Need Some Adice

golfdiva

I started caching last summer, and usually do it alone. My hubby is after me to get a cell phone to take along. (That's right, I think I am the last one in the US to never have had a cell phone!)

I'm fine with that, it's probably a good idea, but know nothing about them or what to get. I thought about getting one that could also go online so I wouldn't have to print out all those cache web pages. However, those seem to have so many other features I don't want/need.

Also there is the problem of coverage. Are some companies/phones better at covering more out of the way places than others?

Then they also have all these things that I have no idea what they are or if I want/need them! I'd be willing to spend some money if'n I thought it was worthwhile.

What equipment do you all use? What do you like/don't like? Any recommendations for me?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

At this point in the game, the best coverage is from a phone that has both digital and analog capability.

You also have to find a plan that gives you the broader analog coverage area.

The plan I'm on has a very broad coverage area incuding analog areas not covered by other plans that claim to have analog. The catch is the plan doesn't exist anymore and I'm grandfathered.

You will really need to do your homework to get the better coverage.

For the most part in my daily use the better coverage I have over others cell phone users have hasn't been an issue. We are not out of coverage very long. But that's not really the point.

At some point in the future we will also see the Analog system go away. However for now we are not there yet.

That's not much help, but it gives you criteria to look at and ask questions about.

I started caching last summer, and usually do it alone. My hubby is after me to get a cell phone to take along. (That's right, I think I am the last one in the US to never have had a cell phone!)

I'm fine with that, it's probably a good idea, but know nothing about them or what to get. I thought about getting one that could also go online so I wouldn't have to print out all those cache web pages. However, those seem to have so many other features I don't want/need.

Also there is the problem of coverage. Are some companies/phones better at covering more out of the way places than others?

Then they also have all these things that I have no idea what they are or if I want/need them! I'd be willing to spend some money if'n I thought it was worthwhile.

What equipment do you all use? What do you like/don't like? Any recommendations for me?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I dont have one either...

Plan a trip to your local mall. Most have several cellular providers in kiosks spread throughout the area. Plan ahead of time to make no decision until you talk to all of them. Ask about their coverage areas and ask to see a coverage map. Go with the company that has the best coverage for the area you'll likely spend most of your time in.

As for which phone to get? Personally, I'd recommend getting something cheap enough that you can afford to replace it when you drop it, leave it on the roof of your car and/or submerge it. I've found that there is a direct relationship between the amount of gadgets crammed into a phone and the probability that it'll break. Simpler is sometimes better.

Several years ago I decided to take the plunge and get a cell phone. Since I didn't plan on spending much time talking to friends/family on it, I chose a prepaid plan, and figured if I find myself using it a lot, I'll commit to a year-long plan. I'm still using the prepaid option. The phone cost me like $50, and I buy airtime every so often. It has voicemail, text messaging, and a few other no-frills features. In the off months, it only costs me $10 a month to keep it active. In the busy months, it might cost me more like $30-40. Which company provides the best coverage is dependent on your area. I think mine (Verizon) gives me the best coverage around here, but if I'm in the mountains, it can get spotty. If you compare notes with others in your area, you'll find out who can give you the best coverage.

. . .Then they also have all these things that I have no idea what they are or if I want/need them! I'd be willing to spend some money if'n I thought it was worthwhile.

What equipment do you all use? What do you like/don't like? Any recommendations for me? . . .

Whatever you get, make sure you have a good hard case and insurance for it.

Geocaching can be hard on expensive equipment . . .

A cell phone is good to have, but don't rely on it. Batteries die, coverage is spotty in some places, so if you need it it may not be available. Also bring a loud whistle with you just in case. If you are in trouble it can be heard from a good distance.

Ham radio anyone?

35 question mutiple guess test and NO CODE requirment = easy to get and you have access to hundreds of repeaters. In areas that cell phones DONT have coverage.....

I have the MPX220, which is a Smartphone, which means there is Windows on it. Its really nice because I can convert my GPX files to HMTL and store them on the phone. Smaller than a PDA and it always worked out for me wonderfully. I have added 512MB card and it doubles as an MP3 player, and has internet access. Plus, its which Cingular which has pretty decent coverage. Ask around in your area to see if you get recommendations on the best coverage. A lot of people say Verizon have the better coverage in my area, but I hardly ever lose coverage in an area that nobody else does.