Personal Travel Bugs

Right Wing Wacko

1. Set a flag that a bug is a personal TB. When logging caches automatically drop the bug copying the cache log (or making a pointer to the original log). The bug would automatically be retreived for the next cache.

2. Like Cache Logs, only display the last five logs unless the user specifically asks for all logs. I've had to archive my original personal TB and to go a second... something I would have prefered not to do. I will soon have to do it again! After a few hundred logs... it takes FOREVER for the TB page to come up... even with Broadband. Logging from a dialup while out of town is not even possible due to the long delays.

:unsure:

here is a fun idea... save the page at a test as htlm and see how big it is. my personal TB page is like 750+K that is nearly 3/4MB

i wist a tb page would show the latest 5 logs by default.

yep it is big :) . I always delete my pick up log and I only book it into 1 cache per day spent caching so mine is not too bad.

It would be better to see it like the cache pages, with the last 5 default

I'm sorry, but personal travel bugs always look like a lot of work to me.....you log em in, out....make sure the date is right...and if you start late in the game (with a bunch of finds already) you have to go back and log them in and out of the caches you've already found.

Wouldn't it be easier for Geocaching.com to just make cachers "trackable?" The functionality is already there for the bugs, how about making it a premium feature that we can see how many miles we've personally traveled while caching?

Would this put more stress on the system or remove the stress caused by logging bugs in/out?

Bret

Edited by CYBret
I'm sorry, but personal travel bugs always look like a lot of work to me.....you log em in, out....make sure the date is right...and if you start late in the game (with a bunch of finds already) you have to go back and log them in and out of the caches you've already found.

Wouldn't it be easier for Geocaching.com to just make cachers "trackable?" The functionality is already there for the bugs, how about making it a premium feature that we can see how many miles we've personally traveled while caching?

Would this put more stress on the system or remove the stress caused by logging bugs in/out?

Bret

My thoughts exactly - personal TB's are a user attempt to add a feature that doesn't exist. No matter how much it's tweaked, it's still a work-around. Much better to add functionality to track a cacher's mileage and eliminate the need for personal TB's.

This would be easer for those who want to track their mileage and would eliminate the personal TB clutter on cache pages (e.g. duplicate logs for PTB's that are often out of sequence and add no useful information for anyone but the personal TB owner, especialy when someone decides to add a PTB after they have 200 finds. :huh: ).

GC.com already tracks a user's finds in date order, so it would seem the site overhead would be the same as viewing (or mapping) a PTB's history - it might even reduce site overhead by trading an inelegant solution for one designed for the purpose.

I'm not sure about making it a premium feature, since that would not eliminate PTB's for non-premium members (i.e. they would still clutter the cache logs).

Oh don't get me wrong I hate Personal TB's........ :huh:

People, Cars, Animals........and anything else for that matter than isn't left in the a cache but just dropped and picked up.....what is the point?

I just thought a mile logger would be a better description of what it was a personal TB was.

I would just allow a bug to be moved one cache at a time by one person and that would be the end of it once and for all. :huh:

Oh don't get me wrong I hate Personal TB's........ :huh:

<snip>

I just thought a mile logger would be a better description of what it was a personal TB was.

I agree that your idea is better than what we have now - I don't hate PTB's, just think there's a better solution for the purpose that PTB's now serve. :huh:

Oh don't get me wrong I hate Personal TB's........ :(

People, Cars, Animals........and anything else for that matter than isn't left in the a cache but just dropped and picked up.....what is the point?

I would just allow a bug to be moved one cache at a time by one person and that would be the end of it once and for all.  :(

What is a Groundspeak Travel Bug?

Simply put, a Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

My personal TB is attached to an item, I track it on gc.com, it is carried from cache to cache, and anyone on earth can follow its progress online...here

What does a Travel Bug do?

It's really up to the owner of the bug to give it whatever task they desire. Or no task at all. The fun of a travel bug is inventing new goals for the Travel Bug to achieve. One Bug's goal may be to reach a specific country, or travel to 10 countries.

I gave it a task that I desired for it...see here

The "point" is that I paid for the TB, and use it within the posted guidelines...if it seems silly or pointless to you...don't have one. B)

I don't mean to unload on anyone, but personal TBs have been mentioned along with so-called "Virtual TBs" in a number of threads lately, and while I ave no problem with VTBs going away, I would hate for PTBs to be painted with the same brush.

Have a nice weekend,

jamie

Edited by NFA
The "point" is that I paid for the TB, and use it within the posted guidelines...if it seems silly or pointless to you...don't have one. :unsure:

I don't mean to unload on anyone, but personal TBs have been mentioned along with  so-called "Virtual TBs" in a number of threads lately, and while I ave no problem with  VTBs going away, I would hate for PTBs to be painted with the same brush.

Have a nice weekend,

jamie

Jamie,

PTB's don't seem pointless to me - I get the point, and would have one myself, except for two things:

1) Maintaining a PTB seems like a lot of work, especially if you start one after you have a number of finds (which most people do) and you want to go back and update your PTB mileage.

2) I don't like superfluous logs on caches because they take up space - online, in my PDA, in print outs, etc - and add no useful information regarding the cache for the cache owner or others seeking or finding the cache. "Updating Personal TB" is the most frequent superfluous log I see - I'd like to eliminate those logs, not the PTB's (or their function for those who have them);

If gc.com automatically provided the ability to track your travels from cache to cache, including mileage, maps and public display (through your profile) without the need for a PTB, I don't see what would be lost except those superfluous logs! :D. If cachers want to carry an object around with them, post a picture of it on their profile, etc, they could do all that without PTB's.

Can you say what would be lost for you if gc.com automatically tracked your travels as if you were a PTB?