Geocoins May Come To An End

Ladycacher

I don't want all of those icons...I want icons for caches, and coins, and TBs that I have actually found and touched...anything else is clutter.

jamie

I know, I don't care about icons of coins I have never held im my hands either. But that was just my suggestion how to solve this virtual TB problem.

But on the other hand, I don't really see the difference between if there is a Moun10bike icon with a zero next to it in my profile or if this icon is not there at all. :laughing:

Edited by Thrasher22

Just to make sure it's clear about virtual logging. This is my post in this thread regarding this topic.

Many are asking, so I'll try to clear this up once and for all. What is not allowed is the Virtual TB or Virtual Coin. By virtual we mean there is no physical bug/coin. It's still sitting home in a drawer, so it doesn't go lost, but someone passes out the number or displays it right on the page so any Tom, Dick or Harriet can log it anywhere they please, without ever having visited the cache or touched or even seen the bug/coin. Or the TB got lost, picked up, not moved, stolen, pilfered, pillaged, washed away, whatever and the owner turns it into a virtual bug, when what they should have done was send out the copy tag, or kiss that bug goodbye. Making it an invisible, non-existant thing is what we consider abuse of the system. Virtual geocoins for the sake of letting someone get another icon really isn't fair to those who get them in the honest, hard-caching manner. We do it the old fashioned way, we earn it!

Travel bugs or coins that you carry on your person and log into and out of caches to keep track of your miles are allowed. Travel bugs/coins that you carry with you to events and oh so nicely share the number with others are allowed. Leaving a number in a cache for others to write down is just silly, and ought not be allowed, they never see the item.

Edit to add: they can always make a third copy tag with the same number if they want to.

It is also good to remember that at no time has anyone from Groundspeak said it was a server issue. If I remember correctly there is a post from Jeremy that makes that point.

So worrying about server load and cost vs programming is silly.

Edited by CO Admin
It is also good to remember that at no time has anyone from Groundspeak said it was a server issue. If I remember correctly there is a post from Jeremy that makes that point.

So worrying about server load and cost vs programming is silly.

It may have been this post that caused that confusion, where Jeremy said:

However this activity can be extremely annoying for cache owners, travel bug or geocoin owners, and a drain on the web site.

Hopefully the new log type will put it all to rest and make things easier on everyone.

:lol: