What Can Google Earth Do For Me?

NWMOhunter

So I have the free version of Google Earth and I use it to look up a few things. I'd like to know how other people use Google Earth in Geocaching.

Do you load waypoints into the program? Do you do this from the GPSr or do you use a program like GSAK?

I haven't used Earth very extensively so if you can please go into detail on how you load things in and stuff.

Thanks!

The main thing i use it for is to scan for cache density in an area and to scan for caches along a route.

First you gotta download the cache browser KML from your account page and, after starting GE, open that downloaded file.

For checking for area cache density I just soom to the area I am interested in and see what pops up.

For caches along a route, I zoom in to my starting point, then "fly" along my planned route, checking out caches that pop up along the way. If any seem interesting I bookmark them into a working bookmark list I have. Once I have my working list, I generate a PQ from that bookmark list. Then just before I head out I run the PQ, run it through GSAK and load it into my GPSr's and my PDA and I'm off.

I'm sure there are much more creative uses, but this is as far as I've gotten so far.

1. It is fun to "fly" the route taken by a travel bug, by following the KML link on the bug's page.

2. For serious planning beyond a general peek at an area, I prefer opening GPX files in Google Earth vs. the Geocaching KML. The GPX files use the exact coordinates, not "fuzzy" coordinates. And I can customize and filter the GPX files to display only the caches I want to see, such as "all caches I haven't found, excluding puzzle caches I'll never figure out."

3. It is very cool to order up the new "All My Finds" pocket query and display the GPX file in Google Earth. Seeing all those pushpins in 23 different states makes me appreciate all the interesting places that I've been taken to as a result of geocaching.

OMG... this appears to be a Babel-based "filter along a route" solution that's independent of GSAK and Micro$oft map software.  Since that describes me, I can't wait to go home and try this!  Thanks.

It's not noted on the webpage but you'll probably need to be on the lastest GPSBabel beta.

Alan

2.  For serious planning beyond a general peek at an area, I prefer opening GPX files in Google Earth vs. the Geocaching KML. 

3.  It is very cool to order up the new "All My Finds" pocket query and display the GPX file in Google Earth.

How do you open GPX files in Google Earth? I can't see that option anywhere, and couldn't find it in the GE help. Do you need a subscriber version? I'm using the free one. Thanks.