Info Re: The Pipeline Cache Area

Muggermots

Feds approve plans to remove a dam on the Hood River

Figured I'd let the interested know. I'm actually a bit concerned about this--- I'm yet to be convinced this is going to improve anything... and may instead be detrimental to the whole area. But then, this section of the river has been a favorite place of mine since I was a toddler.

I have no idea the end result will be for the penstock and the walkway... so many locals use it that it'd be a shame to have it disappear. If they really intend to keep it open to public use, perhaps something can be done to see that it remains a thru trail to the dam. We can hope, right? Then again... if the dam is gone, would there still be the right of way through the orchards to the fishing area?

Something else I wouldn't mind seeing, though I don't know if the hillside would allow it, is to see Indian Creek trail somehow meet up with the paths below... I know it was possible at one time to go from the end of Eliot Drive clear down to the river, without it being too steep, but that's farther south then Indian Creek trail. (And that's from a time when kids didn't have to check in til dinner time, if then, and nobody cared whose property was whose... so other things then times may have changed.)

Now that would be a dam shame! B)

Hey, somebody had to say it!

Seriously, the family caching vacation we took two summers ago along the Columbia River and down through central Oregon started out JUST to go do that cache. I had wanted to do it ever since I first saw it soon after I started caching. It didn't disappoint! It definately is a destination cache and would be a shame to lose.