Texas Bluebonnet 2006 Coins Requests Are Open!

crake

Yup - its ANOTHER geocoin! This is my Central Texas coin:

BluebonnetPreview.jpg

In order to calculate how many coins to order, I am taking requests. Here's how it will work:

Between now and December 18, fellow geocachers are invited to submit requests for coins online at the Texas Bluebonnet 2006 Request Page.

>>>Due to my automation scheme, I will not be able to take request from this thread, so please use the online form! <<<

Once I receive and approve the pre-production coin, I will send invitations to those who request coins to place their order. This will likely occur in mid-January. One week later, orders will open to those who did not place requests. This will happen on a first come, first served basis.

I expect coins to ship sometime in February - just in time for Bluebonnet season!

Enjoy!

Edited by crake

This is a copy of a message I sent to the OP via the central texas geocachers yahoo group:

Looks good. I'd suggest saving some money by deleting the GC.com

tracking, though. None of these geocoins will ever make it into a

cache unless you put them there, and then the first geocoin addict to

find one will just put it in their coin book. $1.50 per coin wasted,

imho... Serial numbered though is a good idea for collectability.

Also, that compass looks too realistic. You will be responsible for

getting countless (Texas A&M) Aggies lost in the woods when they trade their GPS

for the 'neato compass' and realize only after it's too late that the

compass they just traded for is 'broken.' (voice of experience,

class of '89 here, gig 'em :blink:

-mark

Edited by Hugh Jazz
Is this a personal coin, or a Central Texas Coin? The FAQ on your page says it personal. but the header for this topic states "Central Texas Geocoin" so will the tracking be PC or unique?

It is a personal geocoin, in that it is my design, and the compass is my personal compass. However I designed it to be a tribute to Central Texas (thus there is no personal info on the front), thus the title.

There are a lot of requests for icons, so I need to investigate that further. But for now, I do not plan on having a custom icon (but, who knows?).

Looks good.  I'd suggest saving some money by deleting the GC.com 

tracking, though.  None of these geocoins will ever make it into a 

cache unless you put them there, and then the first geocoin addict to 

find one will just put it in their coin book.  $1.50 per coin wasted, 

imho...  Serial numbered though is a good idea for collectability.

Also, that compass looks too realistic.  You will be responsible for 

getting countless (Texas A&M) Aggies lost in the woods when they trade their GPS 

for the 'neato compass' and realize only after it's too late that the 

compass they just traded for is 'broken.'  (voice of experience, 

class of '89 here, gig 'em :ph34r:

I debated gc tracking for quite a while, and you're right - its $1.50 per coin. One option is to have 2 runs - one with the gc tracking, and the other with just a serial number, and then charge the $1.50 only to those who want it :D

On A&M, I'm surprised you didn't say it it would get Longhorns lost in the woods given you're an Aggie :ph34r:

Edited by crake

I debated gc tracking for quite a while, and you're right - its $1.50 per coin. One option is to have 2 runs - one with the gc tracking, and the other with just a serial number, and then charge the $1.50 only to those who want it :D

Depending on how many you are minting this may of may not be a great option. Keep in mind that if you do this as an option you will need to have an additional die cast because the non trackable ones don't need the "Track this coin at www.goecaching.com" And unless you have the trackable ones numbered with both a sequential ## and the tracking number I'm sure some people will be unhappy that they have only a tracking number and no clue what number ther coin is (this will add extra to the trackable coins since most places charge more to engrave/etch more than 6 characters).

Sorry to be the devils advocate just wanted to point out the cost implications before you make an actual decison.

I debated gc tracking for quite a while, and you're right - its $1.50 per coin.  One option is to have 2 runs - one with the gc tracking, and the other with just a serial number, and then charge the $1.50 only to those who want it :D

Depending on how many you are minting this may of may not be a great option. Keep in mind that if you do this as an option you will need to have an additional die cast because the non trackable ones don't need the "Track this coin at www.goecaching.com" And unless you have the trackable ones numbered with both a sequential ## and the tracking number I'm sure some people will be unhappy that they have only a tracking number and no clue what number ther coin is (this will add extra to the trackable coins since most places charge more to engrave/etch more than 6 characters).

Sorry to be the devils advocate just wanted to point out the cost implications before you make an actual decison.

Another option would be to ask the minter if they can strike up the non GC trackable coins first THEN add the GC tracking info to the die to create the rest.

The trackable coins would have tracking numbers and the rest could just be numbered 1 - whatever.

They may or may not go for it but it doesn't cost anything to ask.

Nuts....? I'll take 1 gold, 1 Silver. :lol:B)B)

Let's see, Nickel, LE Gold, bronze, and 100% silver - then there's the antique copper and silver versions, and don't forget the classic black nickel. Don't forget the luggage tag version that's available exclusively on ebay!

How far can we take this? B)