Frs Channel 2

gas4cache

Acording to the small print on the manual for my new FRS radios, channels 1-7 are GMRS channels. You have to have the liscense to use these channels. 8-14 are the FRS channels that do not require a liscense.

No, 1 - 7 are shared channels, you are free to use a type accepted FRS radio on those channels without a license.

Acording to the small print on the manual for my new FRS radios, channels 1-7 are GMRS channels. You have to have the liscense to use these channels. 8-14 are the FRS channels that do not require a liscense.

No, 1 - 7 are shared channels, you are free to use a type accepted FRS radio on those channels without a license.

I was speaking mainly about broadcasting over distance. The Snoogstress sells FRS radios as part of her job at REI and she is certain that any communication beyond 2 miles requires a license. Most cachers on the trail wouldn't violate this, but a shout out passing through town just might.

Not claiming to be an expert here. Can anyone support it with legislation to support or disprove her claim? ;)

Edited by Snoogans

Not claiming to be an expert here. Can anyone support it with legislation to support or disprove her claim? ;)

This is all I've ever really paid attention to on the subject. It's a little hard to follow...kinda like someone from the government might have written it.

I got a license 2 years ago. At that time it was $75 per family for a 5 year GMRS license. The license fee has since gone up to $80.00.

It's also one of the most complicated online forms I've ever had to fill out. Good luck with that.

Bret

Somehow I dont' think Uncle Sam will be out in his radio van triangulating distances waiting to lock someone up cause they talked when they were 2.5 miles apart instead of 2 miles. (That's about the farthest mine will reach.) I only live about a mile from the I-26 exit, and closer to the I as you go west. Any way, give me a yell, and you can hear me answer we're probably within 2 miles.

Ron

2 miles, eh? I wish my problem was talking beyond 2 miles!

I have 11 radios of various FRS/GMRS combinations, and not one of them will reach 2 miles! Nor even 1!

My radios:

Uniden GMR648-2CK

Uniden TR620-2

Motorola Talkabout T5200

Radio Shack GMRS/FRS 21-1917

Cobra MicroTalk PR 945 DX

BellSouth 2231

I cache with groups maybe twice a week, so these radios get used often and in all weather and terrain, and basically if I can't throw a rock and hit you, you're too far for these radios to talk to (only a minor exaggeration)!

My ham gear and license was the best communications decision - The license is $15., a decent used radio $75. and you can talk reliably for miles!

FRS/GMRS was, for me, a waste of money that I only use because more geocachers won't get a ham license.

Ed

W4AGA

The FCC rules have got to be based on a power output at the transmitter and not how far you were actually able to establish communications with a given unit at a given time and place. No one is going to come looking for you if you're somehow able to communicate over a line-of-sight distance of 2.001 miles with an unmodified FRS-only unit using the built-in antenna. If you bought a GMRS/FRS combo unit, you better know which channels you are transmitting on, whether a particular channel is GMRS or FRS or just get the GMRS license so you can use 'em all legally.

I too recommend to get a ham radio license. Then you can talk as far as you want on a much wider range of equipment, wider choice of frequencies, higher output powers and any antenna you like. There's no Morse code requirement anymore. Just study a couple hours, take the test and start yakking. The test is easy. Even five year olds have passed it. Heck even I passed it. It's a lot cheaper than a GMRS license too.

-mark

N5OLM

Edited by Hugh Jazz

The GMRS/FRS license is a joke. I'm a single guy, and I cache with my girlfriend and various other friends. Do they all need to buy an $80 license, just because they aren't related to me? Sure, a ham license is a better deal (another reason the GMRS license is a joke), but no way am I going to convince all my friends they need to get a ham license and buy ham radios. My sig line pretty much expresses my thoughts on this one.

Just quoting from the manual on my Cobra PR 150 vp:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: FCC LCENSE REQUIRED

This two-way radio operates on GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) frequencies which require an FCC (Federal Communication Commision) license. A user must be licensed prior to operating on channels 1 through 7 or 15 through 22, which comprise the GMRS channels of this radio. Serious penalties could resault for unlicensed use of GMRS channels, in violation of FCC rules, as stipulated in the Communications Act's sections 501 and 502 (amended)"

Edited by Docapi

Just quoting from the manual on my Cobra PR 150 vp:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: FCC LCENSE REQUIRED

This two-way radio operates on GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) frequencies which require an FCC (Federal Communication Commision) license. A user must be licensed prior to operating on channels 1 through 7 or 15 through 22, which comprise the GMRS channels of this radio. Serious penalties could resault for unlicensed use of GMRS channels, in violation of FCC rules, as stipulated in the Communications Act's sections 501 and 502 (amended)"

Right, to operate a GMRS radio on any frequency requires a license. You can operate an FRS radio on any FRS or shared channel* without a license.

*EDIT: This includes channels 1 - 7

Edited by Criminal

Now i'm confused.

If I understand you right, you are saying that an FRS only radio can operate on any frequency without a license. A FRS/GMRS radio can only operate on 8-14 with out a license (I assume that the power output is higher on the other channels?).

So there is no such thing as a "GMRS" channel or a "FRS" channel? The only difference is the power output of the radio?

Not trying to argue, genuinely confused. They really don't make this very clear in the manuals. That passage I quoted I almost needed a manifying glass to read.

Now i'm confused.

If I understand you right, you are saying that an FRS only radio can operate on any frequency without a license. A FRS/GMRS radio can only operate on 8-14 with out a license (I assume that the power output is higher on the other channels?).

So there is no such thing as a "GMRS" channel or a "FRS" channel? The only difference is the power output of the radio?

Not trying to argue, genuinely confused. They really don't make this very clear in the manuals. That passage I quoted I almost needed a manifying glass to read.

Try this for a start.

GMRS came first, its popularity came much later when the FCC authorized the FRS.

An FRS radio can use any [installed] frequency without a license.

A GMRS radio requires a license to use any of the GMRS frequencies. Some have a feature that lowers the output power on the FRS only frequencies. There is some overlap of frequencies between the two services.

Great article!

One question, though:

FRS shares the channel one through seven frequencies with GMRS.

If I understand right, that means that 1-7 are the channels set aside for FRS transmissions.

Now, since my radio's have channels 1-7 assigned to GMRS, and those are the shared channels, does that mean that there is no way I can talk to a straight FRS radio with my radio's without the license?

Sorry, I usually am not this slow.

You’re not slow, it’s difficult to explain. FRS has “channels" to which frequencies are assigned. GMRS does not really use channels but instead operates on assigned frequencies. Seven of those frequencies are the same as the ones FRS uses as channels one thru seven. Getting clearer? Look at it this way, on any FRS radio the channel and the freq will be the same regardless of who made it. Not so with a GMRS radio as the only thing the gubbermint assigned was the freqs. So a GMRS radio (shoddily) made by Southern Bell may not have the same GMRS channel layout as one made by Motorola. EDIT For example my Motorola Talkabout Distance radio has channels 1 thru 7 and GMRS A, B, and C. It also has a removable antenna so look for that kind on ebay if you want an inexpensive FRS/GMRS hybrid radio with the ability to add an external antenna.

Sorry, it’s tough to elucidate this baffling concept. Thank you FCC!

If you want to use your FRS/GMRS (hybrid) radio to transmit on any of the shared frequencies (which are FRS 1 thru 7) or the GMRS exclusive frequencies you need the license.

If you want to transmit on the FRS exclusive frequencies (channels 8 thru 14) you do not need a license if your radio is programmed to drop the power to one-half watt, which I think all the hybrid ones are.*

EDIT: *I’m entirely sure of this either. It has always been my understanding that if the radio was GMRS capable then you needed the license to operate it.

Edited by Criminal

1-7 are the shared channels, meaning FRS users can use them with their allowed power output (.5W), and licensed GMRS users can use the frequencies at their higher allowed power.

When some manufacturers claim that "A user must be licensed prior to operating on channels 1 through 7," it's because their particular radio is unable to lower the output power to FRS standards on the shared frequencies.

Thus, if you cannot turn your radio's output power down when using those shared frequencies (1-7), you will have to have a license before you operate on them.

Technically, anyway. Practically, who's going to know? The difference between half a Watt, and say, a full Watt is unlikely to be noticed or draw the ire of anyone in particular.

That's my opinion, anyway.

KG4ZEP

I think as long as you have the appropriate license and your radio is type accepted for that frequency, then it doesn't matter if you're lucky enough to actually transmit beyond 2mi. The regs are dictated by the license and hardware, nothing else. In other words, yes, you are allowed to transmit from the top of a mountain. ;-)

Going off on a tangent:

I looked into GMRS radios after reading about the advertised range, but when I looked for actual impressions from people who bought these radios, I found that there was very little actual improvement over typical FRS ranges. I ended up getting my ham license instead, and buying a handheld 2-meter radio for USD$99. Using my hand-held 5w radio and rubber duck antenna inside my Jeep, I was able to clearly communicate with a buddy's mobile 2-meter unit 11 km away while in the bush.

GeoBC

As far as for communications with radios is concerned, Ham Radio is the way to go. You can go to a hamfest, get a cheap 5w 2m handheld and be all set. I at one time used FRS/GMRS for communications and still do occaionally, but usually use my ham radio.

Just my though.

KB1LCV

I've never seen an FCC van, antenna or otherwise. Even if they detect it, they'd have to triangulate to find you, and by the time they do that, a geocacher is going to be long gone.

I might not openly use it at home, but I don't care about using it when i'm out caching, because I'm going to be gone long before they ever even notice. In these parts (east central indiana), you could probaly transmit 40 miles and nobody would know.

Most importantly, they can't tell the radios apart. Even if you have one on you, it would take them HOURS to get a warrant to search your backpack, and even then, if it was a well traveled area (like a state park), they can't prove it was your radio transmitting.

I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it. Y'all yell at me if you passing through the area (If you dare) and I'll yell back. Tell me what channel you on when you do as my cobra scans all of em.

To any gubment people I promise I won't talk on the channels I ain't sposed to.

To anybody else... I really don't care...lol

Ron

Not claiming to be an expert here. Can anyone support it with legislation to support or disprove her claim? :)

This is all I've ever really paid attention to on the subject. It's a little hard to follow...kinda like someone from the government might have written it.

I got a license 2 years ago. At that time it was $75 per family for a 5 year GMRS license. The license fee has since gone up to $80.00.

It's also one of the most complicated online forms I've ever had to fill out. Good luck with that.

Bret

It certainly is the hardest and most convoluted license registration of anything I ever did. When I started it was $75. By the time I got it right 3 submissions later, the price had been raised and it cost me $80. B)

FRS is free. GMRS requires the license.