Two Finds And I'm Hooked!

dps782

I have been looking at doing some caches myself for a while now. I started looking into it back in May of this year. Never had the chance to get a GPSr or really expierience it myself. I finnaly went on a few caches for the first time in early November with some camping buddies. I was hooked from the start. I finnaly ordered a Garmin Vista C last week and am looking forward to doing my own caches this weekend with my wife and 3 year old.

Edited by emp41112
I have been looking at doing some caches myself for a while now. I started looking into it back in May of this year. Never had the chance to get a GPSr or really expierience it myself. I finnaly went on a few caches for the first time in early November with some camping buddies. I was hooked from the start. I finnaly ordered a Garmin Vista C last week and am looking forward to doing my own caches this weekend with my wife and 3 year old.

Your gonna love it, welcome to the madness. :)

I haven't found it addicitve, but I certainly enjoy it and look forward to trying future caches. Unfortunately, the fun I;ve had has been offset by a ton of failures the last two weeks, mostly because of the 6" of snow we have on the ground. I'm about ready to give up on wintercaching. Maybe I'll still go out and scout locations, do urban micros and such, but I have hit a handful of traditional caches and even with the hints been at a total loss. At least I can recon for spring, though!

Why should snow interfere with your caching? It just makes it a little more challenging is all.

Good point. I guess I'm actually more deterred by the negative 5 degree windchill than the snow :laughing: I just do not have the proper clothing for that. Being in Oklahoma, I would only use it about every third year.

I found my 6th cache today and I'm thrilled. I'm addicted as well. I haven't found that the snow is much of an issue yet. In fact it's quite pleasant walking in the woods without being eaten alive by the skeeters. I'm fortunate to have so many cache's close by. I hope to get to them all!

I wonder if there's a 12 step program.....maybe someone could come up with the co-ordinates! :laughing:

Abandon all hope of ever finishing all those home projects you've been thinking about. And start saving for gas money ;) .

Isnt that the total truth? The kitchen project got 75% finished then we discovered Geocaching! Thank God my wife is as hooked on it as I am.

Yeah, well, wait until you start finding the really cool cammo caches that'll leave ya with a red mark on your forehead from doing those "palm-to-forehead" smacks, not to mention the caches that leave you laughing and shaking your head. Next thing you know you'll be trying to come up with a clever idea/cammo of your very own to top it!

No...it's not an obsession. It's not. No, it isn't. NOT!

Well, ok, maybe it is...but just a little one.

I got a GPSr as a gift last week, and found out about geocaching from the manual. My daughter and I tried it out Saturday, found 3 of 6. We went back out Sunday and found 4 of 4. We'd have found more, but we had to find some large hide-a-keys and build a couple micro caches. THEN we got sidetrack by some pirate gear at a novelty store, and we started planning a bigger cache. We managed to get one micro planted, Sunday, too.

That doesn't qualify us as addicted, yet, does it? :anitongue:

My daughter mentioned this to me last winter and I thought then that it sounded like fun. Two weeks ago I went with her on a quick search for two caches, and even though we didn't find them (faulty GPS... really!), I had a fantastic time. Got my own GPS last week and went back on the weekend and found the 2 caches in mere minutes! I'm hooked!! :anitongue: The snow is going to slow me down a bit, but I already have a short list of virtuals to look for, and have my boots waterproofed and ready for some snow-kicking. Please tell me how I'm going to feed my golf addiction AND this new addiction when spring gets here!!??? Nothing will ever get done at home......

I found my 6th cache today and I'm thrilled. I'm addicted as well. I haven't found that the snow is much of an issue yet. In fact it's quite pleasant walking in the woods without being eaten alive by the skeeters. I'm fortunate to have so many cache's close by. I hope to get to them all!

I wonder if there's a 12 step program.....maybe someone could come up with the co-ordinates! :anitongue:

just come to Cincinnati

I found my 6th cache today and I'm thrilled.  I'm addicted as well.  I haven't found that the snow is much of an issue yet.  In fact it's quite pleasant walking in the woods without being eaten alive by the skeeters.  I'm fortunate to have so many cache's close by.  I hope to get to them all!

I wonder if there's a 12 step program.....maybe someone could come up with the co-ordinates!  :mad:

just come to Cincinnati

Sounds like a cool cache, 4LC!

Hmm, lets see.....enter a forum filled with people discussing <insert activity here> and ask if its addicting..... <_<

Sorry, just poking a bit of fun, no harm meant. Welcome to the game newbies, and hope you have as much fun caching (and hanging out in the forums) as I do!

mizdeeds, maybe you are counting this when you say "a short list of virtuals" but you should try during the cold and snow this month to hit all the "locationlesses" you can as well. They are going to be archived, locked and moved to Waymarking.com in January, but until then they count towards your points total and most of them can easily be done in the winter.

I wonder if there's a 12 step program.....maybe someone could come up with the co-ordinates! :blink:

Shoud we start "Cachers Annonymous"..... or don't you think anyone would show up? Nah..... they'd all be too busy caching! :blink:

Just wait until you watch a movie where the knight in shining armor saves the damsel in distress by slaying the dragon in a long and bloody battle. The knight and the damsel then begin to enjoy each other under the nearby trees, making up for years of unrequited love...and all you can think about is that that oak tree they are under would be a great place for a cache.

Why's it taken two finds? My 11yo daughter and I have 2 DNFs and only 1 found cache and we're loving it.

My 5 yr old and I found our first two yesterday. I knew by the clues and location on the simple map where they should be, so it was fun watching the gps do it's stuff.

A little later on, hubby drove a mile or two down the hwy to a third cache, and both the 5 and 11 yr old found the container. THAT's how to do it. Get really close and let the monsters do the actual digging... :anibad: Seriously though, they were jumping up and down as though we had told them we were really driving to Disneyland! (which we will be this next week - and of course we will do the puzzle/virtuals in the park...)

Took us one each I guess. Now both kids, getting out of school early today, want to spend the rest of our shrinking daylight (tut-tut, it looks like rain!) looking for more...

No, there's not a problem started here!!!

Seriously though, they were jumping up and down as though we had told them we were really driving to Disneyland! (which we will be this next week - and of course we will do the puzzle/virtuals in the park...)

Really? My daughter and I are flying down tomorrow morning. She's more excited about finding the couple of virtuals in the parks than the parks themselves, and it's been 10 years since our last visit. I guess that's a measure of her addiction level, although I suspect the Parks will become a bit more important when we're actually in them. :anibad:

At least this time she won't try and talk me out of lunch at the Crazy Horse. :anibad:

Obviously I'm new to this but after only two finds, I'm hooked!

This sport should come with the warning sticker: "MAY BE HABIT FORMING".

Hopefully I'm not the only one that finds it addictive.

Just wait, soon you will be wanting coins ans TB's and you will be checking gc.com for nearest caches every day :o Be prepared! Happy Caching!

Seriously though, they were jumping up and down as though we had told them we were really driving to Disneyland! (which we will be this next week - and of course we will do the puzzle/virtuals in the park...)

Really? My daughter and I are flying down tomorrow morning. She's more excited about finding the couple of virtuals in the parks than the parks themselves, and it's been 10 years since our last visit. I guess that's a measure of her addiction level, although I suspect the Parks will become a bit more important when we're actually in them. :huh:

At least this time she won't try and talk me out of lunch at the Crazy Horse. :o

everyone goin to Disney? :( I am going down and already got all of the virtuals printed out! Even the one at the airport :o:lol::lol:

No, it is VERY addictive  :o  I just start the end of November and I'm already up to 20 caches and have converted two coworkers. I'm seriously depressed that it is snowing and I love snow.

Why should snow interfere with your caching? It just makes it a little more challenging is all.

How about this one in the winter? Check out the first finder's log for my Dream Cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

Well, Disneyland was a bust. The 5 year old was wanting to go on all the little rides, and the 11 year old wanted to hit the coasters, and hubby (the oldest child!) was griping about all the people. It WAS busy though. There were a whole bunch of school groups, cheerleaders, some folks who were on a trip because their HS wrestling team placed...It was almost as busy as in July. <_<

I DO however, know how to use the features on the GPS now...so the next time we go (annual passholders) I will have my list of clues/descriptions printed out in a more useable format, and the individual coordinates on the GPS. Try and try again...!