Bug: No Error/warning For Exact Coords.

I was approving some waymarks in on of my categories when I noticed that two had the exact same coordinates. It was not an error though, there were two seperate waymarks at that location in the same category. THe bug is that when I went to approve the second one, after approving the first, it didn't warn me that there was another waymark in the same category less than 1 mile away. Is there a bug that if the coordinates are exactly the same, no proximity warning is given?

--Marky

I am also concerned that there is no simple way to avoid accidently approving a duplicate waymark.

Normally, when I am approving a waymark in one of my categories, a list of all other waymarks the the category within 1 mile are listed on the approval form, making it easy to determine if there is a duplicate. However, in this instance, the exact duplicate didn't show up in the list for some reason. It should.

when there are 2 marks with the same coords that i create, i just make one mark, and mention there are 2 at the site (payphones).

I disagree about doing two wawymarks on one waymark submission. I much prefer people post seperate descriptions and information for each waymark seperately. In your example, you are kind of messing up the payphone category because you can't property enter the phone number for both phones into the waymark variables. I recently declined a '2 for 1' waymark submission on one of my categories and asked that they split it into two.

--Marky

I've come across the same issue several times when managing my Pennsylvania Historic Markers category. It's fairly common to have several historic markers right next to one another at a significant place, such as a town square. As a waymark placer, my record is five markers in a row. :unsure:

The programming issue, I think, is this: Proximity is tested against *published* waymarks in the same category, but not against other pending new waymarks. It would be nice if both active and pending waymarks would generate the proximity warning.

To guard against listing duplicates, I take a quick scan through all the new pending submissions, and if two or more look to be close together, I publish one and then come back much later to look at the next one.

The proximity thing seems to be broken completely. I have a pending Penny Smasher waymark, and I know there are at least two others, already approved, there, and also another that is 0.2 miles away. What is the proximity setting and why aren't I being shown the list of nearby waymarks in the same category? I know I've seen waymarks show up that were farther than 0.2 miles away in the past when I was approving new waymarks.

Could someone respond to this and let me know if this is a user error on my part or if it is a bug?

--Marky

One thing I noticed, that probably doesn't have anything to do with the bug, is that the waymark created had already logged a find. Maybe the code to render the find log keeps the code to render the proximity warning list from rendering. Just a WAG.

--Marky