

And yes, for those of you who know me closely (Caching Widow, Baby Breeze, PWson....)....there is the frequent passing of the wind! They unfortunately have said that I've graduated to beyond Jedi status in my actions, what an honor to behold. <_<

PassingWind

5834c446-f10f-4ba4-886c-7e62c85b8ad0.jpg

Edited by PassingWind
Hi All.....I'm brand new to this forum and geocaching......in fact won't be doing any caching until after Christmas. My wife Jean is getting a GPS as a gift. We're RVers, mountain bikers (well we used to be.....I'm pushing 70 yrs now and not quite as active), hikers, etc.

I'm a retired arborist.....tree surgeon, tree worker, tree trimmer.....whatever. There's a long story about the oak man and the euc man (eucalyptus trees). Basically the oak man is a refined person who dines, sips fine wine, listens to classical music and fine prunes the oak trees. A euc man swills beer in the local biker bar, eats at McD's, plays hard rock on the BIG 4WD's stereo, and knows there's no tree problem a bigger truck and/or chainsaw won't handle.

Actually I was an oak man with euc man tendencies..........

Wow, I'm definately a euc man. Welcome to the forum.

Mines not really very hard to figure out. I'm a guy, I'm generally lost and I was born in 1951. The lost part is the one that is hard to admit. I've gone off caching in unfamilair territory and then can't figure out where I left the car or how to use the GPS to tell me where I've been. I now mark the car when I leave.

I found my very first cache with my family so I called us the "mavericks" in the sense that we wander off the beaten path. Well from about find #2 onwards I was mostly caching by myself but I left the user name alone. At some point I realized that "cks" could be condensed to "x". So there you have it.