South Carolina

gas4cache

If you found this page, it appears to be dormant.

If you want to establish some linkage with local geocachers, you might search for caches near your zip code and look at the profile page for some of the cache owners. You could send an e-mail to a cache owner by clicking on the link on their profile page.

It has been my observation that most experienced geocachers are more than happy to help a new geocacher get started on the right foot.

Caching is alive and kicking...at least for us. :lol:

Depending on where you live, my family and 2 others have started a brand new organization in the piedmont. We are South Carolina Piedmont Cachers. So far we don't have a webpage, but we have already had a successful Cito event at a local state park.

If you have any questions, want to cache, or want to come to one of our events, just email us. :D

And T, we might actually come down to the next geoholics meeting, the girls will be off school then.

When will that meeting be.. what day? And if I can make it, I may need help finding it. (I don't have a gpsr yet... waaaa...lol)

As for Piedmont Cachers... where are you guys based.. Like up around florence or something?

Thanks

Ron

btw. I did just that contacting the owner of a nearby cache. He's working out of state right now, but will be getting back in touch. I'm mainly looking for a group or something to join up with so I can learn what I haven't picked up in here.

Here is my take on things...It is a cut and paste of my earlier post:

I believe, due to people being relocated, family obligations,H3777, career changes,and other unforseen circumstances that there has been a lack of interest in holding the reins. I hope I'm wrong! The SCGA needs to bring together ALL of the states' active and future cachers for the good of the sport! Here is a list of commitee members currently listed on the SCGA website...

www.iscga.org

The Steering Commitee Members

The commitee members at present are:

TinSparrow - Leader and organizer

Swamp Thing

Waterbaron

Hologram21

Jon & Miki

Your best bet is to look their profile up ,send an email to each, and ask the questions you wish to be answered. I for one would also like to know the outcome!

I haven't heard anything in quite a while from the SCGA... :lol:

I'll have to see if I can make the geoholics meeting. I'm in Harleyville.. right darn near the intersection of I-95 and I-26.

I'll be getting in touch with someone after Christmas to go out with once or twice for some hunts. Just to kinda get my feet wet.

Ron

Don't count the SCGA dead just yet.

Originally we had tried to get some upstate folks involved, but it appeared no one was interested. We even had a meeting or two up there.

I think the pending bill dampened a good bit of activity. We most definately do need to start getting re-organized.

Email me if anyone is interested.

Originally we had tried to get some upstate folks involved, but it appeared no one was interested. We even had a meeting or two up there.

I think the pending bill dampened a good bit of activity. We most definately do need to start getting re-organized.

From what I heard people from the upstate said they would be more then willing to help but no one ever contacted them after the meeting. The upstate wants to be involved, just need to know what to do and where to go so they can be.

If anyone wants to get involved in the group, encourage them to contact me.

I'm no longer a steering commitee member, but still want a state-wide group to move forward. The state is no so big that it has to be divided up into different groups. There really needs to be one group any authority can contact about issues in the state.

That's not to say there shouldn't be regional groups or chapters of the larger group as it is understandable the state is larger enough that someone from the upstate might find it inconvenient to travel to the lowcountry, or even from an outlying area to Columbia.

So many folks travel to attend the Geoholics Anonymous meetings. And they add so much to the events. Time to consider what's fair, so...

I think we may put the Geoholics Anonymous meeting on the road. Any suggestions for locations?

I'd like to keep it under 45 miles from downtown Cola to start. Usually half the folks at the meetings drive at least that far.

But, to be technical, that's about the edge of the 'Midlands' and as a self-help group whose regulars are all confirmed to be lost causes, it's time to reach out to a new pool of Geoholism victims to help them also learn that it is incurable.

- T of TandS

Originally we had tried to get some upstate folks involved, but it appeared no one was interested.  We even had a meeting or two up there.

I think the pending bill dampened a good bit of activity.  We most definately do need to start getting re-organized.

From what I heard people from the upstate said they would be more then willing to help but no one ever contacted them after the meeting. The upstate wants to be involved, just need to know what to do and where to go so they can be.

Thanks GH28. We did feel as if we were left out in the cold for awhile. It's just as much our fault as anyones. We did try to make contact and had contact with a few. Jon & Miki are still quiet active and want to continue with the SCGA. Swampthing is as well. Heck here's a list.

Jon & Miki

Waterbaron

Swampthing

Parrolet

hologram21

Clan X-Man

Fastfrank & Wanda

TinSparrow (Who sadly will be leaving us to move to Florida with his signifigant other.)

Overcached (Who has spent quite some time working with Dr Leider on an alternative wording of the bill that is proposed in South Carolina.)

You see there is a whole list of folks right there. CR has been extremely active as far as keeping up the website.

The SCGA is alive. Two of the steering commitee members, Parrolet and I are two of the founding members of South Carolina Piedmont Cachers.

I find it insulting to state that there was no interest in the upstate. There is heavy interest in the upstate.

The SCGA steering committee will be holding a meeting on Dec 17 as a matter of fact.

We'll see where we go from there.

No disrespect intended. CR was an original member and I think founder of the SCGA.

For that and the time he and Sissy have spent I am grateful. But don't lessen my folks and our interest.

X

As far as caching goes over the summer and during the latest gas crisis, I like most of you, did not get to cache hardly at all. However to defend against this bill I did make a PQ that gave me a listing of caches within a 500 mile radius and checked that list for possible logs that could fuel Ceips argument in the Senate. It doesn't take much to read through except time. The cachers I asked to edit logs were extremely understanding and changed their logs right away if anything was thought to be ammo-type logging. If I didn't contact you back when I asked you to change a log, I am sorry. Whoever I contacted your cooperation was extremely appreciated. This bill may still pass. As far as the first day calendar for the senate, we aren't even listed. If anyone has any info please pass it along.

X

Good luck with the meeting on the 17th and I hope everyone from all the areas can make it.

Geocaching is far from being on the downlow in South Carolina right now, and all I have to say is look at all the new caches that have popped up lately. I can think of about 4 that came out around the CITO event, Waterbaron has a new one out, OzGuff has a new one out, Fast Frank and Wanda are kicking some butts in Greenville this week with there new ones and I got the thorn marks to prove it.

If there is any uncertaninty about who can and can not make the meeting, a mass e-mail should be sent out to all current and new members just making sure they still want to be a part of the committee. If they don't this gives the active people some time to try and get someone else in there who might be willing.

Edited by geoholic28
No disrespect intended. CR was an original member and I think founder of the SCGA.

For that and the time he and Sissy have spent I am grateful. But don't lessen my folks and our interest.

Sorry I ruffled some feathers. I guess I was misinformed.

Also, Tinsparrow is (was) the driving force behind the group. Sissy and I just tagged along.

Tinsparrow has served South Carolina in so many great aspects when it comes to geocaching and public work with geocaching that I hope everyone who knows him personally makes sure he knows just how much we have vauled all his hard work that he has done for us. He is a great man and has provided many of us with great and challenging caches and he will be missed.

Now to make sure I do not get reminded of the topic at hand, where does the SCGA stand right now with the members listed. Are all the news one confirmed or was the list just from the last SCGA meeting?

Now to make sure I do not get reminded of the topic at hand, where does the SCGA stand right now with the members listed. Are all the news one confirmed or was the list just from the last SCGA meeting?

I'm not sure where things stand. I think the present members of the commitee need to meet to see where things go from here.

I'm out of the loop on any meeting on the 17th, nor do I see it mentioned anywhere else. Hopefully the members are emailing amongst themselves.

It's too bad that TS is leaving us. He has some great caches that I've not gotten around to. But looking on the brighter side, he's moving to a more geocache-friendly area.

Maybe the SCGA just needs some revitalization. There are many new members with new ideas since the group was originally formed. New members can definitely benefit from the respected original SC cachers. These people knew caching when all caches were “great caches” and geocaching was at its purest. On the other hand new members in the SC communities have different ideas and valuable ideas and a great zest and energy for caching as it has now evolved. Other state groups have separate forums where those interested in local geocaching can join and discuss all aspects of geocaching in their state. A common area of communication where the state issues can be discussed by everyone and each member gets a say or vote on how the group progresses. Maybe this would still help with the pending bill early next year. It could also help bond members all over the state. State and regional activities could be promoted and discussed to see what and where people want to go and do. Maybe a state coin that was a collaborative design that reflects the SC cachers as a whole, one that everyone gets to add input to. A SCGA geocoin? If everyone in the SCGA knew what was going on and who was working with whom, many others might feel inclined to help and do what they can also. These are just my thoughts and nothing more. I was proud when I went to my first SCGA meeting and have nothing but respect for the founding members. We can all learn much from them. Maybe a little shot in the arm is all that is needed.

Boo hiss on TinSparrow leaving SC! He won’t be too far away though and now we will all have free lodging for some Florida caching, right? Like he said to me one time, he will be in a state that touches a state that touches South Carolina!

No ruffled feathers.

Members listed are current.

Fast Frank and Wanda have been contacted and confirmed their willingness to work on the Steering Comittee Richard.

Sorry to be so short, got a youngun crying behind me.

Members are contacting via email.

X

Edited by Clan X-Man

Of course it's up to the steering commitee members, but there had been very brief discussions about "chapters" and there being a representative or two from each chapter on the state commitee. This would allow each area group be part of the direction of the state group and the whole state be represented.

Probably need to get some momentum on the state level first and try to even things out a bit later.

Of course it's up to the steering commitee members, but there had been very brief discussions about "chapters" and there being a representative or two from each chapter on the state commitee. This would allow each area group be part of the direction of the state group and the whole state be represented.

Probably need to get some momentum on the state level first and try to even things out a bit later.

Better to have everyone on the same level before you get going so you don't have to play catch-up later on

A glimpse at this map suggests that much of the geocaching activity in South Carolina can be found in four or five geographically separated pockets. Getting a large cross section of SC geocachers together will probably require a central location plus an agenda that includes both fun activities and administrivia.

My experience in Georgia is that geocachers would like to have someone handling things like meeting coordination and perhaps a web site with a discussion forum, but they do not want meetings to be consumed by business issues. I'm not suggesting that the geocachers of South Carolina need to do things the same way that they are done somewhere else, but lessons learned elsewhere may be helpful.

Active leadership and involvement are challenges any where. I see it in most of the businesses and manufacturing plants I have the opportunity to work with. The trick is to make it worth someone's time and effort to get involved.

With our travels, we have the opportunity to cache in a number of states. Just last night we attended a superb event in Chapel Hill, NC. They truly celebrated a number of honorees who had achieved some special milestones. I thought the roof was going to come down when they announced Paul and Dot's (GEO13's) reaching 5000 finds. They warmly welcomed others and made sure all present were greeted and made to feel like they were part of the family. It was undoubtedly the best event we've had the opportunity to attend.

Their closeness is also reflected in the quality of their caches. Let there be no doubt, overall the Raleigh-Durham area has the most well thought out caches we've seen any where ... well ... outside of the Columbia puzzles! :P Caches that are a 3 or a 4 difficulty in most areas are a 1 in Raleigh. We recently did a 5 stage micro multi (all bison tubes) that was rated a 2. We stood under the final for a good 10 minutes before we identified the clever hand-made container. It gave new meaning to well integrated! It's a humbling experence ... we totally revamped the ratings on all of our caches after our first trip to Raleigh. Travis, that's where the 2 rating on the Bus Driver came from!

Unfortunately, quite a few of the attendees last night had heard (or worse, experienced) a number of horror stories about caching in SC. In addition to H3777 and our relationship with the legislature, they inquired about our problem caches, difficult cache owners and our new cache review process. We did our best to put a positive spin on things, but frankly, it hurt they had such an impression of SC.

Even worse, new SC cachers haven't been naive to what's going on. One new low-key, very professional cacher recently asked me if he was being harassed (his word) just because he was new. We did our best to relay the benefits of the process, but he didn't buy it. Although others in his family are active in other states, he has since cooled off dramatically after his less than positive interactions with others. It's sad and definitely our loss as his creativity and natural caching skills are among the best we've seen.

Bottom line, a positive and value-added relationship is encouraged, not only with the legislature and our out of state guests, but with each other. It's a sport ... it's entertainment ... let's keep it that way. Along those lines, we will be glad to assist from the Pee Dee in any way we can.

Mike

Of course it's up to the steering commitee members, but there had been very brief discussions about "chapters" and there being a representative or two from each chapter on the state commitee.  This would allow each area group be part of the direction of the state group and the whole state be represented.

Better to have everyone on the same level before you get going so you don't have to play catch-up later on

True, if it doesn't delay moving forward.

I like the idea of sub-chapters. But the first thing to worry about is January and the Senate. IMHO.

X

If things happen like we hope then there will be an agreeable solution and some will hate it but such is life.

People have been working on this who have great connections and I think it is best to leave it to them right now until they tell us for sure what they need us to do. Meanwhile I think everyone else should start getting things in order so when the bill issue is resolved we will have in place the workings of groups who hopefully can come together in the late spring/early summer as one state of geocachers.

IMHO I think we are already toast! We have not advanced far enough in this short period of time to make a difference. With the Senate just around the corner,and Cieps pressing for closure, this anti-caching bill will pass in one form or another. South Carolina used to be a great place to cache until this bill reared it's ugly head. What makes it worse is...It's a complete fabrication...lies made to resemble truth.