Mapping Software

phinstr

I have been a Geocacher for a number of years (very on and off) partially due to the PIA of manually entering the coords into the Etrex. Yes I could buy a more expensive device but I am kind of attached to the little yellow bugger. Anyway, I currently purchased the cabling that will enable me to have my laptop connected to the Etrex connected to power.

My question is, what is a good inexpensive software package to use with this bucket of bolts I have cluged together?javascript:emoticon

I would really like something where I can download my tracks to a map and see where Ive been.......

I'm sure some of you more seasoned Geocachers have opinions out there.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Edited by phinstr
I have been a Geocacher for a number of years (very on and off) partially due to the PIA of manually entering the coords into the Etrex. Yes I could buy a more expensive device but I am kind of attached to the little yellow bugger. Anyway, I currently purchased the cabling that will enable me to have my laptop connected to the Etrex connected to power.

My question is, what is a good inexpensive software package to use with this bucket of bolts I have cluged together?javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

smilie would really like something where I can download my tracks to a map and see where Ive been.......

I'm sure some of you more seasoned Geocachers have opinions out there.

Thanks in advance for your support.

If it's taken you a number of years to "spring" for a cable for your gps, i'm doubting there is any mapping software in your budget range....

Thanks for the quick replies. I will check out the Delorme software.

As for being able to "spring" for the software , it is really much simpler than not having the money. I didnt get the cable out of shear laziness..... and the fact that it has taken some time to finally get my wife involved in geocaching. Now that she enjoys it more, it is getting a little old punching numbers in by hand AND it is easier to justify the expense if the wife is a part of it.

Also, the fact that I have 4 computers wirelessly connected throughout the house and to the internet via fiber optic line may have stressed my "fun" budget a bit. I think my wife thinks I have enough gadgets as it is..... Is that possible?

Thanks for the quick replies. I will check out the Delorme software.

As for being able to "spring" for the software , it is really much simpler than not having the money. I didnt get the cable out of shear laziness..... and the fact that it has taken some time to finally get my wife involved in geocaching. Now that she enjoys it more, it is getting a little old punching numbers in by hand AND it is easier to justify the expense if the wife is a part of it.

Also, the fact that I have 4 computers wirelessly connected throughout the house and to the internet via fiber optic line may have stressed my "fun" budget a bit. I think my wife thinks I have enough gadgets as it is..... Is that possible?

A man can NEVER have too many gadgets (toys)!!.

Good luck with your caching... :anitongue:

My question is, what is a good inexpensive software package to use with this bucket of bolts I have cluged together?javascript:emoticon

I would really like something where I can download my tracks to a map and see where Ive been.......

USAPhotoMaps is free, and you can see your tracks on topo maps and aerial photos. I recently blogged about my favorite gps mapping software, going over some of the different types. Maybe that would help.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

My question is, what is a good inexpensive software package to use with this bucket of bolts I have cluged together?

Your first purchase before any mapping software should be GSAK. It will allow you to easily transfer waypoints into your GPSr, which is what it sounds like you're trying to do. GSAK will also allow you to import caches into mapping software very easily. The mapping software I use is Street Atlast USA PLUS. The "Plus" version costs a little more, but it allows you to view all caches on the map as clickable links that bring up the cache writeup page. The regular version of Street Atlas allows you to view the caches on the map, but not click on them to view the writeup. That hotlink feature is really, really nice when you're traveling in the car and want to quickly see the details of the cache you're approaching.

I recently blogged about my favorite gps mapping software, going over some of the different types. Maybe that would help.

Blog, blog, blog and not a single reference to my favorite, Memory-Map Navigator. No respect! :ph34r: They have a holiday special going on right now, you can get the Discoverer license, along with maps for a selected state (in 1:24k, 1:100k and 1:250k scales), elevation data and searchable placename database for less than $75. Not a bad deal. (It cost me almost $100.) This includes 3D and Pocket PC software.

Blog, blog, blog and not a single reference to my favorite, Memory-Map Navigator. No respect! :lol: They have a holiday special going on right now, you can get the Discoverer license, along with maps for a selected state (in 1:24k, 1:100k and 1:250k scales), elevation data and searchable placename database for less than $75. Not a bad deal. (It cost me almost $100.) This includes 3D and Pocket PC software.

Ah yes, another program on my wish list to try.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey