Would This Move?

Zekester & Simon

Once upon a time someone came up with the idea of generating personalized coins as cool swag for geocaching. Some of them were trackable.

Then came market forces.

Our question is, would drilled coins similar to TBMEPQ travel, or would they still be snapped up by collectors?

We intentionally put this in the coin collectors forum, please don't move it.

Thanks -

Z&S

If the drilled coin is trackable on GC, it won't move very far because trackable coins, even USA coins, are still very scarce out in the general caching population. Even though its drilled it still conveys an icon and people will want to keep it to show their friends and take it to events. (see Jeep travel bugs) It's also pretty redundant to put a travel bug on a trackable coin.

If the drilled coin isn't trackable and it's just a very pretty coin you want lots of people to see, doesn't drilling it sort of ruin the aesthetic value of it, thereby defeating the value of sending it out in the first place?

Why would someone show people stolen drilled coin? If someone does that to me I'd say take that back to caches where it should be IDIOT!

Ever been to an event where somebody pulls out a Jeep travel bug? That's seems to be what's happened to at least 80% of the Jeeps and everybody knows the Jeeps are supposed to be in caches. It's about the same difference with a drilled coin. I think most people's reaction would be "Why did they ruin that coin by drilling a hole in it? Have they been wearing it as a necklace?" :anitongue:

It's also pretty redundant to put a travel bug on a trackable coin.

Really we had two ideas. One was how to get a coin to move vice being stolen. That is the nature of the coin we referenced in the initial post. The other concept is a trackable geocoin as the TB tag. Not adding another trackable tag. That would indeed have no point. The coin referred to in my initial post is a coin that is modified to make it less trackable and more likely to move. Coin travelling solo.

Take a look at TBMEH5. This better illustrates the second idea.

Using USAgeocoins is the initial idea, because they are more common and less collectible, and likely cheaper. Because they have an icon, cachers may be more likely to find them as they will seek that find for the icon. The same concept, however applies to other trackable coins that have icons. Some people collect coins, some collect icons, some both some neither.

We concur that the more highly valued as a collectible, the more moral courage reuired to leave the coin in circulation, and thus the less liklihood it will move. While we have the utmost respect for those who are able to amass collections of attractive trackable coins, we would rather see those coins circulate so that every one can share the joy. Obviously we are talking about coins "harvested from the wild" not ones people have puchased directly.

Should the Monet be in a private home or in a museum where everyone can enjoy it?

Well, we can dream, can't we...

Edited by Zekester & Simon

I like the idea of the lock on the coin. Makes it a little harder for the 'collectors' (or should I say 'bandits') out there to snag it up. I put out a MiGO coin (early non-trackable style) with a hole drilled and a TB tag attached to it just to see if it would go. The first person that came by picked it up. It was their first cache and first TB. So far, even after an email ("Don't worry, we'll get it back out very soon"), they have not visited another cache since.

Part of the basic problem is indicated in the posts I read here. Doesn't matter if it's a Mountain Bike, John Lacey, or solid gold - It's not your coin!. It's a TB and it belongs to someone else. Just because it's collectible and hard to find, doesn't give someone the right to claim it for their collection. And the people who are holding on to a trackable coin or TB that's not their own, moving it from cache to cache to event, are just doing the same thing - keeping it for themselves. They've just tried to justify in their own mind, the reason they're holding it for so long.

TB's are meant to travel. Go from cache to cache, person to person following the directions the owner wants. If you're not interested in doing that - Leave It Alone and let someone else who will do it properly take it.

I'm not trying to convince the people who pick up coins or TB's with 'cute toys' attached to them and keep them for their collection or 'Poor little Bobby/Betsy just can't give up that fuzzy little animal', not to do it. They're going to do it whether I think it's wrong or not. That just teaches the kids that it's OK to take what they want without trading up. My thoughts here were to tell that new person, who is just starting out, to play the game in the spirit in which it is intended.

Why would someone show people stolen drilled coin? If someone does that to me I'd say take that back to caches where it should be IDIOT!

Ever been to an event where somebody pulls out a Jeep travel bug? That's seems to be what's happened to at least 80% of the Jeeps and everybody knows the Jeeps are supposed to be in caches. It's about the same difference with a drilled coin. I think most people's reaction would be "Why did they ruin that coin by drilling a hole in it? Have they been wearing it as a necklace?" :anitongue:

Nope never seen that here in Finland. The few Jeeps that travel here are in caches. Whats the point of keeping toycar for yourself anyway? Isn't it much more fun to find it from caches than just "grabing" it from events?

Nope never seen that here in Finland. The few Jeeps that travel here are in caches. Whats the point of keeping toycar for yourself anyway? Isn't it much more fun to find it from caches than just "grabing" it from events?

I've only seen/moved one WJTB a fellow cacher found it logged it and brought to a 1K event where I picked it up logged it and then dropped into a challenging cache. If that cacher hadn't brought to the event I may not have ever seen one.

I've only seen/moved one WJTB a fellow cacher found it logged it and brought to a 1K event where I picked it up logged it and then dropped into a challenging cache. If that cacher hadn't brought to the event I may not have ever seen one.

I agree with you.. there is nothing wrong to take jeeps to events but it's quite weird if that person keeps the jeep for himself and only lets people to take it's tracking number.

I agree with you.. there is nothing wrong to take jeeps to events but it's quite weird if that person keeps the jeep for himself and only lets people to take it's tracking number.

I don't think many people will come out and say they're going to keep the Jeep for themselves but there's always another event they need to take it to in just a few weeks, which is followed by another event, and so on and so on. I agree that they should put them in caches where they belong but in practice it just doesn't happen, at least not where I live.

I don't think many people will come out and say they're going to keep the Jeep for themselves but there's always another event they need to take it to in just a few weeks, which is followed by another event, and so on and so on. I agree that they should put them in caches where they belong but in practice it just doesn't happen, at least not where I live.

Personally I'm not much on the idea of taking jeeps or coins or anything to an event and then letting a bunch of people log it. In my mind if your going to log a find on a jeep or tb or coin then you should not be able to log it unless you find it in a cache and move it to another one. Maybe I'm being a bit picky but isn't that the intention of the things in the first place??

I have seen people in this area hang on to coins and jeeps and just bring them to events so other people can log them. Coins in particular are attractive items and people love getting the little icons beside their name. But just seeing a coin at an event and logging it because you got the tracking number and saw it there is a bit cheesy.

I realize that many people will disagree with me but hey, I've been told I'm strange anyway.. :anitongue:

We think this a cool idea and decided to make one of our SG coins a TB

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...75-09666cca5207

I thought that would be a good idea too and tried it with a "Joy of Geocaching" coin back several months ago. You can see what happened to it:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=68575

do you think someone took it because thy wanted the coin or because they just misplaced it or are not currently caching.

because if I was gonna steal a coin I would not have logged into my possesion. or if it was in my possision on GC.com I would have made a fake dummy drop.

We have 17 travle bugs and only 7 of them have moved in the last few months. I suspect that trackable geocoins may go MIA a little more often but the fact is all travelers are likely to go MIA. Just a matter of time.

do you think someone took it because they wanted the coin or because they just misplaced it or are not currently caching.

I think there are all sorts of possible reasons why coins don't get circulated. In this case the person who has it has been caching several times since July so I'm sure he has had several chances to put it back out. Whenever you log a found cache you get a box with the option to put some of your inventory in the cache which ought to serve as a reminder that you have the item. I've started putting out laminated pictures of my coins to serve as surrogates because I wanted to see coins be out in the field to be found but I feel like a sucker when they disappear. Sadly, even the laminated coins don't circulate as well as I'd like. The good thing is that I can restart them.

Hee Hee I also drilled a hole in one of my DHobby1 Orginal Coin and attached a Travel Bug Tag. Thought this would be way cool to let fokes see this outstanding work of art. It was dropped in a cache and the first preson to the cache took it.

One more Geocoin and Travel Bug went MIA!! :ph34r::lol::)

After reading these posts here I have to say I'm really lucky to live in Europe.. what's the mateer with you guys there??? Sounds really bad. Maybe this has something to do with George W. :ph34r:

Not trying to upset anyone but lets not bust on our President.

Edited by Cav Scout
I thought about drilling a hole and put a bolt through it and weld the nut on so to remove the bolt and nut someone would need to totally distroy the coin.also engrave owned by XXXXXX (don't think someone would want to show that off to people at events.

COOL! a coin with a bolt through it? How unique!

I'd have to steal that if I found it in a cache! :lol:

I've started putting out laminated pictures of my coins to serve as surrogates because I wanted to see coins be out in the field to be found but I feel like a sucker when they disappear. Sadly, even the laminated coins don't circulate as well as I'd like. The good thing is that I can restart them.

this is what i have done to my coins. i read it in another string.

only one has been picked up, according to the site. on is in a 'you gotta do the cache or you won't find it' site. i was just there, adding more coins. the other i have not checked on to see if they are still there. i should know when someone logs their find of it.

people actually want to steal a laminated piece of paper? maybe the future (minority reportesque) will bring technology to punish this sort of theft.

these types of travel bugs have added a whole new aspect to the game of geocaching. when people remove components like this (coins), do they not know they are ruining the game for at least one other person [the owner] if not every other cacher that might encounter the item.