The Best Way To Camo

CacheContainerSmall.jpg

This is one I recently did. It is not an ammo box; but here is what I did for the cammo, I'll addwhat I would do differently if I was doing an ammo box.

1) Sand the box very well, not light abrasions you want it really rough.

2) For an ammo box I would get some sort of primer, an automotive primer would be good; but for this tupperware one I did, nothing was needed after sanding

3) I laid down a base flat cammo green - two coats

4) Went into my yard and picked out some cool looking leaves while green got tacky

5) Moved leaves to various spots and lightly sprayed cammo brown

6) Got a new leaf and lightly sprayed some cammo black

The trick with the two secondary colors is to not get a full coat; hold farther away and at an angle.

Edited by Teamhawaii1981 & blueicyrose

I think Criminal posted a good camo technique a while back.

I think that I do it about the same way as he does. This is what I do:

I use Rustoleum's Camoflage flat spray paint in three colors, olive green, khaki, and earth brown.

First, I paint over all the writing and any surface rust with olive green. You don't have to worry about painting the entire can because the original paint is good quality. When you are done with this step, you will have a completely green can.

Next, I lay out leaves on one side of the can. Don't put too many on, or you won't get enough color on the can. I typically use branches from a 'burning bush' next to our deck, but its best to use something from the area that you wish to hide the can in.

I then spray wavy diagonal lines of khaki and earth brown.

When that is dried, I flip the can lay out the leaves on another side and paint away. I generally try to make my khaki and brown meet at the same spot where the sides intersect. This helps break up the hard corner, in my opinion.

Keep doing this until all six sides of the can have been painted.

26a30e43-0ca7-44d7-b3b9-9e40fdd5fc58.jpg

Camo duct tape is useful. I'm mean so I only cover half the box, hoping the finder will remember to place it back the right way. www.colemans.com has a huge roll of camo tape for about 10 bucks.

I too use camo duck tape sometimes, but the other ways listed above seem to work really well.

Ok, if you really want to know. Sandblast the container, sand with 220 grit paper, primer, bondo, base coat, finish coat and top coat. Well that one is at home and not in the wild. Just clean it really good and use flat paint to match the surroundings the best you can. Dont forget to cover it with a large pile of sticks :rolleyes: that is the sign of a really good hide :lol:

Camo duct tape is useful. I'm mean so I only cover half the box, hoping the finder will remember to place it back the right way. www.colemans.com has a huge roll of camo tape for about 10 bucks.

If taping an ammo box, just be sure that the cammo doesn't go all the way to the lip of the box, and doesn't interfere with closing the lid. A stray piece of tape on the lip of the lid can sometimes interfere with the rubber seal, allowing water and dampness to seep in, plus making the box difficult to close.

Hey just about anything works i just clean off the can and spray it with what ever paint i have about the house and then get some leaves and ceder branchs and a few bits if fern and lay them over it one at a time and give them a quick spray with what ever contrasting paint i have left then i spray paint a bit of fern black and press it along here and there and wahlah its done . Most green ammo cans do well by them selves but its fun decorating them :laughing:

I have spent many years studdying and meditating on seeing things and avoiding beeing seen. The primary thing that you notice when identifying an object is movement, no matter what you look like. that obviously isent a problem with a cache. second would be the outline, if someone knows they are looking for a box shaped object they will hone in on it in a heart beat so as previously said, breaking up the outline is crucial. next is color shade and color. for instance a bright green object in a darker shaded bush will stick out like a sore thumb. and all that beeing said, use paint to create teaxture, to break up the outline. and there is no single pattern to use becaus places to hide a cache will vary. so find the spot where you want it and look at it from different distances and angles, high, low, near, far. maybee even take a few pictures. decide whether the shades should be lighter or darker depending on the tarain immediately around it, make sure that wherever it is it is not put at an angle where it is not sky-lined (put with an opposing background so the shape is easily seen such as a figure on top of a hill with nothing but a blue sky behind). estimate the %age of certain colors and paint your cache acordingly (ex. you dont have a forest green base coat if you are hiding it in dry grass, or dark colors if it is in a very well lit area with mostly light colors) so yes, that is my 2-bits:movement, shape, contrast, color

Edited by Hunt