Cito Day In Sc? We Need Positive Attention!

I am in the upstate of SC and, though i havent found lots of caches, I really enjoy the sport.

The SC legs. is discussing banning the sport in most areas of the state because of some misconceptions of a rep from beaufort...... none the less, I think a CITO day just for SC that draws plenty of media attention would be VERY helpful. What better way for geocachers to appear in the media than as the enviromentally friendly folks that we are?

We need to get on this very very soon!!!! Anyone have any ideas? Anyone want to help? Please contact me if you do. message me thru geocaching.com and we can try to get something going. I really can not attempt this alone.....

Thanks,

Ladysmokeater

PS when you write in support of Geocaching, stress CITO!!

i didnt mean for it to sound so political. I have wanted to hold a CITO event in the upstate for some time, but have no idea of where to start in the planning process. I just figured with the stuff going on here in SC, that it might be a big positive if we got some attention. Many of the parks I have visited both as a geocacher and as a mere muggle have been in desprate need of a clean up!!!

Maybe this should be moved to the regional forum. Its a great idea, instead of statewide politcial rally, you hold a statewide CITO rally. Wish I was closer, Philadelphia, PA is a bit of a drive

ladysmokeater,

I'll leave this up to you. If you want me to move it, I can. Just let me know.

Hi Ladysmokeater,

We are in the Piedmont of SC and have had 2 successful Cito's since December. We have a 3rd planned for Cito Day on April 22nd. We formed a subgroup of the SCGA, we are the South Carolina Piedmont Cachers. I know that in the upstate another subgroup has just formed. Try contacting FastFrank & Wanda and maybe ya'll can get a Cito going up there too. It is very easy to get one going. If you need any help, feel free to email me.

Edited by jamrasc

Take the Gallery of Photos from this cache to your local parks people. If that isn't positive, then I don't know what is! That was a HUGE effort on the part of those cachers in SC, and they turned a sorry, polluted shore and reservoir into a thing of beauty. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Maybe you can email those event cachers and ask for some tips. Find an area that is in need of a CITO, that doesn't have the funding for a full time staff, talk to the land managers, ask if they would be willing to work with you, perhaps they have trucks that could haul out the garbage or would provide a dumpster or two. Cachers can bring the food, to each his own, or all pitch in for burgers and dogs and salads and drinks. When having a CITO, it's almost better to just bring sandwiches and not spend the extra energy doing all the cooking and clean up that meal service entails, while you're hauling garbage all day. Bring hand sanitizer, and bring lots of water. And first aid kits, gloves, trash bags (the heavy duty layered paper kind are environmentally friendly and your park may provide them), a big table, chairs. Get someone who loves to show how strong their trucks/Jeeps/4WDs are to haul the heavy stuff up the hills. See if someone has a come-along. If anyone is in the sign or printing business maybe they can provide a banner for the meeting spot so the general public know what's going on. Spell out "Cache In Trash Out" and put your names on it. Publicize your good deed, call the paper, call the radio, ask the radio station to send down a DJ and broadcast from the parking area if it's a huge park, get the public to join in, so the word gets out. Maybe look/ask around and get a sponsor to donate a raffle prize or two. Garmin, Magellan, Trimble, EMS, (Jeep?) etc... Read past CITO event pages in your area or other areas, see what they did. Post it in your local forums as well as here, in the thread for posting events. Make a coin for it (that gets attention!) Post it, plan it, do it, tell everyone about it, do it again. <_<

and again, and again!