Your Caching "m.o."

TeamVilla5

I like to go out for just a couple while the kiddies are at school a couple days a week, or scout for hiding spots. On the weekends, I *LIKE* to get in 2-3 with the whole fambly... that's ideal.

I usually pull up the screen shot for each cache on my Mac, along with a separate screenshot of its map. Then I can pull out the Powerbook if I need the hint, or need the map, etc. Sort of paperless, but a lot more cumbersome (albeit more beautiful, IMHO) than a PDA!

SO... how do you do it? Who goes on marathon weekends? What's the longest distance you drive JUST FOR a cache? Et cetera... et cetera... et cetera!!!!

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

I've got 3 alter-egos if you will:

1.) Usually try to grab 1 or 2 when they pop up in the area. Sometimes this requires jaunts out in the dark to try to grab a FTF.

2.) Planning a weekend excursion with Little Boo, my 4-year old caching buddy. This involves a bit of research on cache types, she likes treasure boxes, not so into micros. It also involves some packing and planning as a 4-year old requires more supplies than I do.

3.) My job requires me to be on a plane somewhere in the country, mostly the SE, at least twice a month. These trips require a lot of logistical planning, caches along a route, downloading PQs for the area, finding the waypoint for the hotel to use as HQ, researching cache dense areas via Google Earth to allow for maximum find count while in the area, and most recently, paperless caching stuff such as making sure the .gpx file is correctly loaded to the IPAQ rx1950.

Other than that, hiding, hiding, hiding. My home coords, Panama City Beach, FL, isn't that full of hides that I haven't found so I'm trying to give back in hopes that somebody will start hiding some more for me to find. :lol:

OOOoooOOO. Good topic for discussion. ( I can't wait until someone quotes someone else's post to say that they are doin' it wrong.):lol:;):blink:

Snoogans' Geocaching M.O.

I'm still low tech. No PDA. No laptop. No computer at home (when I'm home. Heck, I just got my first cell phone.) I print the page and sometimes a map and I enter the coords into my Magellan Color by hand. (Sheesh! No wonder Snoog is under 500 finds and claims to be over 100 caches behind in logging them.)

First off, I pack 4 different packs to geocache. A tiny pouch for micros, a messenger bag for most caches, a small backpack just for TBs and sig items to take to events, and a long hike pack with everything I'd need to do a hike of any length that wouldn't require an overnight stay.

I keep the first three packs mentioned in a geocaching action packer along with a pile of extra swag and sig items in whatever vehicle of mine that I happen to be driving that day. (I really don't know why I do this because it's only a rare occasion where I will cache on impulse.)

Most of my caching is centered around three things. Geocaching Events, Road Trips, and Tending travel bug hotels while out and about. (That's usually to and from work.)

If I hit more than one new cache on a given day, you can just bet there was an event nearby. On almost any weekend I'll travel up to 350 miles or so to attend an event. So, I have a 700 mile radius when I'm not on the road.

It's not unusual when I'm on the road to drive 600-1000 miles in a day. Usually these drives are set up with caches not to miss and caches that I'll stop for if I have time. This year, I cached coast to coast and hit caches in 13 states and a couple of events (including GW3) with my geo-dog Cujo. (Cujo had pooped in, or otherwise marked territory in 13 states before he was 6 months old.) :blink:

If I head out for a NEW cache/find/smiley/whatever it's prolly because I got a call/email/pm that a cache was a MUST SEE, or the logs are just too darned interesting not to go see what they're about. Word of mouth usually runs the Houston cachin' scene though.

I monitor travel bug activity and I'm opportunistic about picking them up if they're near to where I'll be that day. I used to go outta my way to help bugs, but not anymore. Gas is too expensive and some travel bug owners have unrealistic expectations about their bugs. I have a short list of TB owners whose bugs I won't touch.

At events, I mainly socialize. I don't do all the little runaround crap for prizes and such, but I usually clean out my TB hotels prior to the occasion and launder bugs for new stock to put back in them.

Any other cachin' activity is based on opportunistic time and proximity. There's a micro about 300 yards from where I'm sitting at work. I KNOW exactly where it is and it has been there for over a year now. I just haven't taken the time to get it.

As for hiding caches, I'm not the guy who drives around lookin' for any old spot to place a cache. I go through "hiding periods" where I'll plan a half dozen caches for specific spots, but I'll only list them one, or two, at a time. I have 5 caches that have been hidden since July that I haven't listed.

My hiding M.O. (in Texas) is predictable. I go with what I know and usually there are little clusters of Snoogans caches on all geocaching listing sites. If you're at a Snoogans gc.com cache, chances are there's a Snoogans' terracache nearby all up UNDER 528 feet away. This is to exploit the "DOH!" factor as much as possible for folks new to terracaching. (I have a terracache that's less than 10 feet from a GC cache and no one, other than terracachers, have found it.) ;)

When I'm at home in the Eastern Sierra, is where I place my very best hides/locations. (I've been placing caches (not geocaches) in the Sierras since 1980.) I get some great logs and pics from those caches and the cache logs are what really keep me in this game other than the people who play it.

All of my caches are placed for ease of maintenance and good security. If you're going for one series of my caches, chances are you'll be passing up several more individual caches of mine on this, or other sites.

I have been unable to share many of my most special places because geocaches are off limits in wilderness areas. Those will soon be on Waymarking.com.

Edited by Snoogans

I used to be a "gotta catch 'em all" type cacher, rushing out in the middle of the night to snag FTF, clear caching vast tracts of my state (and neighboring states) in a single day, or in a few cases, all night and all day. I'd go every weekend, and during the week when I got a chance.

Then I hit 500 finds...

For some reason, I slowed waaaay down. I believe a career change had alot to do with it. Today I found 3 caches. It had been 65 days (according to a cacher in our local forums) since my last cache find. It had been over a month since the cache find before that. I'm not fed up with it or anything... I've just lost my entheusiasm for it. I have a feeling its starting to come back to me little by little.

When caching in a big, unknown area, I usually have my laptop with me. If Im just hitting a few, I'll either just print the pages or write down some info about them. I never go anywhere without my trusty eTrex Legend and its Maps (very useful in these rural parts).

Well, the night before, I hand-write the coordinates and any pertinant info onto a piece of paper, hand enter the first set of coordinates into my battered Venture.

The next morning, I grab my hiking rucksack and staff, throw some swag into it, with a couple of bottles of water and some granola bars, I get in the truck and drive. Since the nearest unfound cache necessitates at least a 150 mile trip, I drive.

I generally go alone, so when I get to a parking spot, I head right out after the cache. After about ten minutes, I reverse directions, and head off in the correct direction.

When I get to the approximate site of the cache, I do the drunken bee dance until I find it. Sometimes I talk to myself. Just when I'm about to quit in abject frustration, I say "I'll give @#$%^* minutes to this @#$%^* cache!"; then I find it.

I repeat this process three to five times per outing, if that many caches are available, and then I drive home.

When I get home, I take the swag and the uneaten granola bars out of my pack, sit at the computer with a couple (three) (ok, four)bottles of really good beer and log my conquests.

Sometimes, about twice a year, after I mangle the translations to a reasonable gist, I write all the pertinant info on a piece of paper, enter a couple of coordinates in my battered Venture, throw some swag in my knapsack, get on an airplane on a Thursday night.

After about 7-8 hours, I get off the airplane in a foreign country, and pretty much do the same as above, except I sometimes can't drink the beer because I'm logging in from a public library or internet cafe.

On Monday, I get back on the airplane. I fly home.

On Tuesday, I go back to work.

Edited by Metaphor

My cache hunts generally are one of several kinds. The most common is that I'm heading out for a good hike and either check to see if there are caches along the planned route, or we target an area for our hike where we know are some caches.

Next most common is the opportunity hunt. I could be visiting family, shopping, going to the dentist, whatever and I flick on my GPS to see if there is anything in the area. I have Cachemate on my PDA so I have about 700 of the nearest cache pages on it as well as the waypoints loaded on my GPS.

Finally there are group hikes where a bunch of us locals gather to hike and hunt caches in a certain area.

I'm not a numbers guy. The majority of my caching outings involve 1, or 2 finds. Once in a while we'll find 3 or 4 and I think my one day record was 8, which came on a group hunt. Generally, I'd rather hike 3 hours to find one cache than find 3 caches in an hour.

As far as hiding, my MO is simple. I keep my eyes out for interesting places I encounter while hiking or doing trail work. I also read local newspapers and magazines looking for announcements of private property being purchased by the state, county or municipal government for land preservation. There is a lot of that going on in NJ (thank goodness). These are often interesting parcels of land and because they were private, they are uncached. Finally, I spend a lot of time reading maps, both topo and road. Through this, I sometimes find out of the way, little known parks to place caches in.

I start the week off with getting 300 - 400waypoints from geocaching.com. I create html and draw files for Street Atlas 2006 and upload the WPs to my GPS. It's all spur of the moment from that point on.

I always have my laptop with me and my GPS because I work on computers and drive alot so, ... lunch time cache? On your way home from work cache? Anytime cache? ;) And if I get lost or need help I can power up the old notebook and away I go

Binge Caching:

spend a couple of days plotting and plannning a nice route.

Drag fellow geocachers or wife into mess

Load PDA, GPS, headlamps, coolers

Leave just before dawn

Cache until 2-3 am

Survivie on crispy cremes, string cheese, granola bars, and Dr Pepper.

Log log log.

Repeat as needed

I’d say my hunts are broken down into two categories- when I’m home and when I’m away. I keep a query of all caches within 50 miles of home, which I’m determined to eventually find all of. The list is slowly shrinking and I’m about 2/3 done :unsure:

When home, my hunts are generally one of two types:

1) The spontaneous run out the door when I get a new cache notification within a few minutes of home. Like Jester2112, these are usually late-night attempts at FTF.

2) Well researched, planned hunts through my local area. I try to be as strategic as possible, so as not to cover the same territory more than is necessary (and to save gas). I’m usually pretty determined to get these caches and will spend a while at a site unless I’m convinced it’s missing. Close to home, I prefer the longer hunts, such as hikes or difficult puzzles, since it gives me something to do for an afternoon or longer.

When I’m away from the house, however, the goal of my cache hunting is to log unique caches, or ones in new areas, especially new states. I generally focus on the quicker finds, such as traditionals and virtuals close to parking, but I’ll go out of my way for a highly recommended one if I have time.

My away hunts are usually broken down into two types:

1) “Cache runs” in which I attempt to see as much of an area as possible, and on which I usually plan my route to take me to the most unique or scenic areas with the most caches. Road trips and vacations fall into this category. This involves hours of advance planning, studying maps, looking up caches, and finding out about new areas. I usually try not to come back to an area I’ve already been through, but instead to spread out and see as much as possible. Generally, my “tolerance” for difficult finds is lower, and I’m more likely to just move on to the next spot then to search for a long period.

One exception to this rule is when I set a goal of finding every cache in a small town, which can be quite fun and challenging. This usually gives me a chance to fully explore an area and spend some time there rather than just dashing on down the road.

2) Opportunistic finds, when I just happen to be somewhere and notice a cache nearby. I usually keep all waypoints in an area loaded into the GPS and PDA so that, if I have some time to kill (say while waiting on a friend who’s running late), I can grab a quick cache.

I am starting to think that life in northern Ontario is a good thing. just checked GSAK and within a 100km (60 miles approx) radius there are 123 caches. so the whole going on a short road trip to get a bunch of caches it doesn't really happen. I generally pick a few caches that my Motorcycle and I would like to visit, pick a day, invite others and go with whoever is available. at the end of the summer we started doing more night stuff but I recieved a lot of funny looks when I told people what we were doing due to the number of bear sightings in the area.

Caching really isn't a lifestyle for me, it is more an enjoyable way to pass some time outside with like minded friends. caching away from home is a different thing all together as my father and father and law enjoy going out with me and will quite happily waste a day exploring the areas around where they live that they haven't seen before.

bwmick

I personally fit into several catergories. Normally I'll spend a full day on the weekend grabbing caches. I typically plan 30 out, with the expectation that I won't get anywhere close to finding them all. Anymore I like to take my time to see the sights, if you will. So I plan out more than I expect to do, in case they all end up being quick finds, but I don't try to rush through them to get them all done in a day....I just enjoy what I do find, and save the rest for another day. Other times I will grab a cache or two on the way home from work, or when heading out to the store. I also like to cache with groups of folks, whether it's a high numbers day, or just out finding a couple of 'em.

I almost always take the GPS, and PDA with caches loaded for a certain day, then wipe 'em all out and start over for the next weekend....unless I'm caching after work/going to the store, then I'll just go by the waypoint in the GPS, or if I can remember enough details try to grab it w/o the GPS. Othertimes I'll have all of the above along with the laptop for maps/driving directions/etc.

The longest I've traveled for one specific cache is appx. 235 miles one way, for my 1000th find. Other than that I've traveled about 275 miles (assuming from my home to the furthest away cache on the trip) during a Geocaching vacation. I've also traveled about 410 miles (again assuming from home to the furthest away) during a recent "cachepedition" with a group of people. The furthest physical cache from my home that I've found is 1175 miles away, but I was in the area visiting people and/or on vacation. All mileage is actual driving mileage as figured by S&T. I already had it pulled up and didn't feel like bringing up GSAK. (ok, 195.9mi, 230.6mi, 294.9mi, and 1000.6mi, respectively, per GSAK in a straight line from home.)