Cache In Another Country

Chiro75

I will be in Morocco in a few months. I know there are 7 caches there, probably won't get a chance to get at any of them, but you never know. Will my yellow Garmin Etrex work as usual in Morocco once it realizes it went a little further from home than normal?

On a related note, what's the best way to get it there? I assume packing something like that in carry-on gear may just be asking for trouble. Or would it be okay to carry it on?

Your GPSr should work just fine in Moroco just as long as you tell it that you are in a new location or else it will get really confused. I was able to take my Etrex Vista carry on and I even got my max speed up to 500 something in the plane. I really don't trust checking it.

You dont hsve to tell your GPSr anything. But once you turn it on in Morocco, it will probably take some time before it discovers its new location. Just turn it on in an area with good access to the sky and let it sit there until it has a good sattelite lock. That process may take up to 15 minutes.

On a related note, what's the best way to get it there? I assume packing something like that in carry-on gear may just be asking for trouble. Or would it be okay to carry it on?

My last encounter with airport security was in September. My backpack carry-on had 2 GPSr's, Palm PDA, cellphone, digital camera, 2 FRS radios, battery charger and extra batteries. I wasn't asked to open it after the x-ray at all but the guy with the manual metal detector insisted I take off my hiking boots. I guess metal lace eyelets are far more threatening than all those electronic devices.

Go figure!! :lol:

Once on the plane it's a good idea to request a flight attendant ask the captain on your behalf for permission to use your GPSr. A lot of attendants have no idea what GPS is so they will say no just to be safe. If the pilot doesn't know what it is then get off the plane. :D

Cheers, Olar

You dont hsve to tell your GPSr anything. But once you turn it on in Morocco, it will probably take some time before it discovers its new location. Just turn it on in an area with good access to the sky and let it sit there until it has a good sattelite lock. That process may take up to 15 minutes.

Actually, when going more than a hundred miles or so, without your GPS on, it's always best to go into the settings and give it a state, possibly even coordinates to reference off of. That will really expedite the time it takes to find out where you are and get aa lock.

Actually, when going more than a hundred miles or so, without your GPS on, it's always best to go into the settings and give it a state, possibly even coordinates to reference off of.  That will really expedite the time it takes to find out where you are and get aa lock.

There is as far as I know no way to do that on my Garmin 60C, so I guess that is model specific.

Halla Tzoid.

On the GPSMap60 on the satellite screen press MENU

Select new location, then Use Map. Should give the GPS'r a jumpstart.

This is applicable for the Garmin Map-Gps'rs only. (As far as I know). :ph34r:

Edit: Submit button produces spelling errors.

Edited by baø
:unsure: I recently finished a hiking trip in Switzerland and did some caching along the way. One thing I found useful was using http://babelfish.altavista.com. Most of the cache postings were in German, and I used this site to translate the page. It has a feature to translate text and another to translate a complete webpage. It tries to do a good job, but sometimes the translations come out pretty humorous. Edited by Titmouse

The only thing you'd have to change on your GPS is to make sure you have the right hemisphere. For example, the US is North XX.XX.XXX, wherease Brazil is SOUTH XX.XX.XXX, need to to the same for East and West, otherwise your gps will say the cache that should be a mile away is a couple thousand miles away.