Ground Zero

Postman45

I'm not sure what you mean by ground zero in the town. Do you mean what this website uses as the center of the cache search?

No its not the post office location, nor is it the geographic center for those who will give those answers. I'm not sure what it really is, but neither of those is the answer.

ground zero is a big hole in the ground in lower manhattan. alternatively it is the point on the earth's surface, above which a thermo-nuclear explosion takes place. Prior to 9/11 this was the only commonly accepted definition. It has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching.

Edited by Team Cotati
ground zero is a big hole in the ground in lower manhattan. alternatively it is the point on the earth's surface, above which a thermo-nuclear explosion takes place. Prior to 9/11 this was the only commonly accepted definition. It has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching.

The naked guy is not completely correct. In geocaching, the place where you stop following the GPSr's arrow and start looking for the cache is often called 'ground zero'.

"Ground Zero" in this case is probably what is known as the "Zip Code Centroid". Usually, it is the location of the post office in the zip code in question.

However, what you are saying only applies if you do the search for nearest caches by your home's zip code. If you go into your account/profile page (this is true even for free basic members as I am one and it works), there is an option to search the nearest caches based on your actual home coords.

It can make a difference. I live about 1 1/2 miles from my zip code's post office and my nearest vs. 2nd nearest caches are reversed when I use the "home coords" option vs. just plugging in my zip code. And this is in a fairly urban area.

I hope that helped....

"Ground Zero" in this case is probably what is known as the "Zip Code Centroid".  Usually, it is the location of the post office in the zip code in question.

GC does not use the post office location for their "ground zero" when searching for caches in a specific ZIP code.

There are two ways to find out where it is, with one even getting you the lat/lon.

(Edit for spelling)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs
There are two ways to find out where it is, with one even getting you the lat/lon.

I'm not sure if this is one of them, but

(this is encrypted because some may consider it a spoiler):

Vs lbh ner cngvrag, lbh pna chyy hc n mvcpbqr onfrq frnepu naq gura ivrj gur fbhepr bs gung cntr; vs lbh'er yvxr zr naq qba'g haqrefgnaq nyy gung ugzy fghss, vg znl or grqvbhf. :D:P

Dictionary.com

ground zero - The starting point or most basic level: My client didn't like my preliminary designs, so I returned to ground zero.

Ground Zero, indicating a starting point, certainly does have to do with geocaching.

The fascinating thing about the english language is that it's a living language, and a usage is wrong only until enough people accept it as right.

The naked guy is not completely correct. In geocaching, the place where you stop following the GPSr's arrow and start looking for the cache is often called 'ground zero'.

The naked guy is quite correct. Simply because some group of individuals decide to coopt a word for their own purposes does not in any way affect the "commonly accepted" definition and understanding of said word. Some day, when seeking a cache in a public area, walk up to someone and tell them that you are loking for 'ground zero'. Chances are that after they stop laughing, they will direct you to the nearest airport and then alert the TSA.

'Starting point'? What 'starting point'? Perfect. I'll be leaving 'ground zero' here pretty soon heading off to work. Shortly after 1700 hours today, I'll be leaving 'Ground Zero' and heading home. We are planning on later leaving 'ground zero' again and going out for dinner at the Ground Zero Cafe.

Edited by Team Cotati
Simply because some group of individuals decide to coopt a word for their own purposes does not in any way affect the "commonly accepted" definition and understanding of said word.

And that is just what happened when the NY disaster site got named "ground zero". It's a term that's been in use for decades before that happened. So that definition of the term is only one of many.

So, does that mean your both right, or both wrong? And does it make a difference.

Simply because some group of individuals decide to coopt a word for their own purposes does not in any way affect the "commonly accepted" definition and understanding of said word.

And that is just what happened when the NY disaster site got named "ground zero". It's a term that's been in use for decades before that happened. So that definition of the term is only one of many.

So, does that mean your both right, or both wrong? And does it make a difference.

It means that I am right, naturally. ;-)

So a guy is out in NYC's Central Park one day geocaching. So he walks up to your standard friendly NYC resident strolling thru the park see. He tells the friendly NYC resident that is looking for a little rubbermaid container that is located near ground zero. You following me so far? Good. So what do we think are the odds that the next words out of his friendly NYC resident's mouth will be: "oh yeah, I know where that is, you see that big rock right over there?" OR oh ok honkie youse see dats subway station right over there? Climb down those stairs and stand in the middle of the tracks....when the A Train comes by, jump on it!!!" Ground Zero.

However to be fair about it, it also means that people engaged in the activity known as geocaching can refer to the location where a geocache is believed to be residing as ground zero, the target zone, baby's crib, home plate, the location, right over there, where i found the cache, where i looked for the cache or any other term that they so desire. I would however advise against doing so in mixed company where you would be in the decided minority. People just might think that you are a little strange. ;-)

Now if you is in a crowd of fellow geocachers, well then THEY will know exactly what you mean, you mean that there is a cache in beautiful downtown Gorham NH.

aka New England's Ground Zero.

So in fact yes, it does make a difference.

Cache on Dudes!!!

Edited by Team Cotati

So far, I'm one of only two Geocachers who have visited Ground Zero at Nagasaki, and have been to Hiroshima's Ground Zero 3 times to look for caches near there. I might try to visit Los Alamos and Bikini Atoll someday, but have no plans to go underground in Nevada, China, India, Pakistan or the former USSR.

Not disagreeing with your statement, just adding a bit of my own perspective. :cute:

It means that I am right, naturally. ;-)

So a guy is out in NYC's Central Park one day geocaching. So he walks up to your standard friendly NYC resident strolling thru the park see. He tells the friendly NYC resident that is looking for a little rubbermaid container that is located near ground zero. You following me so far? Good. So what do we think are the odds that the next words out of his friendly NYC resident's mouth will be: "oh yeah, I know where that is, you see that big rock right over there?" OR oh ok honkie youse see dats subway station right over there? Climb down those stairs and stand in the middle of the tracks....when the A Train comes by, jump on it!!!" Ground Zero.

However to be fair about it, it also means that people engaged in the activity known as geocaching can refer to the location where a geocache is believed to be residing as ground zero, the target zone, baby's crib, home plate, the location, right over there, where i found the cache, where i looked for the cache or any other term that they so desire. I would however advise against doing so in mixed company where you would be in the decided minority. People just might think that you are a little strange. ;-)

Now if you is in a crowd of fellow geocachers, well then THEY will know exactly what you mean, you mean that there is a cache in beautiful downtown Gorham NH.

aka New England's Ground Zero.

So in fact yes, it does make a difference.

Cache on Dudes!!!

I'm thinking the term "muggle" must totally drive you nuts. :cute:

Distance to a cache from your home is measured to "Ground Zero" in the town the cache is hidden. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate where exact ground zero is in a given town.

Check out the hide:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f9-6f4d7e843d46

Like my cache at the center of zip code 30044?

I have three like that, and more to come.

Finding a centroid of a town is harding then finding a centroid of a zipcode