Ammo Can Ghosts

SharpShin'

I am so glad I read this thread! I just got my first shipment of ammo cans today!! :lol: I have never even seen one before. You should have seen me opening the first one :D

Since my husband is out of town, I am heading right over to open all the tops right now! I don't think ammo can ghosts are what Zeke (the cat) and I need right now!!!

I once found an ammo can cache in the woods because of this phenomenon. I was almost ready to give up the search and was reaching for where I had hung my GPSr on a branch when I heard a "POP!" at my feet. After regaining my composure, I found the can neatly hidden under the roots of the tree. If the ammo can ghost hadn't decided to signal me then and there, I don't know if I would have ever found the cache! ;)

PV=nRT

A puzzle post? :blink:

pressure, temp, and volume have different relationships. If you hold one constant, and change another, the third will react based on this relationship. For instance, pressure and temperature have a direct relationship if you hold the volume constant (as in the case of the ammo can). So as the temperature in the room increases (increasing the temp of the air in the can) the pressure of the gas in the can will increase. because the ammo can has some flex, it is my assumption that as the temps change in the room the pressure in the can is increasing and decreasing and the ammo can is pinging.

Chemistry instructor hat off now ;)

If you've ever made home-made jam or other preserves, you can find out how the factory gets the "seal is safe" button to go down. You put the jam in hot, screw on the lid, and when it cools down, the button goes down with a satisfying little "pop". It also means that you have a good seal and your preserves will keep for a long time.

So, I guess a popping ammo box means never having to say you're soggy. ;)

One of the posts in response to the original.......(By Skunk Ape)

Posts: 644 Sometimes just out of the corner of my eye I see a small dark shape dart about the room. I turn my head and look real quick, but by the time I do, it's gone. Sometimes I think they go into the fireplace, but I looked up there and didn't see anything. I figured they were ghosts. They don't seem to hurt anything, so I try to ignore them now. Maybe they are coming from my ammo cans. I think maybe I will throw out the cans.

:rolleyes: John