Activation Codes

Renegade Knight

If you make a coin the activation code should either come with the coin or instructions on how to obtain it should come with the coin.

The question came up in our local forms and I really had no idea which coins had activation numbers and what website to use to get them if it was web based. With the massive numbers of coins out there, this is important. It's going to get lost in all the trades if it's not with the coin.

It would be nice if the activation codes or instructions weren't too tortuous, too. I recently bought a Canadian coin. I got the activation instructions when I ordered the coin. Three weeks later, when I received the coin, I had forgotten that I had already received the instructions, what I had done with them, etc. I spent an unpleasant several hours trying to get the Canadian coin folks to help me before I stumbled across the instructions on my computer.

Activation for the European coin was not quite as bad, but it certainly would have been easier and less unpleasant if the instructions had arrived with the coin and had been simple.

I am making notes so that if/when the boss allows me to issue a coin, I make a whole new set of mistakes. :ph34r:

Where can I get the activation code for a 2006 NWPA (Northwest Pennsylvania Geocachers) coin? Previous posts have said that the code is on the sleeve. Not so with my coin. Other posts have said that geocoin club can activate it. Not so. I even sent a photo of both sides of the coin to the geocoin club and was told that it is not a coin in their system. I have contacted the person who sold me the coin on e-bay and he can't provide an activation code either. On the back of this coin it says "track this coin geocaching.com". So where do I go from here? Help!?

Edited by DogCatFxr

Theres a couple of places that coin codes can usually be retrieved..

http://coincodes.com

http://www.geocoinclub.com/code.php

http://www.oakcoins.com/activate

http://www.geocoin.net/activation/

im sure theres more, but these are where i always try.

i know some of these sites also offer products for sale, and since they sell and allow retrieval of geocaching.com trackable coins, hopefully the moderators wont have a problem with the url's being posted here.

Edited by Nero

The "Activation Code Clearinghouse" thread has pretty extensive posts on this subject. A quick search of that topic yields good results.

As someone that has made 600 trackable coins -- attaching the codes to the coin is NOT easy. The coins do not arrive in sequence and, hence, if you pre-print labels, the process would take a long time.

The best bet is to have fine folks (such as www.oakcoins.com) set you up for online retrieval. Then, you can include a little paper in each shipment that states where they can be retrieved.

Of course, this doesn't help once you trade for the coins. I still have two Deleware coins that I traded for which I do not have activation codes for ..... one day......

[quote I still have two Deleware coins that I traded for which I do not have activation codes for ..... one day......

I have just traded for A Delaware Geocoin and a Great Smoky Mountain Geoquest coins and can not find activation codes. Any hints where I might find? ;)

[quote I still have two Deleware coins that I traded for which I do not have activation codes for ..... one day......

I have just traded for A Delaware Geocoin and a Great Smoky Mountain Geoquest coins and can not find activation codes. Any hints where I might find? ;)

Delaware should be on the coin pouch, Great Smokey Mtn Geoquest is at coincodes.com :)

I have just traded for A Delaware Geocoin and a Great Smoky Mountain Geoquest coins and can not find activation codes. Any hints where I might find? :)

Delaware should be on the coin pouch, Great Smokey Mtn Geoquest is at coincodes.com ;)

Should be in pouch is hope for answer. The current answer is to contact MikeOtt52@aol.com. He made the coin and has the activation codes. :)

I have just traded for A Delaware Geocoin and a Great Smoky Mountain Geoquest coins and can not find activation codes. Any hints where I might find? :ph34r:

Delaware should be on the coin pouch, Great Smokey Mtn Geoquest is at coincodes.com :rolleyes:

Should be in pouch is hope for answer. The current answer is to contact MikeOtt52@aol.com. He made the coin and has the activation codes. :ph34r:

I could not find the icon or clickable for Great Smokey Mtn Geoquest 2006. Help please. :laughing:

Should there be a topic where this is listed? Then hopefully pinned?

A pinned topic listing ewere you can get your activation codes.

Excellent idea.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if there were a pinned thread called the "Geocoin and Trackable Minting, Geocoin Reference, Shipping, Activating, Adopting, Shopping, Courtesy, Do's & Don't Guide To Geocoins & FAQs!, The Reference Guide for Geocoins and Trackable Items" And maybe even if they added a link inside that thread called the "Activation Code Clearing House, Instructions on how to activate coins"? And then, maybe someone could make a whole reference website for everyone, we could put that in there too! And just think of all the stuff we could point people to; things like The big list of trackable coins at trackablecoins.com, How to log trackable items, The Reference page, The FAQs page, Jaybee's Geocoin Shipping Method, A Shipping Primer...., Post your coin shipping dates here, Geocoin Purchasing Conglomerates, A list for minters, Adoption Link: geocoins, bugs, caches, Trading courtesy: do's and don'ts....

Boy, that would be really cool! :lol::anibad::anicute:

Now all we need to do is get people to look there!

A frog told me that TPTB are working on hosting all the codes. Seeing as they have all the codes already that would be great. Not sure the time frame but I can't wait.

What was the idea behind the activation codes away? If I find a coin and it is not activated I can get the code. So really anyone can get a code for any coin and activate the coin. Why not have them all the same?

A frog told me that TPTB are working on hosting all the codes. Seeing as they have all the codes already that would be great. Not sure the time frame but I can't wait.

What was the idea behind the activation codes away? If I find a coin and it is not activated I can get the code. So really anyone can get a code for any coin and activate the coin. Why not have them all the same?

I absolutely agree with this, it would be so easy if they were all the same or at least the same for each new coin design instead of for each tracking number. I have gotten 6 of the same coin and had 6 different activation codes, if they can do it with Travel Bugs, why not with the coins?