Twelve Year Old Gpser

TCE

some foreign GPS web pageWe were given a twelve year old GPSer. How far back do GPSers go???

And, on a side note, does anyone know how to get the battery cover off a Magellan NAV 5000A? This thing is literally the size of a brick, and about 6 times the size of my little Legend.

I'd post a pic of it, but I don't have a site to upload it to for the link.

Okay, I put in the site of some foreign GPS site on here, and the pic is about the third one down. It says "Magellan NAV 5000A" next to it on the right hand side. I've never posted a pic, so we'll see if it works :lol:

Edited by TCE

Looks like a thread for the GPS section. (Hint hint... :lol: )

Your link didn't work for me, if you get it going I'll post a pic for you.

The site I did find was interesting, it had to do with aviation units, but I couldn't make out the Swedish too good, I'll have to get my translator working.

Texas Instruments introduced the first GPS receiver in 1982. A marvel of engineering for its time, the Texas Instruments TI-4100 led the way by being the first commercially available GPS receiver. The bulky, $140,000 instrument was snapped up by surveyors and explorers alike, and used for remote surveys all around the world. The unit was huge, about the size of a small box, weighed probably 80 pounds, needed two 12V car batteries to power it, and tracked a whopping 5 GPS satellites using a multiplexing technology (at this time that there were only about 4 or 5 operational GPS satellites available).

There was Government involvement in the development of the TI-4100. That is probably why Trimble can say they Introduced the first commercial GPS positioning product in 1984

First European GPS receiver developed by Sercel in 1985.

Magellan Systems Corporation consumer GPS company founded in California in 1986. Magellan NAV 1000 introduced as the world's first commercial handheld in 1989.

Garmin has only been around since 1989

(GPS 100AVD Portable/panel mount GPS June 1991)

Here a pic of an Eagle accunav sport. It was my first gps in 1994.

It could track 4 sattelites at a time and refreshed every few seconds. It sucked 6 AA batts bone dry in about 8 hours.

With SA on you could get about 500 feet accuracy on a good clear day, but that was usually enough to get you back to camp or your jeep...so it was still amazing technology.

pro-a004.gif

I was playing with these for the Marine Corps in 1996. And, to be completely honest, at that time, I literally put the thing back in my pack, and got out my map/compass, figuring the thing would get me killed. In looking for ammo cans (funny how that hasn't changed much...LOL) I'd get the thing down to about 50 meters, so I'd look around, look back at the thing, and it was saying 2km. I'm glad they've gotten better over the years.

PLGR

Later!