Help On A Garmin Etrex Legend

CharlieZulu

Hey folks:

Anyone have a tip for me on projecting a Waypoint on the eTrex Legend ? The field for Distance always comes up in km ( i.e. 0000.00km) and I cannot seem to change the field to accept a smaller number (such as metres). Entering a Distance such as 123m leaves you no option but to enter 0000.12km.

I've played around with the Units and Settings, etc but no luck.

Chris

My 12CX will only do that projection to the 100m as a direct entry, I use the map screen to get it down to the 10s of meters. When projecting, 1 to 9 meters is well within GPS error, I don't think it would make much of a difference between projecting 120m, 130m or 125m. This is also something I have done, project 120m and 130m, the cache is in that area somewhere, which is about the same area if I were hunting for a traditional cache at the given coords.

As far as I know, all garmin units are like this. Projection to 10 meters only.

The new generation Garmin's like the 60C(s), 76C(s), etc. have a selection of units down to 1 foot being the smallest and then reducing even further by accepting down to two decimal places. However that level of accuracy is nullified by the fact that one cannot enter fractions of a degree (compass) which if projecting long distances can cause quite an error.

Olar

As far as I know, all garmin units are like this.  Projection to 10 meters only.

The new generation Garmin's like the 60C(s), 76C(s), etc. have a selection of units down to 1 foot being the smallest and then reducing even further by accepting down to two decimal places. However that level of accuracy is nullified by the fact that one cannot enter fractions of a degree (compass) which if projecting long distances can cause quite an error.

Olar

But you can convert degrees to mils:

degees * 160 / 9 = mils

So if you need to do a projection for some decimal degrees, convert to mils and your rounding error will be much less at distance, allowing you to do more accurate projections.

So if you had to project a bearing of 98.6 degrees to 2000m the best you could do on degrees would be to project 99 degrees, giving you an error of 14m at the far end. The same projection in mils would be 1753 mils with an error in the centimetres at the far end.

Just remember to set it back when you're done :ph34r:

Edited by geoSquid