Caching Events

the butterfly effect

Send an email to the person putting the event on.

Events vary greatly. Just like anything else, really.

If this is the event, Geocaching in the Parks (GCRC99) then here's what you can propbably expect:

After a meet & greet we will go to a nearby park seeking a new cache. The coordinates will be given at the meeting. Any questions please call Deb at 419-221-1232. New & experineced cachers are welcome! Pre-registration is required by January 12th. Call 419-221-1232 to register.

Remember to dress for the weather!

Which means:

Meet & Greet = People assemble and introduce themselves to everyone else and talk a lot.

The coordinates will be given at the meeting = There's a new or temporary cache nearby that the organizer will have coordinates for. Everyone will likely go find it in a big pack.

Pre-registration is required by January 12th. = This is being put on by the Park District. They want to know how many people to expect. They might provide some beverages and snacks or have some handouts.

I may just have to swing that direction on the 14th. Even though the time is 9:30 to noon, you should get there early to meet folks. Cachers tend to organize and head out to some caches after a morning thing like this.

Edited by Bjorn74

We just hosted our first event in October and my first priority was to make sure it was a casual gathering. All of the events that I have seen posted have done pretty well at posting a "schedule" or "plan of action" as far as the event is concerned. I know that the schedule can often change, so check on the event page often. If you are wondering what to bring, I am sure the "hosters" would be more than happy to respond to an email from you. Just ask them if you are required to bring anything. You could also explain that it is your first event, and ask for a few "pointers" in advance. I do know that most events like to have something geared towards kids...whether it be a "kids" cache, or some sort of arts & crafts table. Again, I am sure if you tell them that you have a small child, and ask them if there will be anything "kid" friendly, they will be more than happy to answer for you. Another idea is to just find out when the "main" events will be taking place, and plan to stop in during that time. You are in no way required to attend all day, so, if your child gets bored you are free to leave! The only problem I have found is that the "events" are becoming more addicting than the caching itself!

edited due to brain working faster than fingers!

Edited by The Herd
We just hosted our first event in October and my first priority was to make sure it was a casual gathering. All of the events that I have seen posted have done pretty well at posting a "schedule" or "plan of action" as far as the event is concerned. I know that the schedule can often change, so check on the event page often. If you are wondering what to bring, I am sure the "hosters" would be more than happy to respond to an email from you. Just ask them if you are required to bring anything. You could also explain that it is your first event, and ask for a few "pointers" in advance. I do know that most events like to have something geared towards kids...whether it be a "kids" cache, or some sort of arts & crafts table. Again, I am sure if you tell them that you have a small child, and ask them if there will be anything "kid" friendly, they will be more than happy to answer for you. Another idea is to just find out when the "main" events will be taking place, and plan to stop in during that time. You are in no way required to attend all day, so, if your child gets bored you are free to leave! The only problem I have found is that the "events" are becoming more addicting than the caching itself!

edited due to brain working faster than fingers!

That was well-done and very FUN event.

The best part is always chatting with all the people whose gc-names you see scrawled out on cache logs. You could have a great time at an event and never find a cache.

I typically take at least one of my kids along (ages 2 thru 10). I have not had a complaint from one of them yet.

I think this event will be very much like the event she hosted last March, Goosechaser.

I think the park system provided some coffee and cookies for that event. The event is likely more geared as an introduction to locals to the sport of Geocaching.

I wouldn't bring hot dogs or other food without checking with Deb first.

Personally, I'd attend and bring your little one. You don't have to sit out the lecture but it will give you the chance to meet some of the other cachers in the area. There are some caches right in the park that you could hunt and then come back inside. I may even attend the event myself. I drove down last year from where I live here in Detroit. I enjoyed myself and got my name mentioned in a Lima News article and apparently was also on the local TV news with the group.