Virtual Coin 'gone'

Geoki

As one of the EUCoins that I recieved had a low number i had decided that rather than letting out it could travel 'virtually' [Yes I know some of you don't agree with it but there is a topic for that one!] All was going well till the weekend when it appears to have vanished along with all the miles it had done. When i went to add a note it comes up with ' This listing has been locked'.

Does any one else know what this is all about?

Thanks

Edited by geoki
The same thing happened to my VTB which was meant to stay virtually travelling above the speed of sound. It was killed my our american Masters Across The Ocean. ;)

SP

Do you have to turn everything into an "us vs. them" thing? Virtual coins weren't just banned in the UK, they were banned in America too, in fact, worldwide.

But Pauls was blocked in February 05 so it wasnt worldwide then :ph34r: So he was not turning it in to anything :D

Edited by Deego

Are they allowed to do this, after all you have paid for the page it is listed on! If they are, will they re-list it if it is made into a travelling coin?

Are you allowed to make a coin into yourself, such as PYoung1's TB's, so that people can log it if they meet you for instance?

Questions Questions, I'm glad I hadn't gone for that option!

The same thing happened to my VTB which was meant to stay virtually travelling above the speed of sound. It was killed my our american Masters Across The Ocean. :ph34r:

SP

Do you have to turn everything into an "us vs. them" thing? Virtual coins weren't just banned in the UK, they were banned in America too, in fact, worldwide.

I can't say where I have read in the rules that you can't have a vert TB. I thought Geocaching was supposed to be innovative, but as with all things that grow they eventually become bogged down in their own rules and regs. Shame ;)

The same thing happened to my VTB which was meant to stay virtually travelling above the speed of sound. It was killed my our american Masters Across The Ocean. :ph34r:

SP

The 'darn' Yanks started it. 1776. Some of us still remember.

SP

P.S. For the record, my VTB (note: NOT a virtual geocoin) was halted without warning (I would have 'brought it home' and released the physical tag given the option) killed without warning (there was no rule against them at the time and many VTBs have been released since and remain unmolested) and I don't hold our UK moderators responsible for decisions and actions taken in the US without their knowledge or blessing. This is why I diferentiate between TPTB (local and US mods/reviewers) and MATO (US mods/reviwers/law unto themselves). I have often asked Groundspeak why my VTB seemed to have been singled out, and never received a reply, even an unsatisfactory one. All I eventually discovered was that there was a fear that it might damage Groundspeak servers, which hardly explains why so many others survive/d so long. Given this, yes, it did/does somehow feel a bit 'personal'. Plus I've long thought this line on the 'What is a TB' page needed changing: "What does a Travel Bug do? It's really up to the owner of the bug to give it whatever task they desire. Or no task at all. The fun of a travel bug is inventing new goals for the Travel Bug to achieve. One Bug's goal may be to reach a specific country, or travel to 10 countries." I'd expect to see a 'No virtual bugs allowed' note on this page, wouldn't you?

P.P.S. Feel free to name something else I've made a 'them and us' issue. I've thought about it and can only think of 'Common sense Vs. Knee-jerk gung-ho reaction' situations. ;)

Edited by Simply Paul

Paul,

I think you ARE allowed to give your travel bug any mission you like. But,

I'd expect to see a 'No virtual bugs allowed' note on this page, wouldn't you?

The page begins with;

What is a Groundspeak Travel Bug?

Simply put, a Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

If your bug is "a trackable tag" with an item attached, being carried in the "real" world (I THINK I know what they mean by that :ph34r: ), I don't see why it was "locked". Otherwise, it's not a travel bug - so using the travel bug tracking facilities for this is misusing them as they are designed for tracking travel bugs. I don't blame the site owners for wanting to stamp out a type of misuse that has been spreading. It would have been polite for them to have e-mailed you to warn that this was happening, though!

A Virtual Travel Bug is one that has no trackable tag. I haven't actually come across any yet: I suppose they are tracked outside gc.com - AFAIK they only issue numbers associated with physical items (i.e. tags and coins).

Sorry to sound like a geocaching.com lackey - I know it's not going to help my popularity - but I can see their point even if I don't like the way they've handled it.

HH

Fair point about the:

What is a Groundspeak Travel Bug?

Simply put, a Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

And yes, a VTB has no physical tag so it's technically an infringement of the GC TB rules - at least as they're expressed in that quoted section. Having seen several VTBs being logged on GC.com before I released mine, I was under the impression they were acceptable (or at least tolerated) and thought the mission I'd given mine was a worthwhile one. Read more about it here. My real issue with its untimely death was that I'd gone to the trouble of writing a nice TB page only to have the TB locked, without being given the option of making it a physical bug instead. Just seemed a little heavy handed. Then there was no explanation why my VTB had crashed and burned while so many others were still at large. Is it because the TB celebrates the triumph of British engineering and big steel nuts over the Americans, who've often considered the World Land Speed Record their own? :ph34r:

I'm surprised to read you've never 'seen' a Virtual TB - I must have 'seen' a dozen or more. A list available upon e-mail application (I would post their links here, but you never know who's watching and it's not my wish to spoil any one else's virtual fun) ;)

Back OT, wouldn't some sort of warning about Virtual Geocoins have gone out to their owners? If those owners now want to release the genuine coin, can they?

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

Paul,

I would have 'brought it home' and released the physical tag given the option)

...so how would you have done that if it has no physical tag to release? To me, it "simply" ;) looks like a travel bug tag that is sitting at home. So not a virtual TB. Nice mission, very imaginatively presented! Shame to waste it, but at least it sailed for a while before being sunk. :ph34r:

I suspect that it's caches like this one which have brought the "virtual traveller" idea into disrepute. The cache logs used to be an interesting list of visits, but now it's just a set of boring "virtual" logs. Yes, I know it's a virtual cache!

HH

I'd imagine that when there were only a few VTB's it wasn't much of an issue. Now that everyone is making their own geocoin, the strain on the "trackable item" server is growing.

Virtual caches went the same way if you think about it. They started off as just a few, but became a rampant problem when people started waypoint abandoned tennis shoes or dead birds. Now they have been moved to a separate site (Waymarking) so they don't impact the game of geocaching.

Who knows what the long term outlook is. Maybe down the road virtual tags will be a part of the Waymarking site, since geocaching is about the physical container and physical TB-type items. That's kind of up to the community to decide, or rather, suggest to the website operators. If there is enough interest, TPTB will decide if they want to pursue it.

Virtual caches went the same way if you think about it. They started off as just a few, but became a rampant problem when people started waypoint abandoned tennis shoes or dead birds. Now they have been moved to a separate site (Waymarking) so they don't impact the game of geocaching.

Tennis shoes, dead birds, where are these examples please. I have visited some excellent virtual caches. I have also placed a physical cache where a virtual would be far more appropriate.

Waymaking. No thanks.

I still feel very strongly that properly policed virtuals should still be listed. Far better for the environment in some places.

Tennis shoes, dead birds, where are these examples please. I have visited some excellent virtual caches. I have also placed a physical cache where a virtual would be far more appropriate.

Waymaking. No thanks.

I still feel very strongly that properly policed virtuals should still be listed. Far better for the environment in some places.

I wasn't inteding to take this thread off topic by bringing up virtual caches, only to give examples of why things change. It isn't because the "MATO" or whatever "just decided", it is in response to the community (which includes the UK as well as the rest of the world, not just the US).

...so how would you have done that if it has no physical tag to release? To me, it "simply"  :mad: looks like a travel bug tag that is sitting at home. So not a virtual TB. Nice mission, very imaginatively presented! Shame to waste it, but at least it sailed for a while before being sunk.  :D

I still have the physical tags (I needed to buy them to get the number to use for my VTB) on their chain, but now they're useless. Except as a little prop for an 'interrogation role-play' game I used to enjoy with my German ex-girlfriend... :lol:

To clarify the situation: A VTB or VGC still needs tracking numbers, is tracked on GC.com and those tracking numbers originally come on tags or the coin. Err. Is that clear?

I can see how a problem may grow with 'non physical trackable items' (NPTI) but how that problem is handled is the issue. People have paid good money for tracking numbers, which can (perhaps) no longer be used in the way they believed they could.

Virtual caches, or Reverse/Locationless? Neither have been moved anywhere. The latter will move to 'whymarking.com' next year, and new examples of the former can no longer be listed on GC.com, but existing ones have been Grandfathered and will remain on the geocaching site. If there really was a quality issue with caches of any type, why weren't/aren't our 'TPTB' given the power to reject a cache on the basis of 'appeal' by 'MATO?' At the moment even if a cache sounds Shi rubbish, so long as it breaks no rules our fine mods are obliged to list it.

I wasn't intending to take this thread off topic by bringing up virtual caches, only to give examples of why things change. It isn't because the "MATO" or whatever "just decided", it is in response to the community (which includes the UK as well as the rest of the world, not just the US).

I don't remember my opinion on virtual caches or (OT!) virtual geocoins being canvassed - anyone else?

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

Virtual caches, or Reverse/Locationless? Neither have been moved anywhere. The latter will next year, and new examples of the former can no longer be listed on GC.com, but existing ones have been Grandfathered.

SP

Whether you liked them or not, virtuals are now known as waymarks, excluding the ones that have been grandfathered on geocaching.com

Waymaking. No thanks.

I wasn't inteding to take this thread off topic by bringing up virtual caches, only to give examples of why things change. It isn't because the "MATO" or whatever "just decided", it is in response to the community (which includes the UK as well as the rest of the world, not just the US).

Where did I mention the US or anyhere else for that mateer pray tell?

So how about the examples then?

Waymaking. No thanks.

Where did I mention the US or anyhere else for that mateer pray tell?

So how about the examples then?

MATO was mentioned by someone else, the point was that it doesn't help the UK cachers to complain about the way the Americans run the site. It's a worldwide game.

I've been around long enough that I've seen those virtuals mentioned in numerous threads. Rather than take this further away from the VTB topic, i'll direct you to the search feature on the top of the forums.

Paul,

Err. Is that clear?

Ahem! I understand that much :lol: . It just seems to me that you bought a physical TB, kept it at home but let people log it. The game being, that people pretend it's in a cache rather than just grabbing it. But it's still a physical TB. A virtual would never have been issued as a tag or coin: it would just be a number.

I guess you won't agree, but we may as well agree to differ on that one if it's OK with you!

Did she become your ex-girlfriend immediately after the role-play game with a travel bug tag, by the way? :D

HH

Ahem! I understand that much  :D . It just seems to me that you bought a physical TB, kept it at home but let people log it. The game being, that people pretend it's in a cache rather than just grabbing it.

Yes. THAT'S the nature of NPTI! ALL Virtual TBs or Virtual GeoCoins MUST, at some time, have been a physical item (a coin or a tag) in order to get a tracking number!

But it's still a physical TB. A virtual would never have been issued as a tag or coin: it would just be a number.

It's a physical TB in the sense that I still have the tags...? There are VTBs that were TBs that vanished in the real world and were rereleased as VTBs. In that case there may be no tag, or at least not one which anyone knows the location of.

I guess you won't agree, but we may as well agree to differ on that one if it's OK with you!

It's not that I don't agree or disagree, it's just that I don't understand what you understand a VTB or VGC to be.

Did she become your ex-girlfriend immediately after the role-play game with a travel bug tag, by the way?  :mad:

Oh no, she became my ex-girlfriend when she was afraid her husband might find out. Naughty minx. :lol:

SP

It's a game!

sorry but if i play a game i like to play it properly just the way i am if its worth doing its worth doing right.

Thats my opinion

It may well be the way I prefer to play the game as well. However I sometimes like to have a bit of fun.

What is right and wrong in a game with guidelines and no rules.

sorry but if i play a game i like to play it properly

One of the attractions of geocaching is that it is fluid enough for lots of people to play lots of games their way. People who log and send out VTBs and such are playing "properly", its just their version of the game.

So, to rephase mongoose39uk - It's just a lot of different games

sorry but if i play a game i like to play it properly just the way i am if its worth doing its worth doing right.

Thats my opinion

I'm sure everyone will agree with that. What they/we/I/you won't agree on is what 'properly' and 'right' mean when the game has rules and guidelines wide open to interpretation.

As an example, the mission I gave my VTB would be impossible (or at least very difficult) for a physical TB to do. And I dare say most VGCs are only VGCs because owners are i) wary of sending the physical coin off and/or ii) very kind, and want to help folks get icons they might not otherwise have access to.

Anyway, it was me who mentioned MATO because, although geocaching is an international sport, it seems to have a very US-centric spin when it comes to the decision making processes of Groundspeak.com.

SP

This is logged into a local cache near me  Boysie so anyone turning up to collect the bug using PQ's is going to mightly peeved... this sort of thing should be banned what a waste of time  :D

You are entitled to your opinion

So are you saying its fine to leave a live dog logged into a cache? Atleast they could log the stupid thing out of the cache.. :lol:

Yes I am entitled to my opinion.......and well done you for spotting that!

Anyone care to back HH (or me?) up on this? :lol:

Edit: Ah, now my brain has caught up HH. You mean a virtual item which was NEVER a physical one. As far as I know these don't, and never have, existed. Groundspeak won't just supply a TB number without it coming with tags. Coin numbers might be different as they do not 'make the coins themselves'. (I know they may never handle the TB tags either, but at least they carry the official GC.com logos, etc.)

OT, do our mods (who I feel sure are keeping a close eye) know anything about the VGC (or should I say make-believe geocoin HH :mad:) locking situation? Is there an official statement on GC.com anywhere? People with NPTI-coins will be wanting to know what the situation is!

So are you saying its fine to leave a live dog logged into a cache? Atleast they could log the stupid thing out of the cache.. 

You don't think there's a real dog in a real ammo box.... do you? :D

SP

Edited by Simply Paul
This is logged into a local cache near me  Boysie so anyone turning up to collect the bug using PQ's is going to mightly peeved... this sort of thing should be banned what a waste of time  :D

You are entitled to your opinion

So are you saying its fine to leave a live dog logged into a cache? Atleast they could log the stupid thing out of the cache.. :lol:

Yes I am entitled to my opinion.......and well done you for spotting that!

Poor little doggie. Fancy cramming it in an ammo box

I am not sure I follow some of the latter parts of this discussion, nor am I inclined to concentrate my tiny mind and do so...

To me it does seem a bit harsh that Geoki decided to make her coin into a virtual coin... by which I suppose she means putting the tracking number up on the coin page so that people could log it without seeing it and getting the number, which was as far as she was aware within the rules.

Suddenly the coin is locked, without warning and she has now 'lost' the coin. I don't have an issue with a no virtual TBs rule, and I can see how this would use up server rescources, but this should have been publicised loud and clear so people could rethink their TB/coins and perhaps send them out into the world as a real physical TB/coin.

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that Groundspeak gave SP a replacement TB tag when they effectively confiscated his. I would hope that they would consider an amnesty for virtual coins and bugs, during which time the numbers could be removed from the pages and they could be re-launched as a real Tbs/coins?

The linked thread seems to be anti people logging TBs at events which they see but do not actually take away from the event with them.... this seems far more common in the USA than it is here (since it was discounted from COTM stats!) and for some events which have hundreds of bugs in them, I could see this would be a real problem with multiple people logging all the bugs.

The cynical part of me says that I can see their point, but I also cannot see that a very small text entry into the database (of the "saw this coin" variety) can really guzzle too much resource.

What I wonder about is the following :

A person who is a TB. In the States some people have even tattooed themselves with the TB icon and the tracking number. As you can only log this TB when you meet the person (presumably at an event) where does this come in the newly to be applied rules. Hey, you can be sure as hell if my tattoo was suddenly 'locked' by Groundspeak, if I had such a thing, I would be "slightly miffed".

Ssimilarly, various cars, dogs, cameras, drinking vessels etc are TBs. You cannot take them away. You cannot stuff the doggie into an ammo can...

Finally, somebody I know has already been offered $200 for a UK geocoin. These things have value to collectors. We are not talking muggles here, this is value to cachers. It has been suggested to me that instead of sending the actual coin out, one could send a replacement, for example a laminated photo of the coin. It would still travel and be logged as a real coin, so would not generate loads of extra logs, so I would think this would be just as valid as sending out the actual item... with the bonus that you get to keep and admire the coin yourself. I don't see that this contravenes the rules... that is, the rules as we are now piecing them together....

What I wonder about is the following :

A person who is a TB. In the States some people have even tattooed themselves with the TB icon and the tracking number. As you can only log this TB when you meet the person (presumably at an event) where does this come in the newly to be applied rules.

I hope they dont ban this type of TB. I enjoy being searched for the TB number at meets :lol::D

Deego TB since Oct 2004

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that Groundspeak gave SP a replacement TB tag when they effectively confiscated his...

...You cannot stuff the doggie into an ammo can...

After much begging. The replacement tags only compensated me for the loss of the TB tracking numbers, not the inconvenience of setting up a new TB page, all the emails and time spent trying to sort the situation out...

You seem very sure Ali - have you tried? :lol:

SP

Alibags,

I agree that there should (ideally) be an amnesty, rather than simply "locking". I suppose the problem is that the "virtual" travels have already been logged, making the TB position and distance rather arbitrary.

I believe that the proposal is to have a "spotted" log, where you show that there was no intention to move an item, but you have seen it. So SP can "spot" your tattoo (if you let him see that part of your body! :lol: ) but he doesn't have to take you away or try and stuff you in a cache :D .

Finally, somebody I know has already been offered $200 for a UK geocoin

I think that they might be a tad disappointed if they paid $200 then received a registered package containing a photo of a geocoin...

(only kidding, I get what you mean really)...

HH

I believe that the proposal is to have a "spotted" log, where you show that there was no intention to move an item, but you have seen it. So SP can "spot" your tattoo (if you let him see that part of your body! :D ) but he doesn't have to take you away or try and stuff you in a cache :mad: .

Um, can we steer this analogy AWAY from any idea of SP looking for my tattoos and doing any 'stuffing' at all which involves me, and BACK towards the much tastier prospect of frisking Deego for hidden tracking numbers! :lol:

It is Groundspeak's bat and ball, so it is their game. I don't especially have an issue with that. I just think it's fair if the rules do not suddenly change without warning. That sort of thing can lead to a lot of bad feeling.

(snip) It is Groundspeak's bat and ball, so it is their game.  I don't especially have an issue with that.  I just think it's fair if the rules do not suddenly change without warning.  That sort of thing can lead to a lot of bad feeling.

Not from me...

I don't believe that geocaching.com have "changed the rules" at all. The concept was always that TBs are a physical item which moves from cache to cache - ideally, one cache at a time.

It wasn't hard to understand this system - and there were no "rules" because none were needed.

The people who invented a different concept for using the TB facility are the ones that changed the rules. It worked for a while - and now it doesn't.

Tough. :lol:

-Wlw.

It's a game!

Thats my opinion

Now, if that were really true, you wouldn't have had a TB posted from USA would you? Or are White Jeeps an exception in your eyes? :lol:

The rest of us have derived some pleasure from sharing coins and VTbs, they have been bought and paid for, what difference does it really make?

The rules, such as they are, are open to interpretation, and it seems lately that TPTB have lost sight that people enjoy the game in differing ways.

Now, if that were really true, you wouldn't have had a TB posted from USA would you? Or are White Jeeps an exception in your eyes? ;)

The rules, such as they are, are open to interpretation, and it seems lately that TPTB have lost sight that people enjoy the game in differing ways.

The jeep was sent by someone who checked out with geocaching that it wasnt breaking any rules being sent here. I wanted to send it straight back as i didnt make a big thing about it being here only to find someone had posted on the forum about a white jeep being released, But it has to be spoiled by a certain few. If you want to see the email please feel free to ask and i will show you it. The Jeep is real not virtual so if a child (or aduklt for that matter) goes to a cache where it is they can pick it up and take it away its not imaginary.

My post wasnt a personal attack on anyone but if you wanna single me out thats fine. As a new cacher i suppose i am fair game :blink:

OT, do our mods (who I feel sure are keeping a close eye) know anything about the VGC (or should I say make-believe geocoin HH ;)) locking situation? Is there an official statement on GC.com anywhere? People with NPTI-coins will be wanting to know what the situation is!

You are right Paul, I have been keeping a close eye on this thread but have refrained from adding my personal views as I didn't think it appropriate to share them here. FWIW I don't see this as some dastardly plot from "across the water", rather I see it as an attempt to return the use of the Geocaching.com website to its original concept. That is the hunting of physical objects (Geocaches) and the logging the travels of other physical objects (Travel Bugs).

To answer your question, in my position as Reviewer/Moderator I have been aware for a while now of plans to do something about "Virtual" TB's/Coins but in all honesty I have to say that while I keep a close eye on this forum and participate in the private Reviewers' forum I don't visit all the general forums as much as perhaps I ought to. I cannot comment when/if/where and announcement was/wasn't made public. Sorry.